2002 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Great car
By JON on 08/15/08 11:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great since i bought it. I am the second owner of this used car and i love it. it has held up well considering the mileage i have put on it. although the gas mileage isn't great, (i get about 20 mpg) it is decent. this car is definitely worth your money.

Good Car
By so far so good on 05/11/07 14:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

76000 miles on a 4 cylinder and it's still doing well. Almost paid off, and no problems, except for a leaky windshield that the dealer tried to fix 4 times, but the leak is minor, and I gave up.

Never again
By jules24 on 08/28/06 13:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Liberty is a very handsome vehicle, but they can be handsome all day long and it won't help you much if they are in the shop with something wrong, like tail lights that fill up with water, differential seal leaks, ball joint problems, A/C problems, windows that fail to go up and down all at the tender age of 4. And gas mileage that really stinks. Come on Jeep, you can do better than this.

Needs Refinement
By afguy on 06/19/06 19:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good vehicle. The engine has a lot of pinging and knocking which cannot be done away with. Steering is very touchy and gas is horrible (15-16 mpg average). It is hard to get non-Mopar accessories to fit the rear hitch due to the spare tire sticking out so far. I also wish I had the color matched flares and bumpers because they are starting to fade. Seats are a little uncomfortable too. I find my lower back gets tight after more than 45 minutes of driving.

Love it!
By Laura on 01/19/06 12:58 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have the stripped down version; no A/C, no power anything, manual transmission. However, 3.7liter V6, is great. I have no engine or transmission problems at all. Gas mileage could be a bit higher, but ... it's a Jeep which also accounts for a bit of a bumpy ride. Unlike other small SUV's this one can go off roading a little better and I feel safer to get back home ... it's a Jeep. One problem I had is the back window will not open sometimes. Since I do not have power anything, the only way to get it open is with the key on the handle. It stuck on me several times, intermittent though. Kids fit great in the back seat, plus I can haul stuff too. Overall, great vehicle for the price.

Electronic Problems & Gas Hog
By Toby on 09/17/05 22:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Doing it over again, I wouldn't buy a Liberty. It is a gas hog; I get about 15 miles per gallon. Plus, I experience chronic electronic problems. For instance, I pulled over for a failed left turn and brake lamp. I got home, and the light worked fine. The dome light goes on and off, and the turn signal occasionally turns on and won't go off without stopping and restarting the engine. There is also a slip in the transmission. When I brake, it down-shifts violently. I take it in, they hook it to a computer, and it works fine for a few months. Then, it gradually comes on again.

my thoughts
By jennszu on 09/05/05 22:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Liberty. We bought it when it first came out, and now there is one on every corner! Original tires were awful, but new tires make all the difference. You can't complain about the bumpy ride since it is, after all, a Jeep. In the winter it handles like a dream. When the streets are impossible for cars to drive down, I can easily get around. The part time 4WD is great to have in my area. I just love this thing! MPG needs improvement though.

Review after 2 years (27k miles)
By Mait on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

First, this vehicle came with a poor choice of tires (Wrangler ST) so I upgraded after 18m miles to the larger, fatter Firestone Destination LE (yes Firestone) tires. For $350.00, it TOTALLY changed the way I feel about my Jeep. I love it. My family of just 3 went out to AZ with Seadoo in tow in June and the Liberty did just great up and down hills and through the desert from South Texas to Lake Havasu City (1200 miles each way). It carried all our luggage, lake gear, vhs, toolboxes, chests, etc. with no obstruction in back window and 60/40 back seat flipped down. Absent "slippery in rain" tire issue, this Jeep has given me zero problems. As for gas, its an SUV!!! Great towing capability!

Great all-rounder
By Vlad on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Jeep has serves me well. Used in Arizona/New Jersey in all sorts of weather/road conditions. Pros: Excellent aircon; Comfortable ride; Unpainted fender and bumpers on sport model still look new even though bumped and scratched; Reliable: only replaced rear window motor under warranty and ball joints (recall). Replacing engine and transmission oil is important to great running; Brakes are good good but keep in mind weight of vehicle on wet/icy roads. Cons: must slow down in wet; mediocre Premium CD/radio

My review
By A$ on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Good car, but the brakes are not as responsive as my former car (Altima- anti-lock brakes). The ride is a little too bumpy for my taste. Any little bump, and your shifted around in your seat. Not meant for around-town driving that I do.