Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Great car
By JON

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great since i bought it. I am the second owner of this used car and i love it. it has held up well considering the mileage i have put on it. although the gas mileage isn't great, (i get about 20 mpg) it is decent. this car is definitely worth your money.

Favorite Features

tight steering, very reliable, good looking car.

Good Car
By so far so good

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

76000 miles on a 4 cylinder and it's still doing well. Almost paid off, and no problems, except for a leaky windshield that the dealer tried to fix 4 times, but the leak is minor, and I gave up.

Favorite Features

Good stickshift, easy to drive. Comfortable seats.

Never again
By jules24

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Liberty is a very handsome vehicle, but they can be handsome all day long and it won't help you much if they are in the shop with something wrong, like tail lights that fill up with water, differential seal leaks, ball joint problems, A/C problems, windows that fail to go up and down all at the tender age of 4. And gas mileage that really stinks. Come on Jeep, you can do better than this.

Favorite Features

It really is a the best looking small SUV out there. I love the looks of them.

Suggested Improvements

Better working parts. I've had many, many mechanics tell me now that Jeeps are notorious for bad A/C, bad transmissions, and bad gas mileage. Why is that?

Needs Refinement
By afguy

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good vehicle. The engine has a lot of pinging and knocking which cannot be done away with. Steering is very touchy and gas is horrible (15-16 mpg average). It is hard to get non-Mopar accessories to fit the rear hitch due to the spare tire sticking out so far. I also wish I had the color matched flares and bumpers because they are starting to fade. Seats are a little uncomfortable too. I find my lower back gets tight after more than 45 minutes of driving.

Favorite Features

Smooth suspension, stylish alloy wheels, cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Make back seats fold flat instead of angled, engine noise, gas mileage, tuck spare closer to gate, make gate open up instead of to the left.

Love it!
By Laura

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have the stripped down version; no A/C, no power anything, manual transmission. However, 3.7liter V6, is great. I have no engine or transmission problems at all. Gas mileage could be a bit higher, but ... it's a Jeep which also accounts for a bit of a bumpy ride. Unlike other small SUV's this one can go off roading a little better and I feel safer to get back home ... it's a Jeep. One problem I had is the back window will not open sometimes. Since I do not have power anything, the only way to get it open is with the key on the handle. It stuck on me several times, intermittent though. Kids fit great in the back seat, plus I can haul stuff too. Overall, great vehicle for the price.

Favorite Features

Turn radius, reliability, Jeep look, Jeep feel, Jeep offroading capability. Hauling capability, and towing capability.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage needs improvement, better tires, braking at higher speed leaves something to be desired at times.