Used 2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

My first Jeep
By Roger

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I made a great choice for a first Jeep. In fact if I had to make the choice all over again I'd choose this car again. I bought it new in Nov of 02 Its now 14(!) years later and it has 170k miles on it. It drives well as long as you have the correct tires on it. I've taken off road into the back country and driven coast to coast in it. Its a trooper. If I had one gripe its all my fault. Sometimes I really wish I had a trunk to lock things in. But then it wouldn't be a jeep. Its on its last legs now. I think its a year away from retirement. I give all my used cars to charity. The body and interior and are in excellent condition. I'm sure they will be glad to have it.

Great little Jeep!
By caddichris

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '02 Liberty Sport V-6 4wd in '06, it had 56,000 miles on it. I bought it with a rebuilt trans and over the years had a few problems. Overall it's a wonderful little SUV! My only real issue is that the gas mileage is poor. It did not get what the manufacture stated it would. I had it to Jeep a few times and they said that this is how they are. I get 10-11mpg city and 15 hwy. Aside from that it's a handsome looking Jeep and a workhorse with carrying materials as I remodel my home. The 4wd is awesome in the snow! I currently have 104,900k and it still looks and rides great!

Best car, ever!
By kg0411

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '02 Jeep Liberty in 2007 with around 60,000 miles on it. I absolutely loved it. I never had any problems with it until 2015, after it reached over 170,000 miles on it. I had the radiator, and starter replaced and it started making a metal on metal noise from the front end of the car. No mechanic has been able to pin point what the noise is, but I figured it was time to trade her in before putting any more money into such an old car. Absolutely love this car, if I had the money I would buy another Jeep Liberty in a heartbeat!!!

Will NOT Purchase another!!
By Amber

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I only had my Jeep Liberty for a few months before I decided it was not reliable! From the second I drove off with it I knew something wasn't right. I had to instantly replace the brakes, rotors, ball joints, and struts. It still didn't ride correctly. I then had to replace the condenser and discharge line. I never figured out what exactly was wrong with it as far as the driving goes. I feel like maybe it was just the way it's made. I just got tired of putting money into it so I got rid of it. It got around 9 miles per gallon on the highway! I had serious problems with the steering. I HAD to drive with both hands and use some muscle just to keep it in the road especially at a high speed like on a highway. I do not recommend this vehicle especially if you have small children you want to protect!!!

Still have my 2002!
By Gail

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this jeep when the 2002 hit the showroom floor. I absolutely love it. Currently has around 175,000 miles on it. Over the 13 years I've had it the first 11were awesome. The only problem was that the a/c compressor had to be replaced at about year 6 (80,000 miles or so). Regularly maintained. Recently had to replace the fan. Both rear doors/windows are problematic. One of the doors won't open from the inside or out and the window won't open on the other. Minor considering the overall reliability. She still looks good on the outside. Driver side carpet and upholstery are very worn, but that is to be expected. I want my next vehicle to be a Jeep, but hopefully that will be several years from now!

• SUV