2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Should've got the ford fixed
By cjthomas on 01/24/14 08:45 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this truck from my sister after I crashed my ford escape because she wanted to get a new car, it had about 207,000 and was in pretty good shape but about 2,000 miles later the engine started making noises and I wasn't sure waht it was so I took it to my friend who was good with cars and he told me that it was a knock which means that the engine is basically on its way out and it's gonna cost me $$$ to get the engine replaced and I already scraped the escape and handed over the title so I'm pretty much screwed, would've cost way less to repair my escape.

Surprisingly Good
By originalsteven on 08/07/13 10:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car used in august 2012, It had 150K+ miles on it I don't remember. At first I just needed a 4x4 in the winter in Spokane because the road can get bad. With no snow tires and basically all in part time 4x4 it handled flawlessly. Everything was perfect except for some creak in the driver door but hey. I didn't much care for the car but time and time again it blows me away. Infinity speakers, roomy and stylish inside and out. and Reliable. I even took it off road and I was impressed. have 170k in a few weeks and still strong. Got 12mpg in city at first but with K&N stock filter upgrade, new spark plugs, oil change and Seafoam It went to 15 1/2 mpg and over 21 on the HWY!

engine failuer
By rocky79 on 01/25/13 12:39 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 liberty in 2004. I have loved this vehicle since I first purchased it, the maintanence cost have been very low, I have maintained this vehicle almost to perfection with regular oil changes etc. One day it stopped working with no warning, Come to find out the engine is blown, now with more research I am finding this is a known issue. I dont even have 109,000 miles on this vehicle, it is in almost perfect condition. Now I am stuck with a worthless vehicle that I cannot even trade in, I am very disappointed I would have purchased another Jeep in a heartbeat had this not happened, now I will never touch Chrysler/Jeep again.

A true lemon
By jrg11 on 12/23/12 22:40 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Picked up my 2002 liberty from a family member that nurtures her vehicles. This problem child does not give up when it comes to costing me dollars for repairs. The list is long, and now a #2 cylinder valve issue. Obviously, Chrysler knows about this, but take sno action in resolving. Once I junk this pig, I will never touch another chrysler vehicle again. [non-permissible content removed]

Transmission Failure at 90,000
By bisjoe on 10/28/12 17:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

For the first 9+ years the Liberty did very well as far as liability, other than the several recalls. Even the original battery lasted 9 years. Then at about 90,000 it started to have problems. We had to rebuild the transmission at a cost of $3,400. There's a leak requiring new seals on the rear differential, and the HVAC fan resistor is shot so we only get speeds 3 and 4. After spending so much on the transmission we will go ahead and fix the rest, and try to get another 50,000 out of it but I'm not very optimistic. It is fun to drive, the body and interior are like new and it handles well in snow.

She saved my life...
By derbygrl on 10/24/12 20:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

And now I only hope to replace my Liberty. No joke, I had a run-in with a semi and lost on a night in ND where the winds and rain were blowing over 50 mph. I bounced off of the underside of the trailer, totaled my Jeep, and did not even have a scratch. (Oh, by the way, the engine is perfectly fine!) While test driving other cars, trucks, and SUVs, I have not been able to find anything that has that snap and power I am looking for. I did my research here on Edmunds and other sites, and made sure all the ancient recall work was done before I bought it with 100,000 miles. I never had a problem! Sure it is thirsty at the pump, but I put it in my budget and dealt. I miss my Jeep!

'02 Jeep, Best First Car Ever! A Must Buy!!!!!!!
By vikki3710 on 09/23/12 16:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Seriously this is my first car and i have to say that i love it! Treats me great! Bought it about 5 months ago with 126,000 miles on it and havnt looked back. Nothing needed replaced except the o2 cencer which the guy replaced for me so that was an easy fix of course. But all in all it is a wonder full car with great features, only thing that sucks is gas milage but hey i bought it so i have to live with it!:D

Won't Die
By car_guy_93 on 09/05/12 23:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This car just won't die!My wife has been driving hers for the past few years,now has 187k on it and still truckin'. We have had some issues, entire exhaust system,some front end work, but nothing huge and serious, knock on wood! We did have unresolved 4WD issues last winter...we will see about this one! Definitely a noisy ride, then again we have had exhaust issues. Theres also plenty of loose 'clunky' sounds that our mechanic cannot find, that make me a little nervous. I wouldn't label this car particularly reliable or unreliable. I will say its a blast to drive and has excellent pickup, and my car is 6 years newer. You would have to rip it out of my wife's hands for her to get rid of it!

The non-addresses 2002 liberty engine issue
By kurivial on 08/30/12 03:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

am reporting review (138141727) (Jeep Engine Failures due to Valve Seats) because My daughter bought a 2002 Jeep Liberty 1 month ago. We changed the oil and I had her check it every two weeks since the vehicle was new to her. She did as I said for a couple weeks and said it used none. She is very diligent at watching her mileage to plan oil changes ever 3000 miles. She went to work and the engine started to knock. She checked the oil and found it 3 quarts low and got no low oil warning. We took it to a shop and it needs a new engine. We found out no reputable salvage yard wants to sell the engine due to a known oil gear issue, so they will not even warranty one with low miles. A rebuilt motor with the oil gear issue fixed costs $3200.00. With labor my daughter is looking at $4500.00 to replace an engine with only 119000 miles. I searched the internet on 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7 engine. I found many complaints regarding the blown motor. The average seems to be 96000 miles. Many people online said they contacted jeep and they said they were SOL. I don't expect a new engine for nothing, but when the average vehicle today does 250000 miles by most manufacturers and Toyota is at 400000. I would like to see an American company doing everything it can to create customer loyalty. Thank You, Steve

Best vehicle I've owned!
By jeepsrock1 on 05/29/12 09:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this Liberty for over 8 years. It's reliable, would drive it anywhere! For 8 years we've put new tires on, brakes, oil changes and that's it! It has not needed anything but normal maintenance nothing!! It's so easy to drive and park being small and there's only one thing I wish was different and that's the MPG, which can be helped some by driving sensibly.