Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Not The Best
By ashwallace

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

One of the worse vehicles I have ever driven. I have only had my 2002 jeep for a year and i have had to replace the power steering 2 times, the oil had a leak in it so I had to fix that, we fixed the starter 2 months ago and now it won't start again, the heat went out in it and nobody can seem to find the problem with it. It is not a reliable vehicle and I wouldn't trust it.

Favorite Features

I love the build of the vehicle and it has good space in the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The whole mechanics of the vehicle needs to be changed.

Should've got the ford fixed
By cjthomas

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this truck from my sister after I crashed my ford escape because she wanted to get a new car, it had about 207,000 and was in pretty good shape but about 2,000 miles later the engine started making noises and I wasn't sure waht it was so I took it to my friend who was good with cars and he told me that it was a knock which means that the engine is basically on its way out and it's gonna cost me $$$ to get the engine replaced and I already scraped the escape and handed over the title so I'm pretty much screwed, would've cost way less to repair my escape.

Favorite Features

I liked how it rides and it way pretty nice looking

Suggested Improvements

The window switch placement is HORRIBLE. it's so wierd...

Surprisingly Good
By originalsteven

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car used in august 2012, It had 150K+ miles on it I don't remember. At first I just needed a 4x4 in the winter in Spokane because the road can get bad. With no snow tires and basically all in part time 4x4 it handled flawlessly. Everything was perfect except for some creak in the driver door but hey. I didn't much care for the car but time and time again it blows me away. Infinity speakers, roomy and stylish inside and out. and Reliable. I even took it off road and I was impressed. have 170k in a few weeks and still strong. Got 12mpg in city at first but with K&N stock filter upgrade, new spark plugs, oil change and Seafoam It went to 15 1/2 mpg and over 21 on the HWY!

Favorite Features

I like that I ride up taller then a car. Its suspension can be kinda rough and maybe needing to be replaced here soon but after I did some maintenance on it and seafoam the engine, fuel and vacuum lines its runs so smooth I stopped at a light and thought the engine turned off! Ran on the highway smooth too. set the cruise control on at 70mph and forget your in a jeep. The seats and storage is nice had to move and this was the primary vehicle for the job. Came with a tow hitch and plan on pulling a small flat bed for storage and gear when camping next summer. I like how much power this has and its loud. the way it handles in the SNOW is my most favorite Feature. and the ABS brakes work great.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not my favorite. filling up 18.5 gallons at 3.84 a gallon is terrible. My last car got 24/29 and the car before that got 25/33. My family will be having 3 cars here soon. The wife gets the luxury car, I get the jeep for recreation and utilities. and a small gas saver car for going back and forth for commuting Needs a larger double din stereo so we can upgrade to a 7" screen with GPS. more cup holders don't put the cup holder on the door in rear too hard for people to get at and only big enough for a soda can. I HATE THE HOOD LIFTERS. Its shocks that lift the hood ware out all the time. they cost almost $40 a piece where a simple bar or spring could do the job better.

engine failuer
By rocky79

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 liberty in 2004. I have loved this vehicle since I first purchased it, the maintanence cost have been very low, I have maintained this vehicle almost to perfection with regular oil changes etc. One day it stopped working with no warning, Come to find out the engine is blown, now with more research I am finding this is a known issue. I dont even have 109,000 miles on this vehicle, it is in almost perfect condition. Now I am stuck with a worthless vehicle that I cannot even trade in, I am very disappointed I would have purchased another Jeep in a heartbeat had this not happened, now I will never touch Chrysler/Jeep again.

A true lemon
By jrg11

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Picked up my 2002 liberty from a family member that nurtures her vehicles. This problem child does not give up when it comes to costing me dollars for repairs. The list is long, and now a #2 cylinder valve issue. Obviously, Chrysler knows about this, but take sno action in resolving. Once I junk this pig, I will never touch another chrysler vehicle again. [non-permissible content removed]