Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Still have my 2002!
By Gail

2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this jeep when the 2002 hit the showroom floor. I absolutely love it. Currently has around 175,000 miles on it. Over the 13 years I've had it the first 11were awesome. The only problem was that the a/c compressor had to be replaced at about year 6 (80,000 miles or so). Regularly maintained. Recently had to replace the fan. Both rear doors/windows are problematic. One of the doors won't open from the inside or out and the window won't open on the other. Minor considering the overall reliability. She still looks good on the outside. Driver side carpet and upholstery are very worn, but that is to be expected. I want my next vehicle to be a Jeep, but hopefully that will be several years from now!

Was a good vehicle until ...
By Cindy

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

...the engine blew at 130,000 miles. I really enjoyed driving my jeep and loved the room that it had. I took good care of it and had expected it to last a lot longer than what it did. Like I have read from so many others, my jeep engine blew up at just 130,000 miles. There was no sign of an oil leak and I didn't notice anything out of sorts until one day it started to knock and the engine blew a rod. I had regular oil changes and maintenance at the jeep dealer here in my town. For all of you saying that those of us that had engine failure with our jeeps that we didn't take care of them, that is not true. The jeep engine has a flaw and the manufacturer should comp us for this. Having a vehicle fail at only 130,000 miles put me into major disarray as I have no family where I live or close and had to get to work daily which required bumming a ride and borrowing a friends car for a week until I could get a day (1 day) to find another vehicle to purchase. I had to rent a car to go look at vehicles even. Hence now I have car payments again. For as much as vehicles cost there is NO WAY that they should have engine failure at 130,000 miles. Needless to say I went from an EXTREMELY proud and happy Jeep owner to an EXTREMELY upset and disgruntled undrivable jeep owner. I also had other issues that, as I have done research, find are very common and expected on my model of jeep. My power window motor stopped working and I ended up having to Duct tape it up so it wouldn't rain in my jeep. It was a back window that didn't get frequent use as I rarely had anyone sit in the back. I had bearing problems with some front end bearings, my leather front seats did not wear well at all, and now the recall for the gas tank , which I can't get my jeep fixed because I would have to pay a tow truck to take it to the shop. So now when I go to sell it for parts, or if someone wants to fix it up, the recall of the gas tank could be a major issue with selling it. Such a shame to trust a "respected" brand and find out that lots of others have had the same issue and that the manufacturer will not make this right with us. I will NEVER own another Jeep and have since changed completely from US made vehicles to foreign made. My ratings are based on how the vehicle performed Before the motor blew up. I would recommend anyone that wants to purchase a Jeep to reconsider.

Not The Best
By ashwallace

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

One of the worse vehicles I have ever driven. I have only had my 2002 jeep for a year and i have had to replace the power steering 2 times, the oil had a leak in it so I had to fix that, we fixed the starter 2 months ago and now it won't start again, the heat went out in it and nobody can seem to find the problem with it. It is not a reliable vehicle and I wouldn't trust it.

I love the build of the vehicle and it has good space in the vehicle.

The whole mechanics of the vehicle needs to be changed.

Should've got the ford fixed
By cjthomas

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this truck from my sister after I crashed my ford escape because she wanted to get a new car, it had about 207,000 and was in pretty good shape but about 2,000 miles later the engine started making noises and I wasn't sure waht it was so I took it to my friend who was good with cars and he told me that it was a knock which means that the engine is basically on its way out and it's gonna cost me $$$ to get the engine replaced and I already scraped the escape and handed over the title so I'm pretty much screwed, would've cost way less to repair my escape.

I liked how it rides and it way pretty nice looking

The window switch placement is HORRIBLE. it's so wierd...

Surprisingly Good
By originalsteven

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car used in august 2012, It had 150K+ miles on it I don't remember. At first I just needed a 4x4 in the winter in Spokane because the road can get bad. With no snow tires and basically all in part time 4x4 it handled flawlessly. Everything was perfect except for some creak in the driver door but hey. I didn't much care for the car but time and time again it blows me away. Infinity speakers, roomy and stylish inside and out. and Reliable. I even took it off road and I was impressed. have 170k in a few weeks and still strong. Got 12mpg in city at first but with K&N stock filter upgrade, new spark plugs, oil change and Seafoam It went to 15 1/2 mpg and over 21 on the HWY!

I like that I ride up taller then a car. Its suspension can be kinda rough and maybe needing to be replaced here soon but after I did some maintenance on it and seafoam the engine, fuel and vacuum lines its runs so smooth I stopped at a light and thought the engine turned off! Ran on the highway smooth too. set the cruise control on at 70mph and forget your in a jeep. The seats and storage is nice had to move and this was the primary vehicle for the job. Came with a tow hitch and plan on pulling a small flat bed for storage and gear when camping next summer. I like how much power this has and its loud. the way it handles in the SNOW is my most favorite Feature. and the ABS brakes work great.

Gas mileage is not my favorite. filling up 18.5 gallons at 3.84 a gallon is terrible. My last car got 24/29 and the car before that got 25/33. My family will be having 3 cars here soon. The wife gets the luxury car, I get the jeep for recreation and utilities. and a small gas saver car for going back and forth for commuting Needs a larger double din stereo so we can upgrade to a 7" screen with GPS. more cup holders don't put the cup holder on the door in rear too hard for people to get at and only big enough for a soda can. I HATE THE HOOD LIFTERS. Its shocks that lift the hood ware out all the time. they cost almost $40 a piece where a simple bar or spring could do the job better.