2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Safety Issues

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L V6 FFV 8-speed Automatic)

Safety Issues
By stan90 on

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I leased a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited in November, 2013. It has a variety of problems some of which are serious safety issues that both the dealer and Chrysler choose to ignore. The transmission lags and lurches and makes periodic clanking noises. Worse than that, mine has twice run up engine rpms while I was breaking to stop - a serious safety issue. The electronic shifter offers no advantages. but rather is distracting (requiring a look down to verify what gear you are in). During an emergency situation I needed to stop and quickly shift into reverse to avoid a collision. Using this shifter created a delay that almost killed me. Several other problems none of which are fixed.

The interior is pleasant and comfortable. The appearance is good as well.

Design problems like the electronic shifter and the poor visibility created by the side mirrors need to be addressed. But a bigger issue is the Chrysler attitude. I am not the only person who has experienced the problems listed above: however, both the dealer and Chrysler do not take any of them seriously and outright choose to ignore them. As an example, even though I am by far not the only person who has experienced unprovoked run away acceleration during braking, they refuse to believe that it happened unless I can make it happen during a dealer service visit. Chrysler needs a whole new attitude.