2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Summit Step Rail

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Summit 4dr SUV (3.6L V6 FFV 8-speed Automatic)

Summit Step Rail
By thejudge410 on

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased the Summit after many months of study and test driving 2013 and 14 models.
I needed a step rail for family member safety and ability to use the vehicle.
At the time of delivery I was informed Chrysler did not have a step rail that would fit the Summit.
I could not believe it so I took delivery thinking they were wrong.
A 2nd Chrysler dealer said there must be a problem in the computer because it showed 2014 as accepting the step rail but my VIN not accepting the step rail.
As of today, no one has a step rail and I have a $52,000 car my wife can not get into and drive.
No after market available either.
I googled the problem and found a Jeep Forum question dated Oct 2013.
Augus 2015. The jeep is the best vehicle for ride, comfort and safety both in town and on road trips. I had problems with AC in the beginning which were fixed by an computer update. The problem was on a series of Durango and Grand Cherokee which Chrysler updated with TBS. Also had problem with filler cap alignment which was finally fixed by my local dealer by ordering the housing and filler cap using a VINN for a 2016 Grand Cherokee. The part numbers for both filler housing and cap had not changed but I measured the housing rubber gap carefully and determined there was a difference. The service manager at Lee Chrysler in Fort Walton is extremely helpful and fixed it all under warranty. They had tried a new filler cover in 2015 but that did not fix the problem. One of the reasons I have continued to purchase Jeep/Chrysler products is because of my outstanding service.
I no longer need the step rail. I do not think Chrysler has made one for this model but there are some after market versions available. I did not buy one of those because they did not integrate fully like the ones Chrysler makes for the other Grand Cherokee models. By that I mean they either hug down below the vehicle or extended outside the wheel line which increased the total width of the vehicle of made it more likely to drag.
Overall, the best vehicle I have ever owned. The safety stuff really works. Visibility is great and other drivers back off.

• Instrumentation
  • Purchase cost
  • Resale value
  • Maintenance cost
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review