Not your fathers Jeep
By sussexman on
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)
Traded in my Lincoln MKZ as I am a SUV man at heart. I like technology in my car and the Jeep has it. Not sure if this is the Mercedes influence but it has more technology then my Lincoln did. Ride is amazingly quiet for an SUV almost as quiet as the Lincoln. Motor has plenty of power for everyday driving and 8 gear transmission shifts smoothly even when you get on it. Seats are firm but comfortable with excellent lumbar support. The speech access system has its quirks I will elaborate in the suggested improvements section. The Jeep is 2 weeks old and I have 1300 miles on it currently getting 19 MPG overall.
Favorite Features
Adaptive cruise control is awesome makes cruise control usable in real world driving. Collision avoidance as I took my eyes off the road for a moment and the Jeep started to apply the breaks as is alerted me to the stopped car about 100 feet ahead. I have the 9 speaker 500 watt sound system (not the high end one in the Summit) and it sounds much better then any other vehicle I have owned. Navigation works much like my Garmin handheld best part is my ability to speak the entire address at once no more Q&A to input an address.
Suggested Improvements
I have 2400 contact in my iPhone 4s and the speech access in the Jeep never gets it correct. My Lincoln did as does my wife's Chrysler Town & Country. The speech does work well in setting radio stations, temperature and navigation. Softer seats would be a nice addition as well. The gear shifter is pure electronic they have given up on trying to convince you otherwise as it always comes back to the center position. It is very sensitive and makes it difficult to find reverse on the first try. Backup camera field of view is to low I would like a bigger field of view.