2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lared

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Laredo 4dr SUV (3.6L V6 FFV 4x4 8-speed Automatic)

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
By ruralranch on

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

8000 miles. Ride and design much better than my 2010 Limited. Averaging 23 to 26 mpg. Comfortable to drive. 8-speed transmission is very clunky. I was so concerned I took it to the dealer and they said no problem. The clunks when coming to a stop remain concerning. Never had such a rough, unrefined transmission in a car, not sure I trust it. V6 is capable and fuel efficient but I do miss my V8. Radio had to be reprogrammed because it would not save Bluetooth phone pairing. There was a service bulletin on that issue.

Update - 35000 miles. The Jeep Grand Cherokee has proven to be extremely reliable. My wife loves it and will not let me trade it in (I have never kept a vehicle this long). The transmission has smoothed out so that I now consider it to be remarkable - it never hunts for a gear and shifts are barely noticeable. I purchased the Jeep very early after release so I think a software update corrected the transmission issues described in my original post. Mileage averages about 26mpg - we have very little stop and go driving, mostly rural. I no longer miss the V8, the V6 has plenty of power for normal driving. The Jeep is excellent in snow and ice (we are very rural so we experience this a lot) because of its very good four wheel drive system - traction was considerably improved when I got rid of the stock tires and put on real all terrain/winter tires. The stock tires were terrible. I think the headlights are a bit weak on low beam. The fog lights help when the low beams are on. The high beams are quite useful - used a lot in our area. I found that the "full size" spare I paid extra for was really just a full size temporary tire and not a regular tire. I am displeased with Jeep about the spare tire - its a Jeep, a full size spare should be a real tire not a glorified temporary tire. The weak low beams, poor stock tires and the aforementioned spare tire are my only complaints after almost four years of ownership. Those complaints are very minor in the overall picture. We have had no problems with the Jeep and are very happy with it.

• Road holding
  • Transmission
  • Electronics
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review