Phantom Shifts
By ednuss on
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)
I have had my 3.6L Limited for about 5 weeks. I like the features, and find the cabin very comfortable. Having been a Grand Cherokee owner for 23 years, I would have preferred to get the basic one, but the navigation was only available with the upgrade. The only problem I have had is "phantom shifting". Once in a parking lot, I stopped at a crossroad and when I tried to head thru the intersection, the engine revved up, and I was in neutral. Another time, I was driving about 35 mph, when the engine suddenly revved up, an I lost forward momentum. This time it was in second gear. Big problem if the car slows at highway speed and one is being tailgated!! There will be no brake lights.
Favorite Features
Heated seats and steering wheel are nice in NH. The power seat is easy to set comfortably, and the radio, cruise and other controls are well positioned on the steering wheel. Many options on both the info panel and large screen radio/control etc. take a while to get used to, but I'm sure I'll get them sorted out before a long trip.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the transmission hardware and software and eliminate the phantom shifts. A slightly larger steering wheel diameter would be better.