2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Countless Problems with 8.4" Screen-Radio
By slick7108514

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I've owned my 2014 GC Overland V8 for about 6 months. After 3 months my screen froze and radio/hvac went haywire. The radio froze on full blast and the hvac froze on full heat. The knobs did nothing and the touch screen was completely frozen. Screen/radio unit was completely replaced. Dealer forgot to transfer my sirius subscription, so spent over an hour on the phone with sirius explaining that I did not purchase a new radio, blah, blah. New unit seemed to solve my problems. Then about three months later, the screen completely turned off as I was on the highway. Been dead for about a month. No radio, backup camera, etc. Dealer is going to replace unit AGAIN.

Favorite Features

Overland interior is great, other than hard plastic bottom. Stitching is nice, dual pane moonroof, 4x4 air suspension system, power lift gate.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the screen/radio issues. Pretty ridiculous that a $50k vehicle does not have a functioning radio, backup camera, etc. The screen literally controls everything on your vehicle. So, when it goes out, and it will go out, you lose control over virtually every feature on your vehicle. Hvac, radio, back up camera, navigation, dialing in settings on door lock control, park settings are all controlled by screen.

My Laredo E is an excellent vehicle
By crpatriots

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I am extremely happy with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo E 4x4. I have had it for 6 months now, about 8,000 miles. I am happy to say that I have experienced none of the engine/electronics/transmission issues that some other reviewers have written about. For me, my JGC has given me the perfect blend of size, performance, and comfort. I am constantly getting compliments on how it looks (inside and outside), as well as how it rides. I average about 20 miles per gallon with about half city, half highway driving. I came from a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe 4x4 (which was another good vehicle, honestly) - but the extra room and power of the JCG makes me happy I "upgraded."

Favorite Features

My favorite features are (and I paid extra for some of them): remote start, Selec-Terrain 4x4 mode selector, SD card slot, Class IV tow package.

Suggested Improvements

Jeep should make the back up camera available in the Laredo and Laredo E trim models as an option. I installed an after-market back-up sensing alarm system to remedy this. My only "wish."

Grand Cherokee Overland: misery loves company
By scaredofmyjeep

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Thought my problem were so unusual that I would get support til I read these entries. Transmission:Routinely refuses to change gear. Have to shift it into Sports mode and then back into regular mode to get it out of 1st gear; b. has started popping out of gear into neutral while the car is in motion and will not go back into gear. 2. Cruise Control doesn't work. 3. Engine light remains on all of the time. 4.FCW cruise control and Select Terrain don't work even after module replaced 5. navsystem wanders off road constantly, 6. USB plug inop 7. phone periodically disconnects w/service alert 8.locked itself with key(and dogs) inside Ready to sell at a $10k loss. piece of junk.

Favorite Features

I would like the voice system if it worked better. The pcikup if it didn't jerk me into 3rd gear, the ability to select terrain if it actually worked. I honestly do really love the side mirror blind spot warning light. Hope it is not that mirror that has a recall for catching on fire. I like the auto lock/unlock feature however when I accidentlally left the keys in the car it locked itself with my dogs inside. I would like the Uconnect mobile app if the remote unlock actually worked. I would like the park assist if it didn't beep when there was nothing there.

Suggested Improvements

If you are going to sell a $50k car, one would think you could afford to give us 2 sets of keys. Fire the nav designer who programmed the "find nearest ..." function in the Navigation System. Ex: Find nearest Exxon Gas station brings up a list of 20 different stations and their distance, no map, no address, so you don't know if you've already passed it or its ahead of you. you just have to select at random (after you are forced to listen to a slow reading of the entire list). totally useless. Hard to believe it would have passed muster.

Great car but terrible reliability
By jintseng

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We experienced electrical problems 3 weeks after buying it. We opted for the 5.7 V8 Overland with QuadraDrive II. Check the Jeep forums to know problems associated with each model. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee had a check engine light turn on and off randomly. The shut off while the car was in drive, the air suspension raised and lowered, the windshield wipers would come on and off, the headlights would shut off in the middle of the night, and the doors would unlock themselves while the car was parked randomly. My wife was stuck at the mall for 3 hrs when the car would not turn on. The dealership tried to fix the car for 6 months to no available and we were without a loaner for initially.

Favorite Features

The car accelerates well and is very capable off road. Against similarly performing cars the fuel economy is actually very good, i.e. - cars that are as capable off road.

Suggested Improvements

Listen to the Jeep forums. As an engineer myself, I can tell that it's definitely possible to narrow down if not determine the assembly line issues by looking for patterns with the kinds of problems people are experiencing.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 Diesel
By kloten20

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

It could be an excellent vehicle, sharp looking, fun to drive and all the bells. But there is where it stops. My first american car after over 18 years of Japanese and German. To put it short, the most expensive and also worst vehicle I have ever bought/owner. Just within 5000 miles I had the car at the dealership for the same electronic issue and they still could not figured it out. I never had so much stress owning any vehicle. Finally I had enough and traded it in after only five months of ownership. What a pity. It is absolutely sad, that Chrysler has not more pride in their product. Consequently this will be my last Chrysler product ever.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler TAKE SOME PRIDE IN YOU PRODUCT!!