2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

I hate this car.....
By jlp60

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This is my 3rd Jeep Grand Cherokee, and by far my least favorite. Every feature in this car has been thought out (excuse me - not thought out) to be for driver safety and passenger comfort. 1) I love that quick automatic turn signal that only blinks 3 times. Works so poorly in heavy traffic. Its a great feature when you drive put a turn signal on and when finishing changing lanes the signal flashes as though you are turning back to thee lane you came from. 2) I always love a car that lurches when starting to move forward. 3) I have driven rear wheel drive cars that handle snow better than my 4x4 Jeep.

I like thee color black. The radio seems to work. Seriously, dealer service has been great.

Go back to making a much simpler and more reliable car, half the electronic junk and less automatic stuff. If I wanted all this I would have bought a sedan.

Looks great, Build quality is a true Chrysler.
By ajg1136

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I bought my Jeep a year ago and have waited until now to write this review because I wanted to give it a thorough testing. I love the looks both inside and out. I like the features and got a good deal. The build quality just sucks. I'm normally a Toyota person but bought this after being disappointed with the ride of the new 4Runner. I was hesitant about buying a Chrysler due to their poor reputation for quality and it turns out I should've listened to myself.

Looks awesome, handles well, has great list of standard features, gas mileage is decent at 18 MPG average in mixed driving.

The first thing that started to drive me crazy was the "eco" feature. With this turned on (it is ALWAYS on as a default, you have to turn it off every time you start the car) it sucks ALL of the power out of the already underpowered engine. The 8 speed transmission shifts to 6th gear at 30 MPH and either bogs down when you try to accelerate OR downshifts to 2nd and redlines. With the "eco" button turned off the engine is barely adequate. Keyless system has failed twice, has been in for 3 recalls and Jeep won't give me a loaner vehicle for days of repairs, and after driving through a puddle the battery compartment (under the passenger seat) filled with water. Typical Chrysler.

Goodbye Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
By zoneta

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I've had 6 new JGC & have watched them improve in style & quality every year. I traded in my 2011 for a 2014 & found the quality of the 2011 superior to the 2014. The price now same as Audi/Lexi/BMW. The electronic transmission shift isn't user friendly, it clunks into gear & is difficult to move into position, the letters in the dr's dash window showing NSE&W sometimes match the gear letters & it can be too much computer info when you're driving. The 2011 hatch door had 2-opening choices, full hatch or top half window. The 2014 cheapened their costs eliminating the top window. I just want to say goodby Jeep Grand Cherokee I'll drive it for a year and go elsewhere next year.

Improvements include backup & passenger blind side cameras. The 2 interior choices are black or beige. The black interior has a horrible black roof (another cheap modification) & the beige interior is too light ugh. The dashboard is too gaudy.

The cargo area has new metal strips causing load to shift & slide around. Black body moldings around the wheel wells and side frames were solid plastics or synthetics molds & have now been cheapened to plastic caps which fit in the wheel wells and are poorly installed and squeak & rattle. The fog lights in front were poorly installed (factory) and also rattle. Excellent gas mileage is overstated. Doors are tinny. Metal on the side doors and hood are so thin it reminds me of a beer can.

Countless Problems with 8.4" Screen-Radio
By slick7108514

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I've owned my 2014 GC Overland V8 for about 6 months. After 3 months my screen froze and radio/hvac went haywire. The radio froze on full blast and the hvac froze on full heat. The knobs did nothing and the touch screen was completely frozen. Screen/radio unit was completely replaced. Dealer forgot to transfer my sirius subscription, so spent over an hour on the phone with sirius explaining that I did not purchase a new radio, blah, blah. New unit seemed to solve my problems. Then about three months later, the screen completely turned off as I was on the highway. Been dead for about a month. No radio, backup camera, etc. Dealer is going to replace unit AGAIN.

Overland interior is great, other than hard plastic bottom. Stitching is nice, dual pane moonroof, 4x4 air suspension system, power lift gate.

Fix the screen/radio issues. Pretty ridiculous that a $50k vehicle does not have a functioning radio, backup camera, etc. The screen literally controls everything on your vehicle. So, when it goes out, and it will go out, you lose control over virtually every feature on your vehicle. Hvac, radio, back up camera, navigation, dialing in settings on door lock control, park settings are all controlled by screen.

My Laredo E is an excellent vehicle
By crpatriots

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I am extremely happy with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo E 4x4. I have had it for 6 months now, about 8,000 miles. I am happy to say that I have experienced none of the engine/electronics/transmission issues that some other reviewers have written about. For me, my JGC has given me the perfect blend of size, performance, and comfort. I am constantly getting compliments on how it looks (inside and outside), as well as how it rides. I average about 20 miles per gallon with about half city, half highway driving. I came from a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe 4x4 (which was another good vehicle, honestly) - but the extra room and power of the JCG makes me happy I "upgraded."

My favorite features are (and I paid extra for some of them): remote start, Selec-Terrain 4x4 mode selector, SD card slot, Class IV tow package.

Jeep should make the back up camera available in the Laredo and Laredo E trim models as an option. I installed an after-market back-up sensing alarm system to remedy this. My only "wish."