2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Honest Grand Cherokee Review
By forestlake

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Ours: 2014 Limited 4x4, Diesel, Trail Rated, Adv Tech pkg (loaded). Many electrical problems & after 5-mo in service is being bought back under MI lemon law. But we're lucky: came to find that "using" this car was very frustrating. The touchscreen is dangerous to use when driving vs physical buttons/knobs. Just turning on heated seats takes 3-4 steps. Climate controls? More steps. Eyes are constantly searching for controls & impossible to see what's "on" just at a glance. Also, front field of view is somewhat limited. Paddle shifters always in the way. There's no feel in the shifter (try doing a 3-point turn in the city). Always accidentally hit buttons on wheel when turning in reverse, too.

Liked the air suspension, however, it was very, very noisy. Though we liked the automatic lowering when in park, we have to believe that this will eventually break. Just a feeling. The dash guages/display is outstanding. Really liked how you could configure it to just have a big number for showing your speed right in the middle - excellent use of tech (as opposed to the main touchscreen which is a really horrible use of tech).

Bring back physical controls for climate operations. Currently, half of the controls are in the touchscreen, and half are physical buttons on the dash. But strangely, those on the dash are probably the least used options. Also, heated/cooled seat operations should be on the dash (or how about on each door!). It's inexcusable that in the back seats you can quickly and easily, almost without looking, turn on/off the seats, while in the front you risk getting into an accident even if you're just curious to see what setting the seats are on. Tech for tech's sake is note a good idea. Bring back physical buttons and knobs that reduce the number of steps it takes to do something. Simple.

My 500-Day Experience With A 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
By cleartext

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Bought a new '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 in late '13 and traded it in Feb-'15 at 25k miles. Here's my (roughly) 500 day experience. The issues. 1-Transfer case seal fluid leak. 2-Heat/AC temp control either blazing hot or ice cold. 3-Check Engine Light four times before fixed. 4-Clunking of rear suspension. 5-Interior tailgate panel kept popping off. 6-Exterior tailgate handle crooked not flush Jeep said factory defect but wouldn't fix. 7-Radio / Climate control unit locked up periodically. 8-began hearing strange noise from gearbox. 9-constant recalls. 10-overly complicated climate controls. That said, there were many things I liked - see next section.

Looks really sharp. Excellent engine power and the 8 speed transmission was very smooth. The automatic 4 wheel drive made for a very stable drive on slick roads. Smooth ride even on rough roads. No interior rattles like so many vehicles these days. Liked the cap-less fuel filler. Digital speedometer and other displays were sharp. Better than average cargo capacity .. the fold down front passenger seat handy for hauling up to 8-9 foot long items. Push button start nice. I'll also say the Jeep dealer was very responsive and took immediate care of all issues I noted in the review.

Simplify. Having owned a few jeeps over the years, would suggest Jeep keeping some of the modern improvements, but not try to be what it isn't intended to be ... a luxury car. Bring back the old school boxy pre-2001 Cherokee Classic with it's refreshing simplicity and legendary reliability ... and not only would you have a backlog of pre-orders, you'd win me back from Toyota. Flip side, I don't run Toyota, so will leave the logic to the experts =) To have the issues I experienced with a brand new off the lot Grand Cherokee, and up through 25k miles, makes me shudder to think the issues the vehicle might have at a mere 50 or 100k miles. Good bye Jeep, do hope we meet again someday.

Never Again
By colorado_4x4

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

The most frustrating ownership experience in over 50 years of car ownership. My Grand Cherokee is a 3.0 diesel. Minor irritations would include the frightening suspension clunking when the ride height is set to maximum, but my major issue is service. Or to put it more plainly, the terrible service. Like other owners, I am constantly required to go to the dealer to get the computer 'scanned'. The number of 'codes' is always overwhelming, and the dealer is ALWAYS at the mercy of the factory for instructions as to how to correct the problems. I never get my car back the same day, Sometimes it is two weeks, or more.

It's a good, comfortable 'luxury' SUV

We have passed into the age where the dealer's technician has to be guided by the factory, and in Chrysler's case the factory isn't on-line. My problems with Chrysler's service on this vehicle are not isolated ones. The combination of slow technical response from the factory, and delays in the factory shipping parts is deadly. It's a nice car, but you had better have a back-up, and don't take it out of town!

My Second Review - A continued disappointment
By dpkimball

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This is my second review of our 2014 GC, which we leased in June 2013. The transmission continues to be a hot button issue for me. Gear shifts up and down through 1-3 are rough and sloppy. I believe we're on our 7th recall (hard to keep track at this point), and are on a wait list for the last 3 of them as parts aren't available yet. There are tons of little things that drive me crazy. For example: in literally every other car I've owned, if the stereo is turned off when the driver turns the car off, it stays off when you turn the car back on. Not this car, not a great thing if you're giving a ride to a client or customer and the stereo comes on blaring when you start the car.

It's a great looking car, with a nice interior.

Why isnt my iPhone compatible with the car's system? Why does the heat/AC setting automatically reset to the second highest setting instead of staying where the driver had it set when he/she turned the car off? Please admit there's a problem with the transmission. I hope I don't get dinged for excessive tire wear when I turn it back in at the end of my lease because the transmission lurches the car on up and downshifts. Another suggestion: please offer an early turn in option on my lease. I'll happily walk into the dealer today and give them the keys and go buy something else.

Glad I leased it
By tf18722x

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Owned the car for 8 months and 3500 miles. The 8 speed transmission with the PentaStar V6 is terrible and the other Edmunds negative reviews on that transmission are 100% accurate. Upshifting between gears 1-3 is poor, and it slams into 1st gear at the downshift. Have been to the dealer many times, the software updates to transmission only last for a few days before it goes back to shifting badly.

Beautiful car, the 4x4 Limited trim is nicely loaded. The gas mileage on the V6 4x4 is attractive.

Transmission.