Used 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Happy jeep owner
By Luciano Baez

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Great vehicles in every away possible.

Wasted dough!
By Tony

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased my 2014 Grand Cherokee AWD with the 3.0 Eco Diesel option. Everything about the car was awesome especially since I also had the trail rated package and air suspension option. The problem with this car was the electronics. Constant issues with the entire control dash lighting up with error messages, poor attention to detail in wiring harness (under fenders exposed wiring for headlights!) just a nightmare with multiple electronic computer flash upgrades. Then, while driving, at 65 mph and up, the steering would vibrate from left to right and the dealer was never able to fix it! The dealer! The engine is fantastic. This diesel is incredible and economy was around 27-28 m.p.g. Not bad at all. Almost to the year, I was so fed up with all issues, I drove it to the Honda dealer and traded for a 2015 Honda CRV, AWD. No issues at all! What kills me most is the drop in value. I lost an easy $25,000 on this vehicle that the manufacturer claim is the most luxurious vehicle and the Jeep name brand which is supposed to represent quality and durability. I should have listened to my friends that owned these cars. I should have used the Lemon Law! Get an Audi, VW, or Porsche Cayman with the same engine.

Diesel Disappointment
By Curtis Smith

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I vowed never to part with my Toyota 4Runner until I saw the Super Bowl commercial for the diesel Grand Cherokee. By March I was test driving an overland model and immediately impressed with the torque and gas mileage. How can you beat 30 mpg on the highway with the ability to yank my boat down the road at 65+ mph with minimal downshifts? Fast forward 15 months and I'm desperately trying to negotiate the trade value as I look to replace the recall and service bulletin ridden vehicle. First, the jeep would overheat pulling a small 17.5 ft speed boat that was half the rated towing weight. No kidding had to pull off the road on multiple trips to let the engine back off the red. The dealer kept advising it needed computer updates and then would send me on my way. Which leads me to the next issues - the dealers had no clue how to service or repair this vehicle. The first to oil changes they did not reset the oil life in the computer and when asked just proceeded to mash my accelerator into the floor and push buttons. It took me googling the procedures to show them how to reset. At 18k miles, I began to notice a rough idle. I reported to the dealership and told that's normal. At 19k I began to get check engine lights. Each time, I get the "computer updates" line. Note, the thing is also going in every other month or so for some sort of recall. After taking the vehicle in twice in one week for the check engine light with repeated reports of rough idle and now acceleration, I'm told a recent (two months old) service bulletin was out for the issue. After googling the service bulletin I was shocked at the level of "repair" necessary. A week, then a month go by before the dealer can get the parts. They even have me drop the vehicle and then return because they realize they don't have all the parts- like I said, significant repair. Finally they get the parts and I drop the vehicle. A week goes by and they haven't even touched the vehicle. I'm told the tech had other vehicles ahead of mine. Why the heck did I drop it off then? It takes almost another month before the car is finally repaired. The most significant engine repair I have had on any vehicle. Let alone one with less than 20k miles and just over a year old. All said I traded the jeep. If you are flirting with the idea of the diesel, first Google the service bulletin and take a look at the repair you may need and whether you are comfortable paying that kind of money for something that will likely need a significant overhaul.

Great Vehicle - but technology has glitches
By Joe Rindfuss

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

2014 Grand Cherokee ? Overland Edition. After driving 4-Runners for years, I made the switch to Jeep and love the luxury and smooth ride. I live in upstate New York where 4WD is really only needed a dozen or so days a year. However, it?s on these days with heavy snow that I miss the clearance of the 4 Runner, and actually got my Jeep stuck twice last winter, but it probably had more to do with the low profile tires than the 4WD. Luckily, after digging myself out I was able to sit on heated seats and grab a warm steering wheel, which are my two favorite features. My main complaint is the Navigation System ? I would recommend skipping this option and buying a GPS since the Chrysler navigation system WILL get you lost. I?ve even been directed to turn up one way streets in the wrong direction! Plus, if you are driving you cannot enter addresses into the system and the voice recognition is completely useless. The first time it understands an address I give it will be the first time in over a year it?s ever understood an address. It?s no Siri!! If Jeep can fix the navigation & voice recognition system I would buy another Grand Cherokee.

LOVE MY NEW JEEP SUMMIT
By Lululovesherjeep

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

First, let me say that I would never have paid sticker for these vehicles even though the vehicle is awesome so far. I bought a 2014 with 11,300 miles so it feels like brand new and I saved about $15K over sticker. I love this jeep but have only owned it a month now. I am averaging 24.9 to 25.9 with mixed driving about 50/50 city/hwy. It has so many features that I did not have on my 2002 Jeep grand Cherokee Limited model. It drives great, very quiet and minimal road noise. Stereo is awesome and I feel like I have more space in the cargo than my older jeep. It is a V6 2wd vs. my 4.7L v8 2wd that averaged 18.5 mpg. I think it has just as good pickup and power as the other and love the added gas mileage. I feel like this car practically drives itself! It's loaded with all kinds of safety features and tech settings that make it a joy to drive. I love the interior with the exception of the suede on the front sides of inside windshield, just not my taste and believe it may fade overtime. I keep it garaged but sure over time outdoors the sun would fade such a dark brown fabric. The seats are nice leather although they could be a bit more comfy, they are a little firmer than my other jeep. I have experienced some fogging of the headlights when humid or wet outside, this I am told jeep will fix under warranty. The only additional improvements I could offer thus far is that Jeep should put a little more luxury leather seats in the front of the Summit model. Like the quality Infinity puts in their SUVs. For the sticker price of the Summit model, they should be a bit more plush and with awesome cushioning. They are fine, the ride is nice, but they are just a bit flatter with a firm feel. I recommend doing away with the suede next to the windshield as this will probably look pretty bad once the sun fades the fabric. I can imagine them looking pink once the sun gets too them. Last Jeep should consider doing a little lighter wood trim on the dash to break up all the dark brown. At least they could give the option for different wood trim colors. The lighter medium brown and lighter brown wood grains would give it a bit more sophisticated look. Some may like the all one color look, but it does need a little something to break up the very dark interior. Last, the lower console has a bit of a plastic look that I believe may show scratches easy over time or color wear off the plastic. Maybe consider something a little more durable like stainless steel material or a hard rubberized plastic such as what is used for the interior door material. I must say that anyone considering a mid size or larger SUV without the need for a third row seat, should check out the Jeep line. They have really come a long way since my 2002 model. I loved my 2002 and drove it from early 2004 till Oct 2015, so I guess you can say I loved my jeep. I tried to find something other than another jeep only because I had driven mine for so long, but when I kept comparing all SUVs the jeep kept coming out on top in terms of size, comfort, fuel efficiency, power, cargo space, regular unleaded gas, and overall maintenance and cost of ownership. I find that I have everything I could imagine and then some in this vehicle. When I compared several vehicles like Acura MDX, Lincoln MKC, Audi Q5, Toyota Highlander, etc., I found that the Jeep seemed to offer much more in value, comfort, and cost efficiency. While I loved the Audi Q5, it was a bit smaller, higher maintenance costs, and premium unleaded gas. I loved the feel of the Q5 and it's driving experience but figured I would be paying dearly in my cost to own and read too many horrors in costly reliability issues. I don't want to go to the dealer for every maintenance issue and closest dealer is a 40 minute drive. Not all parts but many parts and services are as much if not more than 3 times the maintenance on the Jeep. The Lincoln MKC felt cheap in comparison and had much less room. The cargo area is much shorter than other SUVs and didn't even think I could fit a tall pet carrier in it due to it's height. Many door seals, interior trim, and even many door panels seemed not to be aligned very well. The interior felt a bit cheap and the very light interior models I drove already showed scuffs and dirt from test drives. I felt they were over valued. The Acura MDX was nice and drove nice, but didn't need the third row and the premium fuel. The Toyota Highlander, while roomy was more vehicle than I needed and the drive was not anything spectacular. These are just a few I actually compared probably 15 models and came back to the jeep, but a lot had to do with the price I was able to get it for. Overall I am very pleased with my Summit model and look forward to another 10 plus years of enjoyable Jeep driving. Recommend SUV buyers look at the jeep line.

• SUV