Used 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Over all great vehicle
By jasonjcgl

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After driving this car for 9 months and nearing the 10,000 mile mark I have to say that I am very pleased. I have driven in almost every condition imaginable. In the snow it drives effortlessly with no trouble at all, in the mud it performs very well and will get through without any hesitation, on dirt roads the handling is flawless, and in the water no issues arise. After going on 4 road trips so far, I have to say it is excellent for traveling! The ride is super smooth, steering is amazing, and the cabin is extremely quiet. In terms of gas mileage, on the highway I average around 25mpg but have gotten up to 27mpg and in the city I average 18mpg. Over all this is an amazing vehicle!

Favorite Features

The 4x4 system, steering wheel set up, steering, seats, quiet cabin, smooth ride, visibility out of all windows, and the looks.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power on the v6 would be nice, but not too much more is needed. The exterior chrome should be made from different materials as I can see the wear already. Interior materials/finishes could be nicer, some of them feel cheap or aren't put together well. A few more power adapters up front would be nice as well. A feature that allows us to see the MPG displayed without having to take off the digital speedometer. Cup holders could be spaced a little bit farther apart too. These are all little things that don't make or break the vehicle itself.

Overall a very happy owner.
By mowog2

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this vehicle for 14 months and 40,000 miles. So far both the puchase and ownership experiences have been good ones. Power with the V6 requires lots of RPM's as a small V6 is propelling a 5000+ pound vehicle BUT, the upside is that same 5000+ pound vehicle getting on average about 23 MPG at 70 MPH on the highway. A downside is the navigation system which is near useless and best plan on having a Garmin mounted to the windshield...!!! Our only warrantable item was a new seat covering on the driver's seat due to premature wear....quite the hastle getting the right material from Jeep Service Parts and thank heavens for a great servicing dealer in Auburn, Indiana. Happy owner...!!!!!

Favorite Features

High level of interior trim on the Overland Summit, very comfortable seating for 4 (not so much for 5), very acceptable gas mileage, nice exterior styling, love the metalic Black paint, great handling and ride, above average fit and finish overall.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the navigation system and replace it with a more user friendly system.....!!!!!!!

I will never buy another Chrysler product again.
By joemags1

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I made the mistake of purchasing a 2012 Jeep Overland in Colorado. This vehicle certainly falls short of that is it the most awarded SUV, as I now think that Chrysler hands out its own awards. With a hemi installed, expect to get an average of 17 miles per gallon city and highway combine. The NAV system is poor at best; I had trouble with it from day one as it would lose memory. I just had the radio replaced with no guarantee from the dealer that this will correct the issue. The one item that bugs me the most is the lack of quality of the exterior chrome, or should I say chrome coated plastic. With only 5000 miles on my truck, and after the very first exposure to the snow treated road

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler should eliminate all of the exterior chrome on their vehicle as these inferior components are prone to pitting (side mirrors, door handles, front grill, rear tailgate chrome trim). Also, they should consider a more robust NAV system. Most important of all, improve on gas consumption.

Solid vehicle, happy with my choices
By xsmojo

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2012 4x4 v8 for a year and it was great overall. The cons: MPG not so good, the Nav system is difficult. I have since fixed part of this by trading for a 2013 v6. Now the MPG is better. The power is acceptable too, I was surprised. I recall the 2011 v6 seemed to lag but mine has done this. Now if we can just get the newer Nav from the 300 it will be a great vehicle package.

Favorite Features

the seats, power features, panorama roof, driveability. Rear seats are adjustable. Basically love all the Daimler technology at the Jeep price.

Suggested Improvements

dump the old nav system and give us the one in the 300 and the new truck.

My First Jeep - My Last Jeep
By lr3looser

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I own a $47,000 Cherokee Overland & found through a minor issue that Jeep customer care has protocals they follow regardless of cost or inconvience inflicted on the customer. This is the 1st Jeep product I ever owned and will be the last. Jeep sent me a software and map upgrade complimentry to me. Trying to install the map upgrade I found the vehicle vin number is not loaded in the nav system, thus it will not load the map upgrade. No dealer in Chicago has heard of this nor knows what to do to fix it. Jeep customer cares resolution is to bring the car to a dealer and experiment trying to fix it. No idea what may happen, how long it takes and no loaner read page 4 of the owner manual!

Favorite Features

The Jeep is great but be prepared to stand on your own getting anything fixed and better have a second car because Jeep has no responsibility to give a loaner. Note that all Jeep/Chrysler dealers are privately owned and can do whatever they want in working with you and repairing a Jeep becasue they get no support from corprorate to solve any problems. A supervisor in customer care told me that all she can do is follow her protocal and nothing more. For $47,000 I could have a BMW, Audi or Mercedes with a real warranty and real customer service and a loaner. Thank goodness that this is a very minor issue, but having experienced that lack of support, trading back to a BMW next week.

Suggested Improvements

Jeep/Chrysler needs to grow up and have a real customer service group if they are going to sell $47,000 cares in the US. If not they should focus on selling $15,000 Fiats that when something breaks you just throw them away. Luckily I can afford to make this change but what happens to that person that just took out 5 year loan to buy a Jeep/ Chrysler product and is stuck with poor service, computer programed customer service people and a total lack of any idea of what customer service is. Yes this is why Toyota is the leading manufacturer in the US.