Used 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

HEMI 4x4
By db1988

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After driving a Hummer H2 for several years, it was time for something new. I wanted a V8 4x4 SUV, and debated between a Tahoe and a Grand Cherokee. I am certain I made the right choice with the Jeep. I used to think the h2 was nice to drive, but the Jeep is a whole new experience. Much more comfortable, it has all the options (plus more) that the hummer did, and it is a little easier on gas. I have a fully loaded Laredo (Black on Black), and I could not be happier with the vehicle. It drives exceptionally well, has plenty of power, and looks sharp. It has had a few recalls..no big deal. Take it to the Jeep store and they are happy to take care of it. No major issues at 60k miles.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel controls are exceptionally easy to use. Very quiet, spacious interior. Premium sound is excellent, leather is nice and comfortable. I do not like buying German vehicles, I always say "They aren't made for Americans" (meaning they are way too complicated). I appreciate simplistic controls and easy to navigate features. I prefer this Jeep over any other SUV in its class. I stand a little over 6 feet tall, and can sit comfortably in the drivers seat with my equally tall brother in the rear seat. I am happy with the size and all the features it has.

Overland Leather Dash Warped and Blistered
By jabaseball

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in January of 2012 and by November of that year notice some minor bubbles in leather dash. By mid summer of 2013 it was very noticeable and by early spring of 2014 it was ridiculous. Warps, bubbles, waves in the leather and the plastic inserts. I drive a lot so I was beyond 36K miles by the time I complained though the car has only been in service 26 months or so and mileage has nothing to do with the dashboard disaster. So far the dealer will only respond that it is out of warranty. Other than the dashboard and some minor complaints about paint quality on the non-metallic body parts, the vehicle is excellent.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage and long range out of the V6. The stereo is nice and the seats are comfortable for long hauls. The pop open back glass is a great feature for putting small items in without opening the whole hatch. OEM tires gave me over 45K miles.

Suggested Improvements

If JEEP wants to compete with luxury competitors then it better learn how to use leather, wood and plastic in the cabin. If JEEP wants my business again, it better learn that customers spending $50K on a car expect the luxury features to stay luxurious.

Really Like my Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4
By carolina_gator

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After 7 months I have 42,000 miles on my Jeep and still enjoy driving it. The V6 delivers almost 24 mpg on interstate using no ethanol gas, but loses at least 10% on gas with ethanol. Although it has as much horsepower as my Yukon, it has significantly less torque and the V6 works much harder to pull a 23 ft boat and trailer weighing almost 5600 lbs. The ride quality is very good and no warranty issues other than a completely dead battery in the first month. The 5 speed tranny upshifts smoothly but downshifts in and out of 4th gear frequently when encountering moderate grades, which is annoying. Overall, I am pleased with the vehicle and would recommend a Grand Cherokee.

Favorite Features

The leather seats are comfortable and provide reasonable support and the V6 engine is strong enough in everyday use and highway driving. I have received many compliments on the color and style of this moderately sized SUV.

Suggested Improvements

The placement of the fuel filler door release is in such a place that it is easy to hit with your knee when getting in or out of the vehicle. The $149 charge to update the map information on the Garmin GPS seems somewhat excessive. I do wish that I could have gotten the smaller 17 inch tires and wheels, but due to the options packages on it I got the 18 inch ones instead.

Overall a very happy owner.
By mowog2

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this vehicle for 14 months and 40,000 miles. So far both the puchase and ownership experiences have been good ones. Power with the V6 requires lots of RPM's as a small V6 is propelling a 5000+ pound vehicle BUT, the upside is that same 5000+ pound vehicle getting on average about 23 MPG at 70 MPH on the highway. A downside is the navigation system which is near useless and best plan on having a Garmin mounted to the windshield...!!! Our only warrantable item was a new seat covering on the driver's seat due to premature wear....quite the hastle getting the right material from Jeep Service Parts and thank heavens for a great servicing dealer in Auburn, Indiana. Happy owner...!!!!!

Favorite Features

High level of interior trim on the Overland Summit, very comfortable seating for 4 (not so much for 5), very acceptable gas mileage, nice exterior styling, love the metalic Black paint, great handling and ride, above average fit and finish overall.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the navigation system and replace it with a more user friendly system.....!!!!!!!

Over all great vehicle
By jasonjcgl

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After driving this car for 9 months and nearing the 10,000 mile mark I have to say that I am very pleased. I have driven in almost every condition imaginable. In the snow it drives effortlessly with no trouble at all, in the mud it performs very well and will get through without any hesitation, on dirt roads the handling is flawless, and in the water no issues arise. After going on 4 road trips so far, I have to say it is excellent for traveling! The ride is super smooth, steering is amazing, and the cabin is extremely quiet. In terms of gas mileage, on the highway I average around 25mpg but have gotten up to 27mpg and in the city I average 18mpg. Over all this is an amazing vehicle!

Favorite Features

The 4x4 system, steering wheel set up, steering, seats, quiet cabin, smooth ride, visibility out of all windows, and the looks.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power on the v6 would be nice, but not too much more is needed. The exterior chrome should be made from different materials as I can see the wear already. Interior materials/finishes could be nicer, some of them feel cheap or aren't put together well. A few more power adapters up front would be nice as well. A feature that allows us to see the MPG displayed without having to take off the digital speedometer. Cup holders could be spaced a little bit farther apart too. These are all little things that don't make or break the vehicle itself.