Used 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Grand Cherokee Overland V8 4x4
By defender97

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this because it can be towed behind a Motorhome easily and the Landcruiser we had was at 100k plus miles. July 2012 . Overall nice ride. Comfortable no mechanical probs. Has 24 k miles on it now. We noticed the dash was bubbling up near windshield . Showed it to the dealer service dept . They stated they had seen it before and ordered a new on under warranty being installed as this is written.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive system easily adapts to 4 wheels down towing behind motorhome. Also great for exploring off road trails. Comfy ride. Tows a 22ft boat without even breathing hard. Has been reliable so far but I am always on time for maintainance. Looks good. Adjustable height for off road and for easy exit and entrance. Seat coolers are great in summer

Suggested Improvements

Nav system needs improvement. As I said dash delamination is worrisome for the future as We intend to keep this $ 50 k vehicle for a long time and live in Fla.

Overland Leather Dash Warped and Blistered
By jabaseball

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in January of 2012 and by November of that year notice some minor bubbles in leather dash. By mid summer of 2013 it was very noticeable and by early spring of 2014 it was ridiculous. Warps, bubbles, waves in the leather and the plastic inserts. I drive a lot so I was beyond 36K miles by the time I complained though the car has only been in service 26 months or so and mileage has nothing to do with the dashboard disaster. So far the dealer will only respond that it is out of warranty. Other than the dashboard and some minor complaints about paint quality on the non-metallic body parts, the vehicle is excellent.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage and long range out of the V6. The stereo is nice and the seats are comfortable for long hauls. The pop open back glass is a great feature for putting small items in without opening the whole hatch. OEM tires gave me over 45K miles.

Suggested Improvements

If JEEP wants to compete with luxury competitors then it better learn how to use leather, wood and plastic in the cabin. If JEEP wants my business again, it better learn that customers spending $50K on a car expect the luxury features to stay luxurious.

Overall a very happy owner.
By mowog2

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this vehicle for 14 months and 40,000 miles. So far both the puchase and ownership experiences have been good ones. Power with the V6 requires lots of RPM's as a small V6 is propelling a 5000+ pound vehicle BUT, the upside is that same 5000+ pound vehicle getting on average about 23 MPG at 70 MPH on the highway. A downside is the navigation system which is near useless and best plan on having a Garmin mounted to the windshield...!!! Our only warrantable item was a new seat covering on the driver's seat due to premature wear....quite the hastle getting the right material from Jeep Service Parts and thank heavens for a great servicing dealer in Auburn, Indiana. Happy owner...!!!!!

Favorite Features

High level of interior trim on the Overland Summit, very comfortable seating for 4 (not so much for 5), very acceptable gas mileage, nice exterior styling, love the metalic Black paint, great handling and ride, above average fit and finish overall.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the navigation system and replace it with a more user friendly system.....!!!!!!!

I will never buy another Chrysler product again.
By joemags1

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I made the mistake of purchasing a 2012 Jeep Overland in Colorado. This vehicle certainly falls short of that is it the most awarded SUV, as I now think that Chrysler hands out its own awards. With a hemi installed, expect to get an average of 17 miles per gallon city and highway combine. The NAV system is poor at best; I had trouble with it from day one as it would lose memory. I just had the radio replaced with no guarantee from the dealer that this will correct the issue. The one item that bugs me the most is the lack of quality of the exterior chrome, or should I say chrome coated plastic. With only 5000 miles on my truck, and after the very first exposure to the snow treated road

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler should eliminate all of the exterior chrome on their vehicle as these inferior components are prone to pitting (side mirrors, door handles, front grill, rear tailgate chrome trim). Also, they should consider a more robust NAV system. Most important of all, improve on gas consumption.

Solid vehicle, happy with my choices
By xsmojo

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2012 4x4 v8 for a year and it was great overall. The cons: MPG not so good, the Nav system is difficult. I have since fixed part of this by trading for a 2013 v6. Now the MPG is better. The power is acceptable too, I was surprised. I recall the 2011 v6 seemed to lag but mine has done this. Now if we can just get the newer Nav from the 300 it will be a great vehicle package.

Favorite Features

the seats, power features, panorama roof, driveability. Rear seats are adjustable. Basically love all the Daimler technology at the Jeep price.

Suggested Improvements

dump the old nav system and give us the one in the 300 and the new truck.