Used 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

great car but one MAJOR problem
By Mark

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

My 2012 Grand Cherokee overland has been a very good SUV. Drives well, I like the looks, is comfortable and roomy. My issue with the car is that at about 40K miles the dashboard started to bubble and warp. Though I have an extended warranty, the deal (Rairdon of Kirkland, WA) says that they will not fix. So, I'm stuck with a car that looks good from the outside and but is hideous on the inside. I would not buy another 'luxury' car from Jeep, they clearly don't know how to make them and are not willing to stand behind their product.

HEMI 4x4
By db1988

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After driving a Hummer H2 for several years, it was time for something new. I wanted a V8 4x4 SUV, and debated between a Tahoe and a Grand Cherokee. I am certain I made the right choice with the Jeep. I used to think the h2 was nice to drive, but the Jeep is a whole new experience. Much more comfortable, it has all the options (plus more) that the hummer did, and it is a little easier on gas. I have a fully loaded Laredo (Black on Black), and I could not be happier with the vehicle. It drives exceptionally well, has plenty of power, and looks sharp. It has had a few recalls..no big deal. Take it to the Jeep store and they are happy to take care of it. No major issues at 60k miles.

Steering wheel controls are exceptionally easy to use. Very quiet, spacious interior. Premium sound is excellent, leather is nice and comfortable. I do not like buying German vehicles, I always say "They aren't made for Americans" (meaning they are way too complicated). I appreciate simplistic controls and easy to navigate features. I prefer this Jeep over any other SUV in its class. I stand a little over 6 feet tall, and can sit comfortably in the drivers seat with my equally tall brother in the rear seat. I am happy with the size and all the features it has.

Grand Cherokee Overland V8 4x4
By defender97

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this because it can be towed behind a Motorhome easily and the Landcruiser we had was at 100k plus miles. July 2012 . Overall nice ride. Comfortable no mechanical probs. Has 24 k miles on it now. We noticed the dash was bubbling up near windshield . Showed it to the dealer service dept . They stated they had seen it before and ordered a new on under warranty being installed as this is written.

4 wheel drive system easily adapts to 4 wheels down towing behind motorhome. Also great for exploring off road trails. Comfy ride. Tows a 22ft boat without even breathing hard. Has been reliable so far but I am always on time for maintainance. Looks good. Adjustable height for off road and for easy exit and entrance. Seat coolers are great in summer

Nav system needs improvement. As I said dash delamination is worrisome for the future as We intend to keep this $ 50 k vehicle for a long time and live in Fla.

cylinder misfire
By tiamaria

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my jeep cherokee and chose not to buy the extended warranty. At 68,000km the engine light came on and my warranty expired at 60,000....code read indicated cylinder misfire...currently my jeep will be taken apart and in the mechanic shop for a week or so, its been there now for two day...power train warranty does cover it thank heavens....however extremely disappointed its already in the shop for repairs...apparently this is a common problem had i done my research i would not have purchased this vehicle...next time i will be getting extended warranty...but not a chrysler....good luck!!! my brothers lending me his truck for now!!!!

suv qualities....fast....

recall for the cylinder misfire...

Overland Leather Dash Warped and Blistered
By jabaseball

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in January of 2012 and by November of that year notice some minor bubbles in leather dash. By mid summer of 2013 it was very noticeable and by early spring of 2014 it was ridiculous. Warps, bubbles, waves in the leather and the plastic inserts. I drive a lot so I was beyond 36K miles by the time I complained though the car has only been in service 26 months or so and mileage has nothing to do with the dashboard disaster. So far the dealer will only respond that it is out of warranty. Other than the dashboard and some minor complaints about paint quality on the non-metallic body parts, the vehicle is excellent.

Excellent gas mileage and long range out of the V6. The stereo is nice and the seats are comfortable for long hauls. The pop open back glass is a great feature for putting small items in without opening the whole hatch. OEM tires gave me over 45K miles.

If JEEP wants to compete with luxury competitors then it better learn how to use leather, wood and plastic in the cabin. If JEEP wants my business again, it better learn that customers spending $50K on a car expect the luxury features to stay luxurious.