Do not go by its looks
By smathew31 on
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)
Guys please be careful with going only on external appearances and marketing techniques (I am not implying the first reviews made by auto magazines as they get only a “first impression” point of view). I am based in Dubai and bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) 2011 in July 2011 and was very impressed by it. I even went around promoting the product to my friends and family so much that even my brother in Australia bought a new one. Moreover I was even planning for a Dodge charger as my next car. My best buddy too has almost booked a new Jeep GC 2012. Unfortunately it has lived to its reputation of very poor reliability. I have been experiencing software and GPS issues from day one. The pad of the parking break came off in 5 months’ time and dealer said it was not covered under the warranty clause and I had to pay for it. Luckily for me the service consultant gave me such a shoddy service that the charge for the same was written off as a measure to compensate for the inconvenience caused to me. (I do not want to give details of the same as it was addressed by the service manager) I took the vehicle on an Oman trip (no off-roading and I have never used it for off-roading) around 6 months after buying the car and it wouldn’t start after doing an uphill (again on good tarred road.)I had taken it to the dealer and they said everything is ok. Now the vehicle has developed some engine issues as the Engine fault light (also called as MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light)) comes on. I cannot understand how a new vehicle can have so many issues? I have been perfect with its service and have allowed only the authorised dealer to even touch it. The dealer technicians cannot seem to find what the issue is with and had reset the computers so that the MIL light goes off. Yesterday the light came back on. Worst of all is I am left without a vehicle for all these days and they refuse to give a spare vehicle. I had also called Chrysler Middle East who promised to get back on the issue but with no luck (they did not even call back). The car spent 3 days at the work shop and I guess it is only fair that I am given a replacement car. The warranty conditions in the US covers this factor wherein the dealer should arrange a replacement car (if the car develops issues during the warranty period and KM limit). This clause unfortunately has been conveniently removed for the Middle East. I even searched the net on the same and came across lots of negative feedback on Jeep GC (the new model) at American forums where they are more transparent. I really wish reliability issues were brought up so that other buyers are not caught off-guard after shelling out so much money for a product that only looks good. I honestly regret for not having gone for a Pajero or a Japanese car. This is the first time I ventured for an American vehicle and I consider it the biggest follies of my life (by the way I used to own a Mitsubishi Pajero which I sold to buy the Jeep). So much of American tax payers ‘money has gone to revive the Chrysler Group and I think the people of America deserve more dedication from this group to upkeep the reputation and trust of the consumers towards American products (especially cars), in the international market. Another warning; please do not go by what the sales persons at the Trading Enterprises say as they are extremely economical in the “truthfulness” area. To all aspiring Jeep owners, my suggestion is to do a research on the net before buying this vehicle.
Favorite Features
Looks, push button start, and Interiors.
Suggested Improvements
Very poor reliability and dealer support. Only polite words and no action. Do not go for a Jeep as it has proved its poor quality and reliability issues. Chrysler is least bothered to set things right. Run away and do not fall for its looks. Reminds me of a verse in the Bible : Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion. Proverbs 11:22 (NIV) Beauty is temporary but charecter is what counts.