Used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Unexpectedly Poor Reliability
By va944s

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have been extremely disappointed in having four warranty issues within one year. I have had to have the following items replaced: torn weatherstripping, radiator, and media center. They have been unable to diagnose an issue with the keyless entry fob not working intermittantly. I contacted the dealer about all of the problems I've experienced and they gave me a Chrysler Customer Service number to contact. The service representative was unable to offer any assistance whatsoever, just wrote down what I've experienced and told me to call back if I had any more issues!

There is a Federal Lemon Law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) that basically deals with various consumer products that suffer multiple repair attempts under the manufacturer's factory warranty which I don't believe is the case here. However, I believe that Chrysler should at a minimum offer discounted extended warranties to consumers that experience as many problems as I have in such a short period of time. One would think they would at least act concerned about customer goodwill after all of the "near death" experiences the company has experienced in recent years:<(

I never thought I'd buy American but....
By jessica40

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I am pleased with my purchase. I was considering the Lexus RX when I saw the new redesigned JGC Laredo passing by in traffic. It grabbed my attention. I went home and did my research.. one week later I had purchased one. It has that luxury feel to it and very comfortable (leather interior). On the flip side.. I just had to take it into Jeep bcus the engine light came on..it has been there now for 3 days.. they were nice enough to give me a loaner (2012 Durango). I also own an Infiniti G37 but prefer my Jeep! The dealer mentioned something about and O2 sensor, all covered under warranty. I miss my truck but want to put pressure on them as I dont want it rushed and want it fixed properly!!

It is very stylish and comfortable. Feel of luxury..

More space in the backseat for my growing preteen.

Hemi JGC 4WD
By helilog

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned for 30,000 miles. Laredo X with V-8 Hemi. EPA accurately rated at 13/19 mpg. Using Plus or Premium fuel allows the engine to run in 4-cylinder mode more, giving another 1 or 2 mpg. Have had zero problems with my Jeep. I've experienced engine surging noted by others, is eliminated by a downshift: move the gearshift lever to the left. I've experienced the bad key fob noted by others. Pop out the start button, insert fob in the hole and use as a normal key for a day. This recharges the fob battery. Repeat every 2 weeks. Roomy back seat fits child seat and 2 average adults. Front seats (leather, electric) are good for all day. This is a very nice vehicle.

Reclining rear seat backs. Roomy rear storage area. Quality interior which matches up with the ML and GL Mercedes SUVs we have owned. As a matter of fact, many of the Jeep interior materials and parts look strangely identical to the Mercedes versions. This Jeep was developed by Chrysler/Mercedes alongside the current ML/GL, all three are built in the USA, so the commonality makes sense. Except the Jeep has a better 4WD system! Hemi V-8 sounds cool too.

Go to a modern 7 or 8 speed transmission. Fuel economy and acceleration would improve and the complaints of engine jerkiness and surging, all caused by the current transmission, would disappear.

2011 JGC Key Fob Issues
By csummers1

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our new 2011 JGC in Oct 2011. The key fob is not recognized so it won't unlock or start. When you press unlock on the key fob, nothing happens. We tried using the hidden key inside the fob to unlock the door, but all that does is set off the alarm. The vehicle goes into security mode and there's nothing we can do until it's ready!!! Owner's manual says remove the start button and insert the key fob to start the vehicle and take it out of alarm mode, but that doesn't happen. It's locked down! It's been in the shop 3 Xs with no results. We think we have a lemon...still waiting to hear back from Chrysler. In the shop for 3 weeks now while we wait to see what Chrysler is going to do.

Other than this major key fob problem, we love our Jeep. It rides great, drives great and we are satisfied with everything else about it. The only reason I rated it bad on exterior is because there is a factory flaw in the paint on the hood. It's been repainted, which makes us very angry! Come on - brand new vehicle with a repainted hood...

Fix the key fob problem! We are tired of messing with it and tired of being stranded. It may work fine one minute, but not the next. We are completely frustrated at this point. We bought a new vehicle for reliablility - we do not have that with our Jeep.

Comfortable on road, not suited for extreme off-roading!
By gavin10

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I reside in Dubai, UAE and purchased this vehicle after reading reviews and watching several adverts about how the car performs well off-road. The truth - it cannot do well on major sand dunes. Around 10+ of these have had damaged radiator/condenser units after being driven offroad because of sudden jumps. Even the Overland model has had bad luck here. Thru insurance i got my radiator replaced, but weeks later overheating problems occured for which Jeep/Chrysler could not figure out why - so they changed the whole engine under warranty! Still didnt fix the issue! Later found that the coolant compartment was leaking! Extremely poor reliability of this vehicle. Jeep UAE admits it shamelessly.

Great audio system in the Laredo model, great dashboard look, great on-road handling. Comfy seats. As long as this car is on road, its the best ever. Just dont take it to extreme off-road conditions.

The Radiator/Condenser unit has been placed just behind the front bumper, exposing it to the ground, such that during offroading if the car were to jump and hit the ground, this would damage the condenser. The ride height of this vehicle is extremely low and the clearance not good enough. This is the major problem on this vehicle. Jeep UAE has asked Jeep USA as to why this has been built like this, and apparently this would only be fixed in the next model release!!