Used 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Very poor reliability
By morzh

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I have been a Jeep fan for a long time. Owned a Cherokee before, was a decent car. I knew the reliability reputation full well and bought this GC against my better judgement. Let's say, I have paid. Right after 4 years of very mild driving and not even 40K on odometer things started happening. The speed sensor. $1000. The starter. $800. A pressure sensor leaking air. $90. Today - another pressure sensor leaking air (the car will be 6 years old this August). $150. A $150 tire flat fix. No more Chrysler products for me.

I absoltuely love my JGC
By fingaz

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It is a very comfortable vehicle, drives great... with the upgraded interior (leather, navi) its really a comfortable luxurious truck. Its VERY reliable, too. Currently I am at 75,000mi and other than normal maintenance (change the oil every 3,000 miles), I haven't had any problems what-so-ever.

Favorite Features

The outside styling, interior looks great with the leather seats and navigation. I also love taking it off road (on the beach) I have the lowest level 4x4 system and it still performs great. And after driving a smaller car, I really like the back-up cam and the parking assist sensors.

Suggested Improvements

None! I wouldn't have changed a thing!

Solid SUV with Good Gas Mileage
By theov

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2009 GC at the end of 2009 and was able to get this 4x4 SUV at $24,750 before state taxes. The vehicle is an excellent blend of on-road and off-road prowess. On the road, the Jeep has excellent handling getting 17-18 mpg around town and 21-22 mpg on the highway. This is better than the original advertised ratings and this still holds true after 115,000 miles on the vehicle. As good as this vehicle is on the road, it really excels in the snow. I feel very confident when bad weather provides a challenge to safe driving. The Grand Cherokee handles with confidence and good feedback to allow safe driving decisions. A great, reliable used vehicle if you can get one.

Favorite Features

1. Better gas mileage than the ratings. 2. Ample storage in the wagon areas and easy to fold flat seats. 3. Confident handling in winter weather.

Suggested Improvements

1. Quieter cabin, the transmission does whine a fair amount. 2. Need a better back seat from an ergonomic standpoint, but they have resolved this with the re-vamped GC.

disappointed on my2009 jeep
By oliva1

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a new 2009 Gand Cher. Laredo and have problems with it starting at about 6,000 miles. When I acclerate going into the highway it does nothing and than all of sudden it shoots out. It does not happen all the time, but it is dangerous when you have only a certain amount of time to acclerate before a car comes up on you behind. I have complained to the dealership for over a year and half and all they have told me is they cann't find anything wrong (the computer does not regester it). I have almost had 3 accidents because of this and yesterday I had to go the side of the road in order for a truck not to plow into my rear end as we were getting on the interstate. It is at the dealer

Disappointed
By debbie061

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2009 with 4 miles on it. Everything was going fine the first year, now that I'm into my second year with 30,000 miles on it, my Jeep has been in the shop every month. First it was an ERG valve then an ABS sensor, the following month my drain tubes from the moon roof were clogged and one day driving down the road I put on the brakes and water poured out of my overhead lights. But wait I just got back from the dealer having my blower motor replaced. Thank goodness all were covered under factory warranty,but 2000 miles left and it's my problem and the dealer wants me to trade it in for a 2011 Compass. I think I'm done with Jeeps,maybe I'll try a Honda CRV