Used 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Jeep grand repairs
By D Easley

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought mine from one owner used. Had just over 100000. Since January 2015-Oct 2015 have replaced the clock speed sensor, the starter, wheel bearing, now the transmission is starting to slip. Chrysler jacked up the jeep name. Used to be a dependable vehicle. Stay far away from this vehicle.

Beware of Transfer Case Problems and Elecronics
By Mr. PM

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my GC Laredo 4.7L used. I had the service 4wd message in the dashboard and took it to the Jeep dealer. The GC had some weird noise in the transfer case area. It cost me $100.00 for a diagnostic to tell me that the transfer case was bad. An a quote of S3,500 for a remanufactured Chrysler NV245 transfer case because Chrysler does not make those junk transfer cases anymore. I went to a transmission shop and they installed a used one from the junk yard and couple weeks after the electric motor of the transfer case went bad. I complained to Chrysler about the transfer case and their response was that after 100,000 I am expected to replace the transfer case. I had 1997 Honda CRV with 297,000 plus miles without transfer case issues.

Very poor reliability
By morzh

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I have been a Jeep fan for a long time. Owned a Cherokee before, was a decent car. I knew the reliability reputation full well and bought this GC against my better judgement.
Let's say, I have paid.

Right after 4 years of very mild driving and not even 40K on odometer things started happening.

The speed sensor. $1000.
The starter. $800.
A pressure sensor leaking air. $90.
Today - another pressure sensor leaking air (the car will be 6 years old this August). $150. A $150 tire flat fix.

No more Chrysler products for me.

I absoltuely love my JGC
By fingaz

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
It is a very comfortable vehicle, drives great... with the upgraded interior (leather, navi) its really a comfortable luxurious truck.

Its VERY reliable, too.
Currently I am at 75,000mi and other than normal maintenance (change the oil every 3,000 miles), I haven't had any problems what-so-ever.

The outside styling, interior looks great with the leather seats and navigation. I also love taking it off road (on the beach) I have the lowest level 4x4 system and it still performs great. And after driving a smaller car, I really like the back-up cam and the parking assist sensors.

None! I wouldn't have changed a thing!

Solid SUV with Good Gas Mileage
By theov

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2009 GC at the end of 2009 and was able to get this 4x4 SUV at $24,750 before state taxes.
The vehicle is an excellent blend of on-road and off-road prowess.

On the road, the Jeep has excellent handling getting 17-18 mpg around town and 21-22 mpg on the highway.
This is better than the original advertised ratings and this still holds true after 115,000 miles on the vehicle.

As good as this vehicle is on the road, it really excels in the snow.
I feel very confident when bad weather provides a challenge to safe driving.
The Grand Cherokee handles with confidence and good feedback to allow safe driving decisions.

A great, reliable used vehicle if you can get one.

1. Better gas mileage than the ratings. 2. Ample storage in the wagon areas and easy to fold flat seats. 3. Confident handling in winter weather.

1. Quieter cabin, the transmission does whine a fair amount. 2. Need a better back seat from an ergonomic standpoint, but they have resolved this with the re-vamped GC.