Used 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Our 6th Grand Cherokee
By festone

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Everything considered - this is far and away the best GC that we have ever owned. The 2004 Overland that we traded in was great - but this one really shines. The design and build quality seem far superior than previous years. The engine - although thirsty at almost all speeds - is responsive and relatively quiet for its size. We had 34" of snow during December and the Jeep navigated the hills and drifts with ease. Far better in fact than our Wrangler. The MyGig Nav system / audio is great.

Favorite Features

MyGig Nav, HID headlights, styling

Suggested Improvements

More padding in the rear seats. Better gas mileage.

This Jeep is the best ever
By Car Lover

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had 2 jeeps before this (2004 overland and 2004 limited.) I must say if your looking for vehicles in this class, you have to get this one. It's really nice (wood, wooden steering wheel, leather, and much more. the fastest I've had this SUV up to is 140mph (actual speed) and this car has no governor. In all the Jeeps I've had I have never had one break down.

Favorite Features

I love the powerful 5.7L HEMI engine, does great in snow and ice, does great off- road

Suggested Improvements

None!!!

First Time Jeep Owner and Loving It!
By Ashley S.

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV and my first Jeep and I must say I am truly pleased so far. I've had it almost 3 weeks now and it is exactly what I was looking for. It drives smooth, has good pickup, and has some really great features. I got one with 16k mileage with the Xpackage for an awesome deal! I saw on some of the other models that people left reviews for that they had a problem with water leaking, I drove mine in torrential downpour last night with no problem. I looked at many different kinds of SUV's before choosing this one and I am fully satisfied with my choice. Comfortable, roomy, fun to drive, and an overall great SUV.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel controls, mine came with remote start which is a great feature to have, heated seats, overall interior appearance is very nice, computer personal programming, satellite radio, so many to name!

Suggested Improvements

Of course every SUV could use better gas mileage. It says 15 highway on my window sticker, I've been getting around 16.5 mpg, not too bad, but some SUV's get around 20. Locking gas cap would be better too. Other than that can't think of any complaints, great SUV for your buy!

3rd Jeep
By jd

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

What's the Caddy commercial say about returning the favor? Yes! My JGC definitely returns the favor! Nice ride, fun to drive and the 4.7L has great pick-up. Haven't tried the E85 yet - so can't comment on performance/mileage there. Now that gas prices are down - my purchasing a V8 in June when gas was near $4 doesn't look so stupid. How are people complaining about gas mileage in these reviews? You saw what the EPA estimates were when you bought it - as long as you're not getting worse mileage than EPA estimates, how can you rate gas mileage as poor? I'm consistently getting a couple of more mpg in comparison to EPA estimates. Got 21mpg on 600 mile highway trip recently.

Favorite Features

MyGig rocks as do the Boston Acoustic Speakers and Sirius. Nav is great, back-up camera.

Suggested Improvements

Blue Tooth. Documentation says my phone is supported, but it's been unreliable at best. Haven't tried another phone yet. Bring the Saddle Brown leather seats into the Limited. I just couldn't justify the add'l $ for Overland considering you're not getting much more than is on the Limited.

Life after Land Rovers
By Tom2008

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have had 3 Land Rovers (2 Disco, 1 LR3) Had almost bought a Commander before the last Land Rover. I couldn't pass up on the deals this time. Need power to pull my 22' boat and the Hemi makes you forget the boat is still there. The leather is nice, but the plastics in the interior are not as nice as Land Rover. My kids both have the old Cherokees (1999 & 2000) and still love them.

Favorite Features

Hemi

Suggested Improvements

Interior materials (plastics)although the leather is nice.