Used 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

2008 Diesel Grand Cherokee
By osogrande65

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great hopes for the Daimler Chrysler spawn. The Mercedes diesel 3.0 V6 remains spectacular. The Jeep QuadraTrak is amazing, when it works. Mine is so unreliable that, in the 77 months that I have owned it, I have not had the use of it for 14 of those months. First the tranny at 35k (in the end Jeep's Chief Engineer diagnosed the problem), 6 months in shop; the rear end at 60k, in a month, centre differential at 75k, 2 months in shop, centre diff again, at 80k. Now at 115k the tranny and centre diff apparently have badly leaking seals and both are being pulled and repaired to be safe (3 months so far). No warranty now so $3500 plus GST. I AM NOT HAPPY! I will not buy another Chrysler product

Favorite Features

Love the turbo-diesel, great power and decent mileage. When it works, the drivetrain keeps this SUV stuck nicely to the road. Comfortable to drive in all conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is horrible. Oil changes are expensive but reasonable as they change 10 litres of synthetic oil out (Mercedes turbo specific grade) and extra heavy duty filter. Fit and finish is not bad but could be improved (many squeaks and rattles from about 20k on.

Love the JEEP
By disgustedagain

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have heard many stories out there about the poor gas milage of the Jeeps. Please, Do not beleive them. Sure, they will drink down the gas in gulps if you are getting it on, which they will do! However in mixed driving to work 25 miles mixed city and freeway, with the smaller V8, the Jeep Grand Cherkee Limited is AVERAGING 19.5 Miles per gallon. On the Highway, it is getting 24 miles per gallon AVERAGE! so, for a 4X4 SUV, I would say that is really good! The SUV rides smooth, nimble, small turning radious, all I can want. With Michelin Snows, it digs in deep snow like childs play. If you want a real nice SUV, this is the one for you!

Favorite Features

1. Heated front and rear seats for MN winters. 2.Backup LCD with sonic Warnings - especially in parking lots! 3. Remote Start - For warming her up when it is Minus 18 degrees out side. 4. How the Jeep Efortlessly goes through deep snow, and how stable it is in bad slick weather. 5. Quality through out, even in the engine cab, with all fluids labeled, up front and easy to see and get at.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter - More Powerful ventilation fan.

LOVE LOVE LIKE
By yesdnyl99

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Jeep after loving them since I was little. It's rugged while still comfortable. The speakers are loud and clear, it's comfortable on long trips, and it's quite trusting when you find yourself in bad weather. It swings around to get into parking spaces that other SUVs wouldn't be able to fit into because they don't have a sharp turn. This one does without being scared of embarrassing yourself with having to reverse a million times. SUVs are normally bumpy but this one is pretty fun when it does bounce. The style is masculine but feminine enough for women to drive it without feeling like a guy.

Favorite Features

I love the stereo dash looks. It feels like luxury without removing the rugged look Jeep has. It has several different options like MP3 CD, 6 CD changer, AUX and Satellite.

Suggested Improvements

The engine needs to be a little bigger. While other SUVs with 3rd row seating come with 4.0 engine, they are faster. Jeeps have a 3.7 and seem sluggish at times. I wish I could get the 4.0 engine without a V8 for speed. You end up using more gas but choose one: smaller engine and slow with lower mpg or bigger engine, speed and higher mpg. Sometimes you need that speed to get out of the way of the crazies.

loving it
By jenna77

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I always wanted a SUV and we had 2 paid off vehicles so didn't really want to go buy one. Then we wrecked our truck so we decided to replace it with an SUV. Not knowing I'd be getting an SUV soon I just went test driving different SUVs. Bought this because I loved the ride. I've had it 2 years now. It had kind of high miles when I got it but I work 1 mile from home so the miles are not adding up fast anymore. I love love love it. I've had no problems whatsoever. Does great in our Utah snow.

Great Jeep for fun and towing
By Starguy

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have the limited 4.7L with the towing package and air brake module. This thing pulls a 28' travel trailer like it was nothing. The trailer has the leveler bars which make it possible with this size. The motor strains some while passing up hill or really steep grades. So if you know the limits it's great. Gas mileage while pulling was between 13 if you push it and 16 if you keep it around 60 to 65 mph. but straight driving highway mileage I've gone from 18 to 25 depending on speed and wind conditions. I have everything except the 5.7 hemi and the trim package of the Overland model. The wife and I love it and are going to purchase it when the lease is up. Safety was a big factor also,solid.

Favorite Features

4wd system lets you explore anywhere, safety is outstanding, towing, handling, fit and finish is ok, buying the bumper to bumper warranty, remote start, heated seats front & back, leather seats, sound system

Suggested Improvements

voice command system needs work,not able to have passenger use navigation while in motion,not having the cruise control on steering wheel its hard to see at night,get bugs worked out of 30 gig hard drive so songs dont dump,faster response time for nav. system.