Used 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Should have kept this instead of new 2015!
By John

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This was a great car. 55,000 miles and never a huge issue. Sure just had to bring it in for regular maintenance but with the 7 year warranty coming to an end this month we traded it in for a beautiful fully loaded 2015 Limited. While no transmission issues like a lot of people have, my 2015 has a lot of electrical issues that just piss you off! However, my 2008 was a Jeep and it drove like a truck. Crappy gas mileage but a great all around car, no electrical or engine issues ever. Had a small hole in muffler at the end that I didn't repair because I was getting rid of but it was very reliable. I wish I could get it back and maybe trade it in now for something!

2008 Diesel Grand Cherokee
By osogrande65

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great hopes for the Daimler Chrysler spawn. The Mercedes diesel 3.0 V6 remains spectacular. The Jeep QuadraTrak is amazing, when it works. Mine is so unreliable that, in the 77 months that I have owned it, I have not had the use of it for 14 of those months. First the tranny at 35k (in the end Jeep's Chief Engineer diagnosed the problem), 6 months in shop; the rear end at 60k, in a month, centre differential at 75k, 2 months in shop, centre diff again, at 80k. Now at 115k the tranny and centre diff apparently have badly leaking seals and both are being pulled and repaired to be safe (3 months so far). No warranty now so $3500 plus GST. I AM NOT HAPPY! I will not buy another Chrysler product

Love the turbo-diesel, great power and decent mileage. When it works, the drivetrain keeps this SUV stuck nicely to the road. Comfortable to drive in all conditions.

Reliability is horrible. Oil changes are expensive but reasonable as they change 10 litres of synthetic oil out (Mercedes turbo specific grade) and extra heavy duty filter. Fit and finish is not bad but could be improved (many squeaks and rattles from about 20k on.

Love the JEEP
By disgustedagain

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have heard many stories out there about the poor gas milage of the Jeeps.
Please,
Do not believe them.
Sure, they will drink down the gas in gulps if you are getting it on, which they will do!
However in mixed driving to work 25 miles mixed city and freeway, with the smaller V8, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is AVERAGING 19.5 Miles per gallon.
On the Highway, it is getting 24 miles per gallon AVERAGE!
so, for a 4X4 SUV, I would say that is really good!
The SUV rides smooth, nimble, small turning radius, all I can want. With Michelin Snows, it digs in deep snow like child's play.
If you want a real nice SUV, this is the one for you!

1 year later - Two disappointments - The 2008 Limited also lost an Alternator at about 55,000 miles. Not acceptable.
Front and Rear Shocks and Struts replaced at 60,000 miles.

The 2007 Grand Cherkoee
The Back shocks made it to 115,00 which I consider good.
Has 135,000 on the Front Struts which have not leaked, but getting weak. The original Alternator is still working great on the 2007. Great!
Jeep / Chrysler could have done better. This is why the likes of Subaru, Toyota are shining. The OEM parts are under rated on purpose on American Brands. They need to step it up! Jeep , now Italian - We will see.
We love these vehicles especially in Minnesota Winters. Child's play.

LOVE LOVE LIKE
By yesdnyl99

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Jeep after loving them since I was little.
It's rugged while still comfortable.
The speakers are loud and clear, it's comfortable on long trips, and it's quite trusting when you find yourself in bad weather.
It swings around to get into parking spaces that other SUVs wouldn't be able to fit into because they don't have a sharp turn.
This one does without being scared of embarrassing yourself with having to reverse a million times.
SUVs are normally bumpy but this one is pretty fun when it does bounce.
The style is masculine but feminine enough for women to drive it without feeling like a guy.

I love the stereo dash looks. It feels like luxury without removing the rugged look Jeep has. It has several different options like MP3 CD, 6 CD changer, AUX and Satellite.

The engine needs to be a little bigger. While other SUVs with 3rd row seating come with 4.0 engine, they are faster. Jeeps have a 3.7 and seem sluggish at times. I wish I could get the 4.0 engine without a V8 for speed. You end up using more gas but choose one: smaller engine and slow with lower mpg or bigger engine, speed and higher mpg. Sometimes you need that speed to get out of the way of the crazies.

loving it
By jenna77

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I always wanted a SUV and we had 2 paid off vehicles so didn't really want to go buy one. Then we wrecked
our truck so we decided to replace it with an SUV. Not knowing I'd be getting an SUV soon I just went test driving different SUVs. Bought this because I loved the ride. I've had it 2 years now. It had kind of high miles when I got it but I work 1 mile from home so the miles are not adding up fast anymore. I love love love it. I've had no problems whatsoever. Does great in our Utah snow.