2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Need to recall

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Need to recall
By Amy on

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep used last year with 24,000 miles on it. Up until now it has been absolutely wonderful. However,a few weeks ago I started experiencing loss of acceleration when turning. Then this week, I took a left turn and it would not accelerate at all. I ended up rolling to the other side of the road and was luckily able to pull over. Today I spent $950.00 replacing the electronic shift module. The car has currently only 37,000 miles which of course is just out of warranty. I am very disappointed to learn after the fact that this is a common problem. There needs to be a recall on this vehicle. This is a serious safety hazard.

recall and replace electronic shift module
By jepster9
on 01/10/11 07:06 AM (PST)

I bought a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee from CarMax in VaBeach last June with about 25K miles. Two days ago, I was driving in traffic and suddenly I lost power. I could floor the accelerator and the car would barely move forward. All the other gears were fine. Also, when I looked down at the gear indicator lights, ALL seemed to have a box around them (PRND)! This would indicate that I was in all gears at the same time! I got the vehicle home and let it sit overnight. The next morning I drove it and NONE of the symptoms were present (shifted fine). It does sound like the electronic shift module mention before (an intermittent problem is usually electrical). I have an appointment with the CarMax Repair folks on Thursday. But since the car is not exhibiting the symptoms, I don't know what they can do. I'll keep you posted.