Used 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

3 years later
By luvjeepsrt

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased new early '08 with every option. My 3 year check in-54k miles. 7 brake jobs, odd considering it was 90% highway driving....27 incidents of check engine light coming on-2 pcm's replaced, 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, various cracked pieces of plastic broken while at the dealer while being repaired that will cost a fortune to replace (dealer of course denies). Never driven it rough, never had an accident. Dealer experiences hit and miss, most see unable to address SRT issues and how to fix properly.

Favorite Features

The good-My rear tires lasted 40k miles but went through 4 sets of front tires. I have averaged 17.8 mpg on road trips and 12.8 in town. It is still a head turner and fun to drive when it is not at the dealership being fixed. I look forward to the VVT 6.4 for 2012!

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes-(I know, it weighs a ton and Brembos are supposed to be great....) Jeep needs to be much more proactive with customer issues with SRT's.

Dream Comes True
By Turbo

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

Finally purchased my Dream Machine with help from Employer. Traded my company H3 and paid the difference myself to enable me to have a SRT-8 Company Car! Well its amazing, and probably the cheapest way to get 420 BHP in a 4x4. Amazed, it Torque steers to the right when you give it some, is this standard? It has an upgraded Exhaust and intake but unsure if this changes its performance much from stock. Radio is Boring but sounds good, who cares, No Spare, who cares. A true buy from the heart rather than the head purchase and I am so hooked I am looking for a nice Harley V-Rod to keep it company. I am a British Ex-Pat living in Dubai and Living my life, So fuel is not a Problem. BUY ONE

Favorite Features

Engine, Engine and did I mention the Engine, Looks, Respect u get on the Road, Sound, Rear DVD, Wheel Design, So easy to just get in and drive with nothing complicated to set up. Handles like it shouldn't. No complaints

Suggested Improvements

I will be picky and say the following. 1) Handbrake Lever! 2) Front Sensors Needed 3) Push Button Start 4) Remote Start/Cooling for Dubai 5) Should be standard Sat/Nav 6) None of the above Bothers me..

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
By Jacques Guertin

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

In spite of a few reliability issues (e.g., occasional erratic A/C and occasional erratic power), this car is built like a tank and accelerates 0 to 60 in about 4.8 s! For a 5,000 lb SUV for less than $50k, this is fantastic. It also handles well and is less prone to roll over than many other SUVs. And, it looks good too. I would not hesitate buying another.

Favorite Features

Power, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seating area should be enlarged by perhaps 6 inches and the rear seats need to be higher (for leg comfort). Of course, you would have to add more power to compensate for the extra car length. Finally, use graphite, titanium, and magnesium to lighten the car and get better gas mileage.

It's been a year of ownership
By D.Brisson

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

See my earlier review here, still a fun vehicle but has its problems. Still very fast and have caught a few very quick cars off guard. Transmission planetary spacer destroyed itself from the factory install resulting in damaged transmission and torque converter. Dealer service spotty at best. Took 2 tries to finally find a Jeep dealer that allowed for confidence, Century in Mt Airy MD. Brakes wear fast and replacements are 3 times that of a typical brake job. Parts for rotors and brakes alone online are $650. replacement brakes are better than the stock units, less dust and squeal. Interior very plasticky in its build it will grow on you. Several Electrical Tech service bulletins

Favorite Features

Fast, unique look, overall feel

Suggested Improvements

Test, and retest, trans reliability is abysmal, see the SRT forums for failures. Dealership treatment is horrid. Coming from an Escalade I expected a bit of a decrease but not what I received, it's still a flagship vehicle, treat it like one. Attention to detail during assembly thats all we ask.

Problematic SRT
By Garbage SRT

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

All I can say is that this Jeep is not what I thought it to be. First off, when you punch the gas, the Jeep has this big delay and hesitation. Then it will take off, by that time the other guy is at least 3 car lengths a head of you. I just don't get it. This truck is to have 420 pony's. But it feels like it has half that. Its said to say this but Jeep needs to re-think things a little. I still have my 01 X5 4.4i. And I had my buddy race me with it, sure enough my old X5 beat me by a car length. I'm tellin you, they just don't build them like they used too. Even BMW has changed there stuff. I'm getting rid of this truck and picking up a Porsche Pepper. That turbo S is sick.

Favorite Features

Engine bay, wide tires, rims, and exhaust position.

Suggested Improvements

Tranny, hesitation, engine response. Everything else is small time. The major stuff is engine and tranny. Revamp my friends. Or Jeep you will be solf off again.