Will never own another Jeep!
By mandalay_415 on
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)
I've had this vehicle since February of 2007 and it has been just an averagely okay vehicle. It started having non-stop problems that most mechanics couldn't diagnose. The worst was when it would shudder/shake, lurch like it was shifting from overdrive to 2nd and just shut off while driving. Not safe! It took 4 visits to 2 different mechanics to finally figure out the problem and only after I told them to humor me and check something that I had found after hours of researching the symptoms online. Lights randomly come on and then go off without registering any codes. I have driven this across the country and never got more than 18mpg. I will never own another Jeep/Chrysler ever again!
By pm270x
on 08/31/12 19:51 PM (PDT)

I have the 3.7 L V6 with rough idling & electric issues with instrument cluster when driving over bumps. Bought mine used & had sever torque converter slippage with shuddering after about a month. Electrical issues can't be duplicated as of yet. My mechanic's opinion is that the ignition is the most probable cause since no error messages appear. The incorrect transmission fluid was used by the previous owner & changing it out solved all my transmission issues. I only use Mobile ATF4 transmission fluid as recommended by my owners manual & mechanic. On a thousand mile trip, I briefly hit 19 miles per gallon, Quadra Trac 4 x 4 full-time, with nitrogen pressurized tires. Mechanic says the 3.7L V6 has a well known header valves & pushrods issue around 65k-90k miles. 1,500 or lower RPM seems very weak & aggressively downshifts to 1st in my subdivision; while our 3.5L V6 Honda Odyssey comfortabley pulls the same hill in 2nd gear.

By kmess
on 10/07/11 17:24 PM (PDT)

My 06 has the randomly flickering lights. Did you find out what caused it in yours?

By brokenjeep3
on 07/21/12 07:55 AM (PDT)

I knew I would find someone with same issues.I also had exhaust manifold get fixed like 5 times.Should have been a lemon.This problem started the first month I started driving brand new vehicle Also the other problem that has repeatedly occurred since day one is engine light comes on.When I brought it to service tech attention they said to remove gas cap and replace This has never gone away and two different service locations have done nothing but tell me to keep doing repairs that are not covered and are costing me with no resolution The latest situation is same as yours with truck stalling while I am driving 60 mph on the highway talk about being scared and now they cant find what is wrong but want me to spend 600 without guarantee it will stop problem