2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Stick a fork in me: I'm done

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Stick a fork in me: I'm done
By Jeff B. on

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loaded. Immaculately maintained My second Jeep. (Wife likes her new 2nd Liberty. FWIW, her well maintained old one blew a head at 113,000, w/ no warning, but TG after she traded). Jeep can't build a damn tranny to save their life: this is my second (previous 2001) to trash the entire Quadra II tranny ($3500, each time). This one did it while I was saving up for a new evaporator ($1300) for the AC. I though my old BMW cost a bunch to maintain, but nothing on it "just broke": they wore out. Repeated drive line issues, ac problems and others make me wish I'd bought a Subaru/almost anything else. Helpful dealer. Awful car. Priced trade value on Edmunds: can you say "abandon ship?"

Strong engine, good seats holding up well, love the size and relatively good maneuverability for an SUV.. Jeep did a good job meeting design goals.

Transmission is pathetic. Has ANYONE else ever heard of an AC evaporator failing in only 3 years? (I mean shot, "holes like it was hit with a shotgun" were the techs words). I'm 54 and have had a lot of nice cars: this one is the worst car purchase I've ever made, reliability wise, including used.