Pains me to say it....
By kpn on
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)
As I write this my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is in the shop for the 8th time in the 2.5 years I've owned it. I'm a low mileage driver 13000 miles in 2.5 years, which comes out to a trip to the dealer every 1625 miles for service - 4 times for the exact same reoccuring issue - absurd! I love this car, the size, handling, handling in snow, features, the amount of options I got for the money, but the reliability, sadly is just not there. Prior to getting married I was a strictly Japanese car owner, but my husband was a Jeep die hard. After driving his 02 Cherokee for a Chicago winter I decided to bite the bullet and get one of my own. Sadly this car has proven Japanese is better.
Favorite Features
Size, cargo space, interior - mine is loaded. Leather heated seating, adjustable pedals. Styling, the ability to drive right out of a snow filled city parking spot, post plow, with no trouble whatsoever. Radio controls on the steering wheel, handling is great.
Suggested Improvements
Reliability. A 5 year old car with 57K on it should not be in the shop every 1625 miles. My first Toyota was a 1994 Corolla, it's 2011, and my little brother is still driving it - make a Jeep do that and you will have my love forever. These weirdo, Jeep-specific, mystery, electrical problems are exhausting, and when I look on Jeep forums and see how common my exact same issues are, well that is pathetic. This vehicle has a cult like following, and by all accounts should warrant it, but the reliability issues I have experienced sort of make me embarassed that this thing was made in America. In 16 years I had a Mitsubishi and Toyota, combined, the 2 did not rack up 8 trips to the mechanic. Sad