Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned. Never Again
By Skeeter

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Where to begin...bought as a 1 yr lease turn-in. In the first 36,000 miles, had to replace transmission shifter, ignition system, and car would sputter and stall (a well documented issue with the 3.6L engines on two other jeep models). Was told multiple there was no problem and that it was normal (dealerships and customer service). At 45,000 miles, airbag light started randomly coming on. Dealership could not tell me what was wrong. Power windows would come and go. Miles-to-empty tracker is completely sporadic. Do not trust it, find a gas station immediately after the light goes on (within 5 miles)! Cloth seats stain and spot with water. Wrangler tires are terrible, loud and ware unevenly.

Aux plug is a great feature, as well as all the options under the on-board computer. Storage areas in cargo area are very handy. Tire changing is easy for an under-mount spare. Engine is very quiet. Exterior styling is attractive.

Fix the major blind spots when changing lanes and turning. The cargo area is deceivingly small, due to the glass hatch sloping back. A box that fits the footprint of the cargo area, will not come close to fitting at the top unless the 2nd row seat is down. Horrible customer service! Read the reviews

Fun Car to drive...
By Christina85

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second jeep ( had a 2004 ) And i really like this car. Have had a few minor problems that chrysler took care of... i had the emergency break cord unhook and it was making a horrible noise under the car as if the muffler was dragging.. they had to replace something on the transmission and shifter column because it would decelerate for no reason.. all was fixed though by the company... Overall the GC seems really safe for my family .. It's got very solid handling and to maneuver this car is so easy! driving it has been really fun!

Leather seats , Awesome stereo for stock & sleek sleek exterior

interior room , gas efficiency

Issues I have had so far - 48K miles
By Gary in MD

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Had no issues first few years in MD. Moved to a year-round warm weather area. Tube that carries fluid from front to back windshield washer busted and water leaked from the column onto the driver side interior. Fixed by dealership, but not under mile one warranty. As another reader posted, engine was revving and all the gear displays were lighting up at once. It was the shifter computer or something. Fixed by dealership, under mileone warranty. About 250 out of pocket w/ deductible.

No air conditioning. Evaporator Coil. Dealership said A/C problem is happening with dodge/chrysler/jeep vehicles quite a bit. Costly repair due to time it takes to remove dash.I have a 98 ford taurus and have not had close to as many issues. plus the a/c blows COLD.

A/C should not go bad after 48K miles. mileone warranty needs to include rental car if the avg. consumer has to go 21 days or so in the first 3 yrs with car in shop.

Luv my jeep
By Luvnit

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is by far my favorite car I've ever been in or driven. It's pretty much my weekend toy. I don't have one complaint!! Put LED tail and head lights on it myself. Looks sweeeeet!! I love to drive it. Sick of hearing people whine about MPG!! Why did you buy it then!!!! I knew what i was getting when i bought it. I love the HEMI. I think this truck has got a lifetime fan out of me. Thinking about getting a Commander for my wife. Haven't been in one, but I like the style too. Good job Jeep!!! Hats Off!!

Everything. Wish i had the Navi though.

Don't understand why they put the fog lights in the bumper and not under it like normal. 2009 model is changed back to where they should be. Other than that.... I got nothin!

Awesome on and offroad!
By hemijeeperz5_7l

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is one of a few vehicles that offer an electronic limited slip front/center/rear. Other vehicles like the H1 and the Range Rover offer this type of four wheel drive system and both of them cost over $100,000.00. I love my Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7L Hemi. I have changed the exhaust to a 3" Magna Flow and put an inexpensive Cold Air Intake on it. I can run a 15.68 second quarter mile time and the thing weighs 5200 lbs with me in it. That is awesome. The road grip is second to none hands down. I have been in school 210 miles from home and had to drive it home on weekends this past winter and had no issues, even with 6" of snow on the Highway.

I am getting 18 mpg at 72mph. The Quadradrive II four wheel drive system. The power of the 5.7L Hemi. Brakes are awesome too. Stops faster than a 3 Series BMW! Leather is nice. Love the sound system and GPS. This vehicle drives exactly the same on dry pavement as it does on wet or snow covered

Fit and finish was bad when I picked it up. Had to adjust many body panels and doors myself. I was even missing trim parts. Not good for a vehicle with a tag of over $44,000.