2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Great!
By Mike on 09/04/08 22:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have been very very happy with my purchase so far. I do not drive all that much but it has been an excellent vehicle. I consistently get 20 mpg hwy and about 17 city. No mechanical problems to report as of yet. This is our 4th jeep and have been really happy.

UGH that is all I can say
By ConvertedJeephater on 08/10/08 16:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

WE purchased a "managers model" 2006 Jeep G Cherokee Laredo (manager's special, I.e. the loaner when the cars get fixed) Well number one, we were sworn to that the car wasn't smoked in, but sure enough when it was warm enough outside to open the windows, the window trim had cigarette burns in it (couldn't see them when it was closed) It then went in 3 times for check engine light but no one could tell me why. It rattles and almost stalls at stop lights.(told this was normal in this model) Car seats with latch can't be installed properly because of fixed head rests. AWFUL blind spots, and now the Air conditioner blower motor went...I have only owned Jeeps, I am on number 6 now, never again

Do not buy a Jeep
By Eric Schuster on 07/09/08 06:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this Jeep because my wife fell in love with it and we had a little one on the way. Guess what. I recently went to turn our baby seat front facing. It will not fit on right or left sides- has to be in the center. The headrests are NOT removable and at such an angle that they prevent the child seat from being installed at the right angle. Not to mention the gas mileage has been no better than 14.5 (mixed driving) and 15 hwy. Good news is that it does not seem to change if I am towing or not! I do not think cylinder deactivation works either. Also we have had so many wind leaks and noises. To sum it up- WHAT A MISTAKE! Poor engineering, high price and unsafe for my baby!

DO NOT BUY a Grand Cherokee
By Jeff on 07/04/08 18:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

And this is from somebody who has only owned Jeep products and going back to 1993. Mine is an 06 Hemi Limited with 29,000 miles now. 2nd day I owned it had to be towed away on a flat bed. The electronic throttle control went out. At 17,000 miles both differentials needed to be rebuilt. Drive shafts replaced for vibrations, memory seat work when it wants to. Passenger side window wont go up without a fight sometimes (window regulator) Engine ticks, transmission clunks, cannot be driven at 65 mph since the tranny cant make up its mind. The dealerships are complete scum and constantly try to get out of warranty work. You must fight them on everything. $44,000 msrp and now worth $15K

love my 65th edition
By lo123 on 06/24/08 18:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 65th edition back in Sept. 2006. I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't love is the gas mileage especially with gas at $4 a gallon. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon though. I only need to fill up every 2 weeks since most of my driving is local. I don't mind the plastic interior. I actually like it because it makes it easier to clean. I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee which I also really enjoyed. I love having the extra features on the Laredo that are included with the 65th edition. I really enjoy driving my jeep!

Nightmare Vehicle!
By Sam on 06/23/08 09:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my vehicle (used) in November of 2007. It has only been 8 months and I have had it in the shop 4 times already! 1st with the radio and heater, 2nd with the transmission, 3rd time with the transmission AGAIN, and now it's the a/c and shocks. I WILL NEVER IN MY LIFE PURCHASE ANOTHER JEEP. I have had nothing but trouble. And the gas mileage is even worse. I only average 15.3 HWY! Now I'm stuck with this piece of garbage for 5 years!!!

Worst car I ever bought
By GLENNS on 06/22/08 19:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been in the shop for shutting off while driving multiple times, rubbing noises when braking, windows not working properly, mirror has to be replaced, car still stutters periodically, manual locks had to be fixed. Until reprogrammed, car would stall when you hit a bump. Would NEVER buy another jeep. Horrible investment. Check resale value before purchasing.

Expected more
By euroman71 on 06/02/08 12:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Leased 06 Grand Cherokee with 3.7L V6 engine and auto transmission. First 30 days spent back at the dealer to fix these issues: Leakage through left A-pillar, turned out to be windshield seal; engine light on, fixed once, came on again 3 days later, fixed one more time; extremely unpleasant rattle on left side of IP, dealer tried to fix it twice, it got better, but once in a while you'd steal hear it. Gas mileage averaged 16 mpg mostly city driving. Positive features: loved during winter time, great on snow, much quieter interior, good driving dynamics, good power. Glad it was a lease, just turned it in and walked away from the dealer.

Fit and Finish
By Christopher on 05/25/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

They are not breaking any stereotypes about American cars with this Jeep. I really wanted to buy American and it seemed at first that Jeep gave you so many more options for the money compared to other brands. But the number of items big and small to break down in the first months of ownership is remarkable. From the ignition to the door on the thing that holds you sun glasses, almost nothing is too sacred for a trip of two to the shop. At the shop these problems are so common I hardly get a surprised look. I read in their propaganda that they are taking a hard look at improving the fit and finish. That would be a good start. We do drive ours off-road, and it is a lot of fun.

Powerful, but for short people
By roadbeagle on 05/07/08 03:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned several Jeep Cherokees and was displeased when the new body type came out. My two big complaints: the lousy gas mileage and the low headroom for driver and passenger. We have spent 18 months trying to move the seat and headrest every which way, but it is very difficult to get into the front seats without hitting your head on the top of the car or door frame. Otherwise, a great car with lots of power, lots of features and a pretty good price compared to the competition.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.