Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

My Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4
By Debbie

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car in 2007. I was excited about getting an American vehicle instead of an Asian car. But after having some minor problems, I learned that it was very much expensive to keep up with the replacement of this vehicle as oppose to an Asian vehicle. My warranty stinks. My navigation had problems, and when I took it to the dealer, they made me pay them $100 just to tell me that I had to buy the new CD to replace my navigation. I was pissed off about that. Another thing was the back middle seat belt got stuck, and wouldn't pull down. The dealer did not cover for that either. Overall, the dealer warranty stinks! I pay an additional $40.00 per month for warranty for nothing!

Favorite Features

Moon roof. Blue-tooth. The style and looks of the car. Other than that.....I love my car, it looks super HOT! ;)

Suggested Improvements

I just need to upgrade to the Grand Jeep SRT8!!! I want that car badly!

Reliable, Safe, Low maintenance
By Cody

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this 2006 Grand Cherokee brand new with the 4.7l V-8. It has been a great vehicle and now has 50k miles. Other than regular maintenance there has been no major mechanical problems. A few issues I have are around 20k a squeaking began from rear seat, and the interior is horrible for stains. Other than those minor issues it has and continues to be a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

V-8 power in a mid size SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Easily staining interior fabric and squeaky back seat. I wonder if these issues have been fixed on newer models.

Good Truck Based SUV
By Seanst27

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this car for over three years and put over 75,000 miles on it. It now has 102,000. Overall I've enjoyed owning the vehicle. The Limited model fit and finish is great and makes it a luxury type vehicle. MPG is what it is....you know what your getting when you buy a V8. The AWD/4X4 system is great but sucks down gas. So far I've had only one major problem. Engine light was coming on at around $50,000. Turned out to be the Quadra- Drive Transfer Case which had to be replaced at the tune of $2,000...wasn't happy about that. Since then no mechanical problems. I prefer to drive this vehicle over my wife's Nissan Murano and her previous Saab 9-3 2.0T Convertible.

Favorite Features

Automatic wipers, firm leather seats, auto dim/bright head lights, memory seats, SAT stereo, auto glare reducing mirrors

Suggested Improvements

MPG, use soft touch type of interior similar to Nissans in lieu of hard plastic dash,

Jeep story
By Jeep

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this "almost new" Jeep from Auto Gallery of Winnipeg. After few weeks when cleaning the vehicle I realized that the whole side of the vehicle has been repainted possibly due to accident. Went back to the dealer, they offered another 06 GC vehicle if I paid arm and leg in difference. I kept the vehicle and two years later both doors and rear fender started developing serious rust. Not knowing what other surprises are there, traded it for 08 GC. Beside the bad experience with the dealer, 06 GC was a very reliable, no problems during 50 000km of ownership.

Favorite Features

Reliability, headlights, mirrors

Suggested Improvements

06 GC 4.7 engine needs better gas mileage and more power, there are many V6's that produce more HP from less displacement. Front pillar is very thick and obscures visibility to the front, dangerous enough to completely hide a pedestrian. Lower rear cargo floor

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned. Never Again
By Skeeter

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Where to begin...bought as a 1 yr lease turn-in. In the first 36,000 miles, had to replace transmission shifter, ignition system, and car would sputter and stall (a well documented issue with the 3.6L engines on two other jeep models). Was told multiple there was no problem and that it was normal (dealerships and customer service). At 45,000 miles, airbag light started randomly coming on. Dealership could not tell me what was wrong. Power windows would come and go. Miles-to-empty tracker is completely sporadic. Do not trust it, find a gas station immediately after the light goes on (within 5 miles)! Cloth seats stain and spot with water. Wrangler tires are terrible, loud and ware unevenly.

Favorite Features

Aux plug is a great feature, as well as all the options under the on-board computer. Storage areas in cargo area are very handy. Tire changing is easy for an under-mount spare. Engine is very quiet. Exterior styling is attractive.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the major blind spots when changing lanes and turning. The cargo area is deceivingly small, due to the glass hatch sloping back. A box that fits the footprint of the cargo area, will not come close to fitting at the top unless the 2nd row seat is down. Horrible customer service! Read the reviews