2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Very Very Disappointed!
By Disappointed on 01/02/09 01:22 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

For the money I spent I expected better quality. Had the jeep 3 yrs and after 8 months I frequently took it in for work. Tranny, suspension, even the steering rack went at 40k. The interior plastic is extremely cheap feeling which I knew from the start but as time went on it scratched at the lightest touch. The gas mileage also sucks. If you plan on having kids forget it. This is a very large car yet a child seat can not safely seat in the back. We had to keep the kids in my wife's lil 4 door until they were out of car seats. Pathetic. Lastly do not buy if you do any offroading. It did horribly and things broke easily. I'm done with this car and am doing my best to rid it.

Misled
By Derek on 12/15/08 13:35 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

2006 WK not with 60,000 miles. Besides the hard seats poor MPG's and electrical gremlins. My door hinges on the front doors are failing and are hitting the front fenders. There are only 2 bolts that hold the hinges on and they has tons of slack. The cost to fix the problem either $400 for new hinges or $1,000 to have new ones installed and to have the doors rehung. Engineering and build quality is pitiful. I will be trading in this piece of junk ASAP for something foreign. BTW I am a jeep fan with an old wagoneer that is absolutely bulletproof.

Love it!
By coolbreezesd5555 on 12/14/08 12:50 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I've had my Grand Cherokee SRT-8 for about 2 years. It is so much fun! It is not a daily driver of course, with low gas mileage, but for trips to the mountains, or beach there is no better performance and utility value out there. The engine is just incredible and the sound of the exhaust is awesome. I've only had troubles with the electrical windows which were fixed. I don't think we'll see a vehicle like this, with 425HP, available in the auto world much longer, I'm glad I have mine.

not bad
By Katrina Woiten on 11/30/08 17:29 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this in July with 22k on it and loved it from the get go with only a few reservations, first:the dealership never did give me the 500 dollar gas card I was promised so that soured the experience somewhat. Also the radio went haywire after a few months and the passenger window has a mind of its own at times, the local dealer (not where I bought it) has been great with warranty work though. I would like to have them put the manual control for the 4wd back though as I prefer to decide when this is on. Handles well, drives like a car! Gas mileage is abysmal for a v6... I average 19 or so.

Fourth Grand Cherokee...and my last
By joe on 11/06/08 06:32 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 4th grand Cherokee and will definitely be my last although it is a big improvement over the 2000 I had before. I have the 65th Anniversary with the 3.7L V-6. It's a much more refined ride over the 2000 Laredo I had. 31,000 miles and the brakes have already had to be re-done 3 times, and the 30k mile service cost me about $900 after taxes...OUCH! Fuel mileage on the highway is 19- 20mpg and in the city is 14-15. My wife's Tahoe gets better and has better room and power. Had a transmission leak at 14k miles (fixed under warranty). Mine has been in the shop 7 times (brakes, transmission, electrical problems (the door locks wouldn't work) The dealer does a good job but is $$$$

Never AGAIN!
By Bethany on 10/23/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Jeep a few months ago and have had NOTHING but problems with it! I would be driving down the road and the jeep would just shut off. The next day it wouldn't speed up over 10 miles an hour. I have had it in the shop 3 times in 3 months! Chrysler keeps telling me they can't find anything wrong with it. Yeah,right they can't. I will NEVER buy another jeep again.

Not bad, Not bad at all.
By Justin Brown on 10/12/08 03:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 65th Anniversary Edition with the 4.7 Liter V8. I do a lot of highway driving an was instantly impressed with the Gas Mileage. I average 20, sometimes event 21/22 in a V8! (and i am a 23 yr old male, so believe me when i say i don't really baby it) The city gas mileage i average around 16/17, which is "ok". I mean it is a V8, cant expect a lot. I love the power the V8 offers, and the towing capabilities. The looks are sleek, and I always get compliments. I HATE the seat belt chime doesn't turn off. Overall I am really happy with the purchase, I have had it for about (2) months now and no real complaints so far.

Great!
By Mike on 09/04/08 22:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have been very very happy with my purchase so far. I do not drive all that much but it has been an excellent vehicle. I consistently get 20 mpg hwy and about 17 city. No mechanical problems to report as of yet. This is our 4th jeep and have been really happy.

UGH that is all I can say
By ConvertedJeephater on 08/10/08 16:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

WE purchased a "managers model" 2006 Jeep G Cherokee Laredo (manager's special, I.e. the loaner when the cars get fixed) Well number one, we were sworn to that the car wasn't smoked in, but sure enough when it was warm enough outside to open the windows, the window trim had cigarette burns in it (couldn't see them when it was closed) It then went in 3 times for check engine light but no one could tell me why. It rattles and almost stalls at stop lights.(told this was normal in this model) Car seats with latch can't be installed properly because of fixed head rests. AWFUL blind spots, and now the Air conditioner blower motor went...I have only owned Jeeps, I am on number 6 now, never again

Do not buy a Jeep
By Eric Schuster on 07/09/08 06:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this Jeep because my wife fell in love with it and we had a little one on the way. Guess what. I recently went to turn our baby seat front facing. It will not fit on right or left sides- has to be in the center. The headrests are NOT removable and at such an angle that they prevent the child seat from being installed at the right angle. Not to mention the gas mileage has been no better than 14.5 (mixed driving) and 15 hwy. Good news is that it does not seem to change if I am towing or not! I do not think cylinder deactivation works either. Also we have had so many wind leaks and noises. To sum it up- WHAT A MISTAKE! Poor engineering, high price and unsafe for my baby!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.