Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Love/Hate Relationship
By harrison7

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my Jeep about a year and a half ago. Before that had a 1998 grand. It was such a great car. Got over 300k miles on it before someone totaled it. But My 2006 Jeep is a good car. I love the look of the car, the hard lines and the awesome grille. Fun to drive, and the seats are so comfortable. But I do have mixed feelings about the jeep. I have all sorts of electrical problems. My dash lights flash constantly and my NAV stopped working. Dealer said it was the body control module that needs to be replaced. ($1,200)!!! Makes a grinding noise when I turn sharp in the parking lot. Have no idea what that is. And the thirsty hemi puts a dent in my wallet every time I fill up.

Engine is strong. Off road capabilities are unmatched. and the leather seats are very supportive and comfortable.

fix the hemi tick!!!! it bugs the crap out of me. I wish they would fix all the electrical issues. It is so annoying having my dash lights flash and gauges go haywire all the time. And I just have to say that All chrysler dealers are put on this earth to make your visit to the dealership more like a visit to hell.

4th jeep and what a fail
By bill379

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have owned three JGC prior to this one (95,96,02) and all had miles on them. This one we spent some money on and had only 80,000 KM on it when we got it.

This 2006 is junk. Engine ticks
(Hemi tick) quieter if you run synthetic oil but still there. 8 quarts to change it. Started making a noise at 90k from the back. Replaced both wheel bearings, nope, its in the differential. Quote 1500-3000. Drive shaft "u joint" failing. Non serviceable "ujoint" have to replace entire driveshaft another 1500. Engine runs sluggish unless you put super in it. All this on a five year old $55k vehicle with under 100KM on it.

Ive seen this movie before. Didnt fix any of the crap and traded it in on a honda

Smooth, powerful, good in snow

Oh boy. Engine needs refining to get rid of hemi tick. Build a proper driveline to handle the powerful engine. Stop making non serviceable parts (driveshaft ujoints) Take some pride in build quality. Lose all the plastic interior; 99-04 was far superior in this regard. Full time four wheel drive is a bad idea, bring back the selec-trac transfer case which was great. Address the depreciation issue somehow, unacceptable that a 54,000 vehicle is worth 10,000 in five years.

its a [non-permissible content removed] good jeep
By bajbaj

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

i have this jeep with now 120,000 miles on it withe 4.7 v8. its been very reliable so far just the regular maintenance. my only complain is the passenger side airbag sensor light is on for a long time now. i drive it like crazy everyday. im lead foot driver so i only average 13 miles a gallon doing 60%city and 40% highway. by lead foot i mean full throttle while accelerating if you want this vehicle to be reliable put castrol synthetic oil every 3000 miles or 3 months whatever comes first. jeep pulls great with a lot of low end torque. i will say i does got some minor electrical issues. dah!!! its a jeep it gonna always have some of those.

Tranny isvery smooth premium sound system was alright but upgraded to after market stereo and kenwood high performance speakers and upgraded the amp to kicker eight channel. it sounds even better now with plenty of bass equal to two small sub woofers.

4.7 v8 could use a little bit more power i say like 40 more hp and 60 more lbs of torque .or put a turbo 4 cyl diesel engine with 400-450lbs punds of torque and aroud 230-250 hp.

whats better then a jeep
By diablo1111d1

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

brought my jeep grand cherokee larado 2x4 used 1 year ago and i love.brought it as a 2nd car for the weekends to go to the beach,rivers and mountains.i live in dominican republic and the roads to the beaches and rivers are really rocky.wanted a suv with true off road capability and that could take a pounding with rough roads.thats what the jeep brand is made 4 and thats what it does.love the air suspension shocks.i 'v never had a problem yet with my jeep.i see alot of people writing bad comments but i don't understand why.every car or suv in time i guess needs some type of maintance.no car or suv is perfect.u eventually will have to replace parts.jeep takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

air suspension and smooth ride over all terrian.i have a 2x4 (not 4x4) but the suspension is the same.unless u plan to go mud trailing or water diving u don;t need 4x4.what i like is i don't have to really replace the transfer case.u should buy a jeep for what its made four.bad trails and rough roads.if u want luxury by a differnt type of suv.if u want a car feel suv to drive a nice roads by a differnt suv.if u need a suv primerally for rough roads and pot holes like nyc.then this jeep is 4 u.love the leather on my jeep also.it's very bland inside but i love the smooth and clean lines.plus the body dosen't differ much from the 2012 jeep.lights are a little more euro.gas milage is bad either.

non really.jeep is american so parts are inexpensive.if u do need to replace a part it won;t hit u over the head like a foriegn autimoblie.can find parts cheap on ebay.use to own a bmw x5,should i say more lol.all in all i love my jeep.iam sold.plan to be loyal customer.no more bmw 4 me.

Pains me to say it....
By kpn

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

As I write this my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is in the shop for the 8th time in the 2.5 years I've owned it. I'm a low mileage driver 13000 miles in 2.5 years, which comes out to a trip to the dealer every 1625 miles for service - 4 times for the exact same reoccuring issue - absurd! I love this car, the size, handling, handling in snow, features, the amount of options I got for the money, but the reliability, sadly is just not there. Prior to getting married I was a strictly Japanese car owner, but my husband was a Jeep die hard. After driving his 02 Cherokee for a Chicago winter I decided to bite the bullet and get one of my own. Sadly this car has proven Japanese is better.

Size, cargo space, interior - mine is loaded. Leather heated seating, adjustable pedals. Styling, the ability to drive right out of a snow filled city parking spot, post plow, with no trouble whatsoever. Radio controls on the steering wheel, handling is great.

Reliability. A 5 year old car with 57K on it should not be in the shop every 1625 miles. My first Toyota was a 1994 Corolla, it's 2011, and my little brother is still driving it - make a Jeep do that and you will have my love forever. These weirdo, Jeep-specific, mystery, electrical problems are exhausting, and when I look on Jeep forums and see how common my exact same issues are, well that is pathetic. This vehicle has a cult like following, and by all accounts should warrant it, but the reliability issues I have experienced sort of make me embarassed that this thing was made in America. In 16 years I had a Mitsubishi and Toyota, combined, the 2 did not rack up 8 trips to the mechanic. Sad