Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Love this Ride
By macdragonfl

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great handling, styling. Comfortable, quiet. Dependable. Best Grand Cherokee ever. Surpasses all American Midsize SUV's and many foreign

Trip computer, simple control layout, firm supportive seats, solid feel, aggressive styling.

MPG could be better

Jeep and my experience
By tom soucy

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

It performs well. Many great features. Ride is excellent and quality of vehicle is one of best I have seen. Went looking for Toyota Highlander or GMC Envoy. This was superior in ride and workmanship and better appointed for a very similar price.

Ride and interior desgn. Roominess and ease to get in and out. Wide and very comfy seats.

Add a feature as GM has like OnStar

expected more
By not pleased

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

When we first purchased I loved it. Now that my husband has bought a new larger truck, we have naoticed how loud the Jeep is. Also, the tires are poor quality and we have had our car in the shop twice in 1 month!!! First, we had a transmission leak and now the solanoaid in the transmission went out and the air conditioner went out at the same time. Mind you we only have 12,800 miles on the vehicle. If we had to do over again we would but looks like we are stuck with this vehicle for a few more years due to their resale value unless we get lucky and the vehicle is a lemon!!!

Not sure about this new Gr Cherokee
By nitlion

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 1995 Gr. Cherokee, drive it until it had 175K miles and absolutely loved it! I'm not sure about my 2006 model. First off, the design of the interior must have been an after thought. Gear shift and brake handle takes up so much room that there's not enough storage space for anything. I work as a field salesman and have stuff that I need to have available when travelling-no place to store anything. The ledges are all sloped towards the driver, so you can't use those. HVAC vents are poorly placed to be of any benefit. My transmission does things while driving that I can't understand. V6 Engine is powerful enough for normal driving, but if you are planning to tow, get the V8.

Engine power is nice, handles OK and I haven't had any problems in the snow- yet! Ride and handling is OK, but nowhere near a sports car. Interior is roomy enough for long trips.

Engine is sluggish after going downhill and driver tries to accelerate up hill-Jeep needs to fix this. Also, transmission "shifts" & "jumps" while driving down the road and without warning. Rework interior design so that HVAC vents actually serve a purpose. And layout cockpit like a Toyota!

Don't buy-transmission problems
By millert30523

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Good looking vehicle. Has many mechanical issues. Transmission is crap. Mine went out at 41000 and I had problems getting Chrysler to fix it. There is something horribly wrong when a vehicle has 41000 miles on it and the transmission fails. Don't buy. Cheaply built. I traded for a Honda.

The leather seats are nice.

Fix the transmission! Needs more engine power.