Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Nightmare Vehicle!
By Sam

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my vehicle (used) in November of 2007. It has only been 8 months and I have had it in the shop 4 times already! 1st with the radio and heater, 2nd with the transmission, 3rd time with the transmission AGAIN, and now it's the a/c and shocks. I WILL NEVER IN MY LIFE PURCHASE ANOTHER JEEP. I have had nothing but trouble. And the gas mileage is even worse. I only average 15.3 HWY! Now I'm stuck with this piece of garbage for 5 years!!!

Favorite Features

The only thing I like about this vehicle is the smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. bigger seat belts in the back seat. and just a more reliable vehicle would be nice.

Worst car I ever bought
By GLENNS

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been in the shop for shutting off while driving multiple times, rubbing noises when braking, windows not working properly, mirror has to be replaced, car still stutters periodically, manual locks had to be fixed. Until reprogrammed, car would stall when you hit a bump. Would NEVER buy another jeep. Horrible investment. Check resale value before purchasing.

Favorite Features

Handles real well in windy weather. Heavy enough to not sway too much.

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs updating. Seats not very comfortable.

Expected more
By euroman71

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Leased 06 Grand Cherokee with 3.7L V6 engine and auto transmission. First 30 days spent back at the dealer to fix these issues: Leakage through left A-pillar, turned out to be windshield seal; engine light on, fixed once, came on again 3 days later, fixed one more time; extremely unpleasant rattle on left side of IP, dealer tried to fix it twice, it got better, but once in a while you'd steal hear it. Gas mileage averaged 16 mpg mostly city driving. Positive features: loved during winter time, great on snow, much quieter interior, good driving dynamics, good power. Glad it was a lease, just turned it in and walked away from the dealer.

Favorite Features

Driving in snow, quiet ride. Good overall driving dynamics. Comfortable once you get adjusted to hard seats.

Suggested Improvements

MPG must be improved. Best I ever got over 2 year period was 21.5 mpg on hwy from Detroit to Chicago. Quality needs to improve. After 2 years seats exhibited slight movement on takeoff - not good. Not as roomy as some competition and smaller cross overs.

Fit and Finish
By Christopher

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

They are not breaking any stereotypes about American cars with this Jeep. I really wanted to buy American and it seemed at first that Jeep gave you so many more options for the money compared to other brands. But the number of items big and small to break down in the first months of ownership is remarkable. From the ignition to the door on the thing that holds you sun glasses, almost nothing is too sacred for a trip of two to the shop. At the shop these problems are so common I hardly get a surprised look. I read in their propaganda that they are taking a hard look at improving the fit and finish. That would be a good start. We do drive ours off-road, and it is a lot of fun.

Favorite Features

off-road ability, hemi acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Take a minute to double check the work and be sure all the bolts and screws are tight. I've never seen so many fundamental things fail in a car before.

Powerful, but for short people
By roadbeagle

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned several Jeep Cherokees and was displeased when the new body type came out. My two big complaints: the lousy gas mileage and the low headroom for driver and passenger. We have spent 18 months trying to move the seat and headrest every which way, but it is very difficult to get into the front seats without hitting your head on the top of the car or door frame. Otherwise, a great car with lots of power, lots of features and a pretty good price compared to the competition.

Favorite Features

cargo capacity

Suggested Improvements

higher roof, so you have more headroom.