2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews 12

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
New '06 Grand Cherokee
By Brent

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

'06 model needs a tighter fit and finish on interior materials and the V6 model needs more horsepower. I have found a few rattles that are hard to stop on the inside. Ride is nice, stereo system sounds great, and leather seats are durable over period of time unlike leathers in other brands. My V6 model gets excellent MPG for an SUV (19 - 20 mixed driving and 22 - 24 highway driving). Overall, nice mid-sized SUV.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, 6 disc CD changer, driver information center with MPG average & miles until empty, leather seats, heated seats, & easy use of controls.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter fit and finish on interior materials, more horsepower on V6 model, & better quality interior plastics.

I should have thought twice
By kenny

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Since the car is brand new of course there aren't any major problems yet, but I can tell there will be a lot. It seems like the components are cheaply made. For example: 1) Exterior rubber trim is all falling off 2) Car is loud for a brand new truck 3) AC is horrible, full blast and not cold 4) have to punch the steering wheel hard for the horn to work 5) Acceleration is horrible: it lags on and off and decides to accelerate when it feels like it. Sometimes there is no response when the gas pedal is pushed down. Overall the car just seems like it's doomed. Luckily I leased it for 3 years and then I'm out. I've had used cars run better. I'm going back to Japanese models, they're better.

Favorite Features

Exterior look, stereo sound,

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality of parts, need to make everything more durable. I would not recommend one of these.

Jeep Overland review
By Reed Mueller

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2002 Overland for the 2006 model. I have been very pleased. The performance and handling are far superior. The hemi has limitless power but sucks down the gas (10mpg in town and 17 on the highway). Off road ability is still exceptional. Rear trunk appears smaller than previous version but still works well for me. This Jeep is definitely wider that the previous version with less rocking side to side movement.

Favorite Features

Hemi power can't be beat. Handling is extraordinary and cab is very quiet. Interior looks awesome if you like the wood motif. 2006 is last year for inferno red pearl coat color. Get it while you can!

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not as comfortable as the previous body style. Also front window is very low, it can be hard to see stop lights.

Only Jeep
By teamcolvin

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 130k miles. I looked at Lexus SUV, Cadillac and 4 Runner. None of them compared to the Jeep. Rugged, as always, but very refined compared to older Jeeps. Variable displacement is crucial. A big improvement from my old Jeep. Extremely fun to drive. If you are worried about fuel economy, buy a car. If you are looking for a class ride with a whole lot of muscle, drive this beast!

Favorite Features

UConnect, Sirius, 17" tires, GPS, Boston sound system and the 5.7L Hemi!

Suggested Improvements

Touch screen GPS is a must add!

Love my Grand Cherokee
By Rhett

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

So far I love my Laredo. I do miss a few things in my old car (different make) but so far I love my Jeep. I've heard a few bad things about the GC but I'm crossing my fingers that nothing bad (tranny, etc.) will go bad.

Favorite Features

I love the stereo system (had a poor one in my old car!). I love that you can use either the liftgate or the tailgate to open the back to throw things in. I also love the way it drives. Very smooth. I also love the temp/compass feature. Never had that before on a car.

Suggested Improvements

So much plastic kinda bothers me (dash, on the doors, stuff like that) but that's a minor complaint.

let's play in the mud
By phillip bollinger

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love the vehicle, downsized from a '04 Denali XL with the 6.0 engine, so even with the hemi I love the gas mileage. Plus it's fun to dust all of these people in cars who have no clue that a suv can move like that. Great to drive, biggest and best surprise was how good the ride is. I really thought that moving down so much in wheelbase would make it ride much worse than the Denali, I can hardly tell a difference. Already had to pull a full size Ford out with it, the 4x4 system is amazing-especially to be able to pull that much weight (F-250 on grass) and be able to maintain traction was phenomenal, much better than the one I had in the Denali and it was good. Last thing-I love it!

Favorite Features

Hemi, 4x4, video system, navigation, seats (got to have the heated seats).

Suggested Improvements

Put the 415hp version of the hemi into the Overland and let us tow something with all that power.

So Far So Good
By Bob

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is a solid and very comfortable SUV. The interior is nice and is very quiet. It drives and handles very well too. The stereo is awesome. So far, it is one of the finest vehicles I have owned.

Favorite Features

Ride/Interior. Quietness. Stereo. Fun to drive.

Great Bang for the buck
By lavrn03

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

The JGCL with the 5.7 hemi is a great ride! Far better than years past with far better build quality. Huge amounts of power, great AWD system and tons of extras make this a great value. But only after the 0% 60 APR financing and huge discounts the dealers are giving. Stickered at $42k, selling for about $33-34k. The sticker its very expensive but $7k off the mark makes these a great ride! BTW you can get 20MPG with the hemi if you lock it on the highway at 65mph and are not climbing. Otherwise it's 10-17mpg, depending on the mix. I don't do a lot of highway and have seen it as low as 11.5 mpg for a whole tank.

Favorite Features

All the toys. Bluetooth, Nav, QDII tranny, Hemi, power everything.

Suggested Improvements

Not much headroom with sunroof. No rear seat leg room; really my Isuzu has more room.

2nd Jeep 05 and 06
By bill james

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 was a lemon. I was given a $5000 settlement from Jeep. The transmission kept blowing pumps and it had a vibration even after the recall on the torque converter, 3 converters and a transmission rebuild. I took the money and traded it in on a 06. So far the 06 does not have the problems the 05 had, but on the 05 it started with 16,000 miles. In the first 6,000 miles on this Jeep it has been fine. Jeep sales depreciates pretty quickly due to many of the incentives and a lot of Jeeps at the auctions that come off lease ruin the market. So if you’re buying a Jeep make sure you aren't in a hurry to sell, just run it into the ground.

Favorite Features

Overall its a nice driving vehicle. Nice radio.

Suggested Improvements

Sash is cheap and should be a better value for price.

Jeep Overland 5.7 Hemi
By TBarnett

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV is a real fun driving experience. Every time I get in the vehicle and turn the key to start the car, a big smile comes across my face. Daimler Chrysler really hit a home run with this vehicle teamed with the HEMI engine. I had two Explorers and an Expedition before this. I had looked seriously at the new Hummer H3. But, when I drove the H3 and this Jeep, the choice was easy to go with the Jeep. It performs awesome with the HEMI engine and handles very well.

Favorite Features

I love the HEMI 5.7 L V8 engine. Wow, what a kick to drive. Very responsive. I also have come to depend on the GPS navigation system and Sirius satellite radio.

Suggested Improvements

I have every option on this car and I honestly can't think of anything I would add or give up. However if the current gas prices are a concern, you probably shouldn't buy this vehicle with the HEMI engine.