2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
4th jeep and what a fail
By bill379 on 08/14/12 04:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have owned three JGC prior to this one (95,96,02) and all had miles on them. This one we spent some money on and had only 80,000 KM on it when we got it. This 2006 is junk. Engine ticks (Hemi tick) quieter if you run synthetic oil but still there. 8 quarts to change it. Started making a noise at 90k from the back. Replaced both wheel bearings, nope, its in the differential. Quote 1500-3000. Drive shaft "u joint" failing. Non serviceable "ujoint" have to replace entire driveshaft another 1500. Engine runs sluggish unless you put super in it. All this on a five year old $55k vehicle with under 100KM on it. Ive seen this movie before. Didnt fix any of the crap and traded it in on a honda

Fit and Finish
By Christopher on 05/25/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

They are not breaking any stereotypes about American cars with this Jeep. I really wanted to buy American and it seemed at first that Jeep gave you so many more options for the money compared to other brands. But the number of items big and small to break down in the first months of ownership is remarkable. From the ignition to the door on the thing that holds you sun glasses, almost nothing is too sacred for a trip of two to the shop. At the shop these problems are so common I hardly get a surprised look. I read in their propaganda that they are taking a hard look at improving the fit and finish. That would be a good start. We do drive ours off-road, and it is a lot of fun.

Lovin' My Overland Thus Far
By Overlandlover on 02/13/07 11:08 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this Overland when it had 49 mi. and 3,000+ later, still lovin' it. I've had no problems with my Jeep. I've been getting 14+ mpg city/16+ mpg highway on my HEMI, better than my previous 04' Jeep G.C. with I6 engine. Simply an overall great luxury model, which is affordable to maintain.

Cover Up Your Condenser or Pony Up $700
By Matt W. on 09/12/06 07:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third Jeep. I love the Hemi (dislike the poor gas mileage), the updated styling and the ride. However, beware. My wife was driving our Overland on a highway (not off road), couldn't avoid a blown tire (re-tread) laying in the roadway. Unbelievably, a piece of the re-tread flipped up into the unprotected AC condenser area (that huge, open area just under your front bumper) and barely punctured the condenser. The outcome? A $700 repair bill and me jerry-rigging (with gardening wire I bought at Lowe's) a protection screen for this exposed area. INCREDIBLY POOR design for an alleged "rough/tough" $40,000 off-road SUV. Unbelievable - a warning to all to "cover up your condenser"

Oh What Fun
By Southernfan on 04/25/06 01:01 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Use my 4WD 5.7 Cherokee local, interstate and in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. Performs flawlessly on and off road. Like the size inside and out-for two adults plus cargo. Will pull anything up the highest passes. In deep snow, ice and off-road it is rock solid, safe and reliable. The Cherokee is what other SUV's want to be. In fact, it is in a category unto itself.

still a few bugs
By Dez on 02/27/06 14:19 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Jeep. Traded in a 1999 GC limited in Nov 05. Have also driven long term/owned a Lexus 330 (wife's car), 2005 Durango (long term rental), an X5 4.4 , and 2002 Land Rover. Out of this group my $42K+ Jeep is the least refined and has the poorest build quality. Loose door handles and passenger door, wipers that turn on whenever, clunky drivetrain, tweeter shorted from factory, rough shifts. Other than these items the truck is unique in that it corners well, blows the doors off almost anything in its path and is impressively plush. Overall would not buy it again given the price tag and the quality issues. Service has been of very low caliber; nowhere near Lexus or BMW.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.