Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Don't buy-transmission problems
By millert30523

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Good looking vehicle. Has many mechanical issues. Transmission is crap. Mine went out at 41000 and I had problems getting Chrysler to fix it. There is something horribly wrong when a vehicle has 41000 miles on it and the transmission fails. Don't buy. Cheaply built. I traded for a Honda.

The leather seats are nice.

Fix the transmission! Needs more engine power.

2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
By Ken

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Grand Cherokee. The first being a 1995 with V8 engine. This 2006 model has the 4.7 V8 and is terrible on gas in city driving ( 12- 13 MPG). On the highway it doesn't do better than 19 and averages around 18MPG. I did better with the old 318 in the 95 model. You would think after 10 years and less engine displacement Jeep could improve their mileage ratings. With only 8,000 miles on it I am beginning to see the telltale signs of future issues...like the outside temp gage display isn't working properly and the engine has a ticking sound like old lifters or someting. If I have the same issues with this Jeep that I had with the old one it's good by Chrysler and never again.

I like the ride and handling

More room in the back seats, less plastic, better fuel economy

Good looks...bad ride
By Brian Rhodes

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Really like the looks of the Jeep, but BIG disappointment with the ride. Not very smooth and seems to "wobble & shimmy" on the road...worse when you are on open highway and very windy. Wish I had had a better test drive, would have thought twice about buying. Looking to trade now!

Interior design is good and controls placed in easy reach.

Give it a better ride or suspension or whatever it takes to smooth it out!

LOVE MY JEEP
By MMKMWARD

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Jeep I purchased was with the Limited 5.7L V8 HEMI option. I love the vehicle, this is the 2nd Jeep I have owned. I owned a 1995 Jeep Laredo which I traded in after 9 years, and now am in love with the Jeep Limited. It is a lot of fun to drive, there is a lot of power in this vehicle and the interior is very comfortable and the options are outstanding. I definitely recommend the Jeep SUV and will probably not own any other brand of SUV. I'll be on #3 in another 9 years (or less) hopefully. Jeep makes an awesome vehicle, my husband is on his 2nd Jeep also.

Great so far
By froggy13

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After driving the 1997 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L 6cyl. for several years the 2006 does not disappoint. The 4.7 has plenty of power and is smooth as silk in either light to light driving or at highway speeds. The only down side is that it is a bit harder to see out of than the 97 but large side view mirrors help. Also the adjustable pedals are great for keeping the shorter people in your life well back from the airbags which is a huge piece of mind for me.

My favorite feature is the adjustable pedals as it keeps my wife (5’3”) well away from the air bag. While driving other vehicles she would have to adjust the seat so far forward that she would be so close to the wheel that if the air bag did deploy…well it wouldn’t have been good for her at all.

I would design the body so the cab would be a bit easier to see out of and I would either reposition or totally remove the parking break handle. The brake handle is not really in the way however it does have a very cheap feel to it and is very big and bulky.