Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Don't buy Chrysler products
By sleeper123

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The car started off fine but is now troubled with electrical problems. The car constantly gives a transmission over temp alarm even after start up. The ESM is messing up causing erratic shifting. Ever since the n23 recall I have a service 4wd system alarm that will show every start up and not let me engage 4 low. To replace the ESM its going to cost over $700 and is such a common problem it should be recalled. This is my last Chrysler product I will ever buy.

Suggested Improvements

Use quality parts when making a vehicle.

Rather pleased to date
By kingofkings288

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

After the hurricane, I needed a ride, and fast, before the post-Sandy lemons flooded the market. I picked up this '06 Laredo with 58,000 mi, very clean except for a strange divot where the driver's right heel would rest. It starts every time I turn the key, and since the passenger window was serviced, every button and light works as advertised. It handles surprisingly well for a truck, and feels confident in the snow and rain. It doesn't accelerate much below 3,000 rpm, but after that it can take off. Maybe it's my driving profile, but the mileage is terrible. We'll see what summer brings, but the A/C should blow a tad colder, but that's a very minor complaint. On balance I'm pretty happy.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling, front-seat comfort, heater, heated leather seats, sunroof, two trip meters, handling

Suggested Improvements

More rear seat and cargo space, trailer hitch, better mileage, way to switch 4WD off to 2WD

109,000 miles
By jeepmode

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My fourth jeep, The check engine light kept coming on. After years of dealing with this nussiance, turns out it was a leaky grommet where electrical wires passed through into the tranny. After the tranny was serviced and topped off, even more fluid would pour out. It was an easy fix for the local dealer after I brought it back in. The check enginge light has behaved itself since then. Now I am going to address the lifter noises that have me worried. I will be upgrading the shocks and rotors next time I tear into the brakes. K&N stock replacement filter added about 1-2 mpg (19 highway). I enjoy driving this jeep, It handles good in all conditions. I wish I had heated mirrors, and seats std.

Favorite Features

Handles nice, good power for a 6 cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

I know this is a Laredo with mimimal options, but the brakes are pretty soft. The rotors are not up to the job with warping and fading. Fog lights and heated mirrors and seats should be standard too. I also think the upholstery stains to easily. The e-brake handle pops loose sometimes when I set it. That disturbs me. I don't think it was a good idea to seal the transmission dipstick. A lot of good trannys were destroyed because of this. I wish there were a 24 gallon fuel tank. It would make this vehicle alot nicer for road trips.

Love/Hate Relationship
By harrison7

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my Jeep about a year and a half ago. Before that had a 1998 grand. It was such a great car. Got over 300k miles on it before someone totaled it. But My 2006 Jeep is a good car. I love the look of the car, the hard lines and the awesome grille. Fun to drive, and the seats are so comfortable. But I do have mixed feelings about the jeep. I have all sorts of electrical problems. My dash lights flash constantly and my NAV stopped working. Dealer said it was the body control module that needs to be replaced. ($1,200)!!! Makes a grinding noise when I turn sharp in the parking lot. Have no idea what that is. And the thirsty hemi puts a dent in my wallet every time I fill up.

Favorite Features

Engine is strong. Off road capabilities are unmatched. and the leather seats are very supportive and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

fix the hemi tick!!!! it bugs the crap out of me. I wish they would fix all the electrical issues. It is so annoying having my dash lights flash and gauges go haywire all the time. And I just have to say that All chrysler dealers are put on this earth to make your visit to the dealership more like a visit to hell.

4th jeep and what a fail
By bill379

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have owned three JGC prior to this one (95,96,02) and all had miles on them. This one we spent some money on and had only 80,000 KM on it when we got it. This 2006 is junk. Engine ticks (Hemi tick) quieter if you run synthetic oil but still there. 8 quarts to change it. Started making a noise at 90k from the back. Replaced both wheel bearings, nope, its in the differential. Quote 1500-3000. Drive shaft "u joint" failing. Non serviceable "ujoint" have to replace entire driveshaft another 1500. Engine runs sluggish unless you put super in it. All this on a five year old $55k vehicle with under 100KM on it. Ive seen this movie before. Didnt fix any of the crap and traded it in on a honda

Favorite Features

Smooth, powerful, good in snow

Suggested Improvements

Oh boy. Engine needs refining to get rid of hemi tick. Build a proper driveline to handle the powerful engine. Stop making non serviceable parts (driveshaft ujoints) Take some pride in build quality. Lose all the plastic interior; 99-04 was far superior in this regard. Full time four wheel drive is a bad idea, bring back the selec-trac transfer case which was great. Address the depreciation issue somehow, unacceptable that a 54,000 vehicle is worth 10,000 in five years.