Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Love/Hate Relationship
By harrison7

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my Jeep about a year and a half ago. Before that had a 1998 grand. It was such a great car. Got over 300k miles on it before someone totaled it. But My 2006 Jeep is a good car. I love the look of the car, the hard lines and the awesome grille. Fun to drive, and the seats are so comfortable. But I do have mixed feelings about the jeep. I have all sorts of electrical problems. My dash lights flash constantly and my NAV stopped working. Dealer said it was the body control module that needs to be replaced. ($1,200)!!! Makes a grinding noise when I turn sharp in the parking lot. Have no idea what that is. And the thirsty hemi puts a dent in my wallet every time I fill up.

Favorite Features

Engine is strong. Off road capabilities are unmatched. and the leather seats are very supportive and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

fix the hemi tick!!!! it bugs the crap out of me. I wish they would fix all the electrical issues. It is so annoying having my dash lights flash and gauges go haywire all the time. And I just have to say that All chrysler dealers are put on this earth to make your visit to the dealership more like a visit to hell.

Great car so far
By DINLONG

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

My 06 HEMI now has just over 90k on it. Has had no real issues. My only complaint about the car would be the awful Goodyear tires Jeep decided to use. I recently swapped them out for Firestone Destination AT's - what a difference! I also installed Bilstein shocks and SRT front and rear sway bars. This Jeep will go through anything now, and is very controlled and comfortable doing it. People complain about gas mileage on the HEMIs - are you kidding me? Coming from a F150 with the 5.4 I am completely happy. The Jeep weighs about the same, has way more power, and is way more fun to drive, yet I get about 5 more MPG - what is there to complain about?

Favorite Features

HEMI, power everything, fantastic AWD system, capable of handling anything I can throw at it.

Suggested Improvements

upgrade the OEM tires to something respectable - Wrangler SR-A's are a joke. Would like to see an option to overide the dual zone climate control.

I Love it, but...
By Sean

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Many publications rated Acura MDX and Nissan Pathfinder better than the '06 JGC. We preferred the ride of the JGC but bought an MDX. Two years later, we traded the MDX in for the JGC Overland in order to pull a 26' trailer/RV. The JGC had a noticeably smaller cargo area in the hatch and a tad smaller backseat, but that aside absolutely LOVE driving our JGC... BUT, there have been problems. In 2008 our powersteering pump went (under warranty), in 2009 our starter went (not covered), and both the hood and the hatch hydraulics are shot. Chrysler has a reputation of being the poorest North American manufacturer and this is apparent as these issues shouldn't happen in a newer vehicle.

Favorite Features

The drive of the vehicle, acceleration, handling, front seat interior.

Suggested Improvements

Controls for the ceiling mount DVD in the front seat area would be great. It's a problem trying to get movies going for the kids from the front seat. Overall better quality of parts!!!! Aside from my power steering and starter issues,I love the Jeep but will likely not buy another Chrysler product

By nipper

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle, yes the gas mileage is not great but you are driving a real vehicle that runs on regular. Its not a bmw but then again as a half truck, suv and luxury car it is not a bad mix. Today I haul firewood, next the family. No problem

Favorite Features

heated moveable seats, satellite radio, drive almost anything

Suggested Improvements

ipod interface,

Do not buy a Jeep
By Eric Schuster

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this Jeep because my wife fell in love with it and we had a little one on the way. Guess what. I recently went to turn our baby seat front facing. It will not fit on right or left sides- has to be in the center. The headrests are NOT removable and at such an angle that they prevent the child seat from being installed at the right angle. Not to mention the gas mileage has been no better than 14.5 (mixed driving) and 15 hwy. Good news is that it does not seem to change if I am towing or not! I do not think cylinder deactivation works either. Also we have had so many wind leaks and noises. To sum it up- WHAT A MISTAKE! Poor engineering, high price and unsafe for my baby!

Favorite Features

Power- at least it moves!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the rear seat for babies! Fix the gas mileage - in this day and age it is costing way to much for a daily driver!