2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Love/Hate Relationship
By harrison7 on 09/13/12 09:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my Jeep about a year and a half ago. Before that had a 1998 grand. It was such a great car. Got over 300k miles on it before someone totaled it. But My 2006 Jeep is a good car. I love the look of the car, the hard lines and the awesome grille. Fun to drive, and the seats are so comfortable. But I do have mixed feelings about the jeep. I have all sorts of electrical problems. My dash lights flash constantly and my NAV stopped working. Dealer said it was the body control module that needs to be replaced. ($1,200)!!! Makes a grinding noise when I turn sharp in the parking lot. Have no idea what that is. And the thirsty hemi puts a dent in my wallet every time I fill up.

Great car so far
By DINLONG on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

My 06 HEMI now has just over 90k on it. Has had no real issues. My only complaint about the car would be the awful Goodyear tires Jeep decided to use. I recently swapped them out for Firestone Destination AT's - what a difference! I also installed Bilstein shocks and SRT front and rear sway bars. This Jeep will go through anything now, and is very controlled and comfortable doing it. People complain about gas mileage on the HEMIs - are you kidding me? Coming from a F150 with the 5.4 I am completely happy. The Jeep weighs about the same, has way more power, and is way more fun to drive, yet I get about 5 more MPG - what is there to complain about?

I Love it, but...
By Sean on 02/18/10 09:17 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Many publications rated Acura MDX and Nissan Pathfinder better than the '06 JGC. We preferred the ride of the JGC but bought an MDX. Two years later, we traded the MDX in for the JGC Overland in order to pull a 26' trailer/RV. The JGC had a noticeably smaller cargo area in the hatch and a tad smaller backseat, but that aside absolutely LOVE driving our JGC... BUT, there have been problems. In 2008 our powersteering pump went (under warranty), in 2009 our starter went (not covered), and both the hood and the hatch hydraulics are shot. Chrysler has a reputation of being the poorest North American manufacturer and this is apparent as these issues shouldn't happen in a newer vehicle.

By nipper on 12/13/09 17:55 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle, yes the gas mileage is not great but you are driving a real vehicle that runs on regular. Its not a bmw but then again as a half truck, suv and luxury car it is not a bad mix. Today I haul firewood, next the family. No problem

Do not buy a Jeep
By Eric Schuster on 07/09/08 06:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this Jeep because my wife fell in love with it and we had a little one on the way. Guess what. I recently went to turn our baby seat front facing. It will not fit on right or left sides- has to be in the center. The headrests are NOT removable and at such an angle that they prevent the child seat from being installed at the right angle. Not to mention the gas mileage has been no better than 14.5 (mixed driving) and 15 hwy. Good news is that it does not seem to change if I am towing or not! I do not think cylinder deactivation works either. Also we have had so many wind leaks and noises. To sum it up- WHAT A MISTAKE! Poor engineering, high price and unsafe for my baby!

Over The Top Overland
By Todd Seif on 10/24/06 12:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Owned my new Overland Hemi now for almost 3 months and what a fine ride! Love that Hemi muscle and big brakes! This SUV has all the toys and a bargain price. Great handling and so quiet. I drove the BMW , M-B, Lexus and VW Suvs and this is as good as all but the Touareg at $20k less!! Now if only my Jeep dealer had been to Lexus customer service school.

Well Worth it!
By kolis1 on 10/08/06 07:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Recently leased the 5.7L Hemi with great hesitation - THE GAS! Come to think of it, the difference between this SUV and every other on is 2-4mile/g. As far as comparison, i drove the Xterra, RX350, and the XC90. Hands down this car has more power, smoother ride, quiet inside, lots of gadgets to play with, but hidden if you're not into it. With all the bad rep that American auto customer service has got, I've had a Liberty for 3 years, and they've taken care of me well.

06 Overland - Great Driving Experience
By 06Overland on 09/28/06 08:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 06 Overland about two weeks ago; let me first say that this is by far the most well-appointed and powerful vehicle I have ever owned. Coming from a 99 Wrangler, you can imagine the culture shock. The HEMI is as powerful as I had imagined, albeit not as responsive. It definitely has a good half second of lag before the 330 horses kick in. The interior is gorgeous and feels much more like a Mercedes than a Jeep. And the host of gadgets like Uconnect, navigation and rain sensing wipers impress everyone. The rear seat is not very roomy, and when the front seats are all the way back, you are lucky to be able to put a laptop on the floor back there. That aside, awesome SUV

Tall Folks Beware
By San Antonio Guy on 07/26/06 19:04 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland edition with the 5.7L Hemi. From the exterior, the vehicle is beautiful! Inside, the seats are well designed with an authentic Jeep style. The engine purrs and delivers a seemingly endless supply of power. I was very excited by the thought of having such a rugged SUV with so much power AND navigation. Now for the bad news. If you are over six feet tall, DO NOT buy this or any Jeep Grand Cherokee. With the seat all the way down on the driver's side, I can still feel my hair scraping the ceiling. Forget wearing a hat! It is impossible for me to ride as a passenger - no room. Lucky for me, my wife is a foot shorter. I now pine for the MDX!

Love the car if not in shop
By Corey on 07/21/06 16:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love the performance of this car and it drives great but it has a lot of mechanical problems. I have had the car in the shop 7 times in the first year and a half. I have had two sets of driveshafts go bad. The air bag light keeps going on and the service brake light does the same thing; lots of rattles and it has never been off road.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.