2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
FUN!!
By 1fastsuv on 01/30/14 12:30 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I ordered my 2006 SRT8 brand new in 06. It took 3 months to get but it was well worth the wait. I now have over 100,000 miles on it and have never had to do anything but change the oil. (and tires) Last month I put a carbon fiber hood on it, and right now it's at a performance shop having a turbo installed. It's not great on gas but I didn't buy it expecting it to be economical.

Rather pleased to date
By kingofkings288 on 05/29/13 14:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

After the hurricane, I needed a ride, and fast, before the post-Sandy lemons flooded the market. I picked up this '06 Laredo with 58,000 mi, very clean except for a strange divot where the driver's right heel would rest. It starts every time I turn the key, and since the passenger window was serviced, every button and light works as advertised. It handles surprisingly well for a truck, and feels confident in the snow and rain. It doesn't accelerate much below 3,000 rpm, but after that it can take off. Maybe it's my driving profile, but the mileage is terrible. We'll see what summer brings, but the A/C should blow a tad colder, but that's a very minor complaint. On balance I'm pretty happy.

109,000 miles
By jeepmode on 02/22/13 03:32 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My fourth jeep, The check engine light kept coming on. After years of dealing with this nussiance, turns out it was a leaky grommet where electrical wires passed through into the tranny. After the tranny was serviced and topped off, even more fluid would pour out. It was an easy fix for the local dealer after I brought it back in. The check enginge light has behaved itself since then. Now I am going to address the lifter noises that have me worried. I will be upgrading the shocks and rotors next time I tear into the brakes. K&N stock replacement filter added about 1-2 mpg (19 highway). I enjoy driving this jeep, It handles good in all conditions. I wish I had heated mirrors, and seats std.

Spectacular!
By ultgarage on 11/01/12 20:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I have been wanting a Jeep SRT8 since they were first produced and I recently bought a 2006 with 79,000 miles. It takes my breath away whenever I punch the throttle. It looks great, ir very comfortable, can outhandle most of the so-called sports cars on the road, and has plenty of great features: nav, in-dash CD changer, rear DVD player, soft leather seat trim, and power everything. If I don't lean on it too much I can get 18-19 MPG but the temptation is too great most of the time. It can smoke almost anything else out there from a dead stop. Shift the transmission down to low gear on a slow roll and floor the throttle and try and tell me it's not the wildest ride ever wrapped in an SUV body

Love/Hate Relationship
By harrison7 on 09/13/12 09:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my Jeep about a year and a half ago. Before that had a 1998 grand. It was such a great car. Got over 300k miles on it before someone totaled it. But My 2006 Jeep is a good car. I love the look of the car, the hard lines and the awesome grille. Fun to drive, and the seats are so comfortable. But I do have mixed feelings about the jeep. I have all sorts of electrical problems. My dash lights flash constantly and my NAV stopped working. Dealer said it was the body control module that needs to be replaced. ($1,200)!!! Makes a grinding noise when I turn sharp in the parking lot. Have no idea what that is. And the thirsty hemi puts a dent in my wallet every time I fill up.

4th jeep and what a fail
By bill379 on 08/14/12 04:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have owned three JGC prior to this one (95,96,02) and all had miles on them. This one we spent some money on and had only 80,000 KM on it when we got it. This 2006 is junk. Engine ticks (Hemi tick) quieter if you run synthetic oil but still there. 8 quarts to change it. Started making a noise at 90k from the back. Replaced both wheel bearings, nope, its in the differential. Quote 1500-3000. Drive shaft "u joint" failing. Non serviceable "ujoint" have to replace entire driveshaft another 1500. Engine runs sluggish unless you put super in it. All this on a five year old $55k vehicle with under 100KM on it. Ive seen this movie before. Didnt fix any of the crap and traded it in on a honda

its a [non-permissible content removed] good jeep
By bajbaj on 04/06/12 12:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

i have this jeep with now 120,000 miles on it withe 4.7 v8. its been very reliable so far just the regular maintenance. my only complain is the passenger side airbag sensor light is on for a long time now. i drive it like crazy everyday. im lead foot driver so i only average 13 miles a gallon doing 60%city and 40% highway. by lead foot i mean full throttle while accelerating if you want this vehicle to be reliable put castrol synthetic oil every 3000 miles or 3 months whatever comes first. jeep pulls great with a lot of low end torque. i will say i does got some minor electrical issues. dah!!! its a jeep it gonna always have some of those.

whats better then a jeep
By diablo1111d1 on 12/03/11 10:51 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

brought my jeep grand cherokee larado 2x4 used 1 year ago and i love.brought it as a 2nd car for the weekends to go to the beach,rivers and mountains.i live in dominican republic and the roads to the beaches and rivers are really rocky.wanted a suv with true off road capability and that could take a pounding with rough roads.thats what the jeep brand is made 4 and thats what it does.love the air suspension shocks.i 'v never had a problem yet with my jeep.i see alot of people writing bad comments but i don't understand why.every car or suv in time i guess needs some type of maintance.no car or suv is perfect.u eventually will have to replace parts.jeep takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Pains me to say it....
By kpn on 11/29/11 13:06 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

As I write this my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is in the shop for the 8th time in the 2.5 years I've owned it. I'm a low mileage driver 13000 miles in 2.5 years, which comes out to a trip to the dealer every 1625 miles for service - 4 times for the exact same reoccuring issue - absurd! I love this car, the size, handling, handling in snow, features, the amount of options I got for the money, but the reliability, sadly is just not there. Prior to getting married I was a strictly Japanese car owner, but my husband was a Jeep die hard. After driving his 02 Cherokee for a Chicago winter I decided to bite the bullet and get one of my own. Sadly this car has proven Japanese is better.

Will never own another Jeep!
By mandalay_415 on 07/07/11 09:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this vehicle since February of 2007 and it has been just an averagely okay vehicle. It started having non-stop problems that most mechanics couldn't diagnose. The worst was when it would shudder/shake, lurch like it was shifting from overdrive to 2nd and just shut off while driving. Not safe! It took 4 visits to 2 different mechanics to finally figure out the problem and only after I told them to humor me and check something that I had found after hours of researching the symptoms online. Lights randomly come on and then go off without registering any codes. I have driven this across the country and never got more than 18mpg. I will never own another Jeep/Chrysler ever again!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.