Used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Don't buy Chrysler products
By sleeper123

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The car started off fine but is now troubled with electrical problems. The car constantly gives a transmission over temp alarm even after start up. The ESM is messing up causing erratic shifting. Ever since the n23 recall I have a service 4wd system alarm that will show every start up and not let me engage 4 low. To replace the ESM its going to cost over $700 and is such a common problem it should be recalled. This is my last Chrysler product I will ever buy.

Suggested Improvements

Use quality parts when making a vehicle.

FUN!!
By 1fastsuv

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I ordered my 2006 SRT8 brand new in 06. It took 3 months to get but it was well worth the wait. I now have over 100,000 miles on it and have never had to do anything but change the oil. (and tires) Last month I put a carbon fiber hood on it, and right now it's at a performance shop having a turbo installed. It's not great on gas but I didn't buy it expecting it to be economical.

Favorite Features

Power, power, power. I love the fact that most people don't know what it is, and people at the track have no clue how it can perform. It surprises all the little Camaro/Mustang boys and their toys.

Rather pleased to date
By kingofkings288

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

After the hurricane, I needed a ride, and fast, before the post-Sandy lemons flooded the market. I picked up this '06 Laredo with 58,000 mi, very clean except for a strange divot where the driver's right heel would rest. It starts every time I turn the key, and since the passenger window was serviced, every button and light works as advertised. It handles surprisingly well for a truck, and feels confident in the snow and rain. It doesn't accelerate much below 3,000 rpm, but after that it can take off. Maybe it's my driving profile, but the mileage is terrible. We'll see what summer brings, but the A/C should blow a tad colder, but that's a very minor complaint. On balance I'm pretty happy.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling, front-seat comfort, heater, heated leather seats, sunroof, two trip meters, handling

Suggested Improvements

More rear seat and cargo space, trailer hitch, better mileage, way to switch 4WD off to 2WD

109,000 miles
By jeepmode

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My fourth jeep, The check engine light kept coming on. After years of dealing with this nussiance, turns out it was a leaky grommet where electrical wires passed through into the tranny. After the tranny was serviced and topped off, even more fluid would pour out. It was an easy fix for the local dealer after I brought it back in. The check enginge light has behaved itself since then. Now I am going to address the lifter noises that have me worried. I will be upgrading the shocks and rotors next time I tear into the brakes. K&N stock replacement filter added about 1-2 mpg (19 highway). I enjoy driving this jeep, It handles good in all conditions. I wish I had heated mirrors, and seats std.

Favorite Features

Handles nice, good power for a 6 cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

I know this is a Laredo with mimimal options, but the brakes are pretty soft. The rotors are not up to the job with warping and fading. Fog lights and heated mirrors and seats should be standard too. I also think the upholstery stains to easily. The e-brake handle pops loose sometimes when I set it. That disturbs me. I don't think it was a good idea to seal the transmission dipstick. A lot of good trannys were destroyed because of this. I wish there were a 24 gallon fuel tank. It would make this vehicle alot nicer for road trips.

Spectacular!
By ultgarage

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4dr SUV 4WD (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I have been wanting a Jeep SRT8 since they were first produced and I recently bought a 2006 with 79,000 miles. It takes my breath away whenever I punch the throttle. It looks great, ir very comfortable, can outhandle most of the so-called sports cars on the road, and has plenty of great features: nav, in-dash CD changer, rear DVD player, soft leather seat trim, and power everything. If I don't lean on it too much I can get 18-19 MPG but the temptation is too great most of the time. It can smoke almost anything else out there from a dead stop. Shift the transmission down to low gear on a slow roll and floor the throttle and try and tell me it's not the wildest ride ever wrapped in an SUV body

Favorite Features

Style, performance, features, unique character

Suggested Improvements

None