2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Not Again

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Laredo 4dr SUV (3.7L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Not Again
By nojeep on

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Sorry to say I wouldn't buy again, imput shaft broke off transmission at 36K. cover by warranty. Had to replace electronic shifter module 4 times which they covered under 7\70000 now it needs a 5th. one and they won't cover it for some reason and it only has 61k and will cost almost $1000.00 and this is a safety problem try pulling into traffic and your jeep stops. p0700 code replaced water pump at 56K. Mopar just lost a 40 year fan because of this. To bad because believe or not I really liked my jeep. If you want to spend $1000.00 ever 12k-14k for a shifter module go ahead and buy one.

electronic shifter module
By happypillow
on 03/14/12 15:44 PM (PDT)

NoJeep, I had the same problem with my 2005 JGC Laredo. I took it to the delearship and they didnt even put the computer on it, they said that i porb had water in my fuel tank, really? ok, so i figured it was prob the Shell I stopped at those 2 times...i went back to only Chevron Fuel and guess what? it stopped on me while making a left had turn, next thing i know there is a huge truck approaching my way fast...lucky i was able to coast it to safety. i was pissed. so i went online to ask.com and was able to get some great advise. This entire time it was my crank sensor!!!! Give it a shot. My front drive shaft went out at 60K+ but it was still under warranty. thank god! but of coarse they didnt replace the bushings so i hope those dont go out eventually, its a cheap replacement if they do. other than those 2 things my Jeep runs awesome and I off road it a lot.

By jbr_jeep_1966
on 11/25/11 03:37 AM (PST)

My 2005 Cherokee received it's 2nd transmission module beofreit was 3 years old. I think it might need another one, but no light yet. The engine light came on last month. I bought a computer that suggested it was emissions related. I reset the light and it hasn't come back. Lost the water pump during the same week at 57K. This is my 3rd Jeep...83 Renegade and 93 Cherokee Laredo. The Laredo was incredibly reliable. This Cherokee has not given that sense of driving security Jeep advertises. After owning Jeeps since 1989...not sure I will buy another one quite yet. That says alot...