2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Never Again
By CherokeeNoMore on 02/19/09 09:19 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was so happy when I first purchased my Cherokee. Brand new off the lot, it was shortly after I started having problems. Tranny, rack & pinion, etc... The dealer, no matter which one I took it to was so bad I had to start taking it to a paid mechanic who himself states he sees too many of these in the shop. After I had my baby I had a terrible time with his car seat and the back. I was so disappointed as this is supposed to be a family car. NO! I don't even feel safe with him in the car now... its having back electrical problems causing interior lights to flash, no starts and weird smells. I am DONE WITH THIS THING! I have lost nearly double what this originally cost and won't get it back.

Stay clear
By pittsburgh driver on 02/18/09 21:09 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I unloaded my 05 limited, it had all the options and was my dream vehicle. I bought it at one year old to save a few bucks. I'm sorry i ever traded my 2000 Cherokee for it. In the two years I owned it it leaked from the sunroof badly, blew a rear seal and had to replace the rear. Had two computer modules go. If your having weird things go on it is usually one of the modules. Everything was replaced under warranty and seemingly fixed but the luster had worn off because of the poor quality and I sold it as soon as the warranty expired. If i had to pay for the repairs myself it would have cost over $3,000. Jeep and Chrysler is off my list to buy for good. Only had 37,000 miles, what a shame.

Mopar Junky
By GWiz on 02/16/09 14:01 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Trail Rated 4.7 V8 w/trailer tow package best bet. In 45 years of driving (almost all 4x4/awd) my JGC Laredo is one of the best highway cruisers I've ever owned. I live in Winnipeg, MB, Canada and I've never understood why everyone doesn't own a 4x4/awd vehicle. It pulls my boat (1500 lbs) and I don't even know it's attached. My son from Calgary is buying the Jeep from me because after looking for a newer vehicle, both in Calgary and Winnipeg, my Jeep came up "best" as a vehicle for the next 2-3 years as the auto industry goes thru some major changes. Now I have to do the looking for a replacement and the Jeep GC is the only NA vehicle I'd consider. Ext. warranty hasn't been needed yet.

Solid Car Overall....
By beefkake on 02/01/09 14:41 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought an 05 Lauredo 4x4. 110 miles currenlty. No issues but I actually did the maintence....my local mechanic told me you gotta change the transaxle fluid on jeeps or it will burn up. Keep up on that and your oil changes. Got 70k out of 1st set of brakes, 100k out of two original tires. Replaced the tires with General Grabber HTS, much quieter now at speed but lost 1mpg highway. Good tradeoff as far as I am concerned. Be forwarned, everything you do to this car is expensive. Brakes were 1k, tires 800.00, oil $50, Transaxle flush $200.00 Do the maintence though or just save yourself the trouble and buy a Toyota. Overall a very good car my my standards though!

reliability
By ed wess on 01/22/09 15:26 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

3 and half years old with 150,000 miles replaced starter, tires, brakes and tune up nothing more. Msrp 32,000 bought for 26,500 plus parts total cost 27,500 can't beat it.

Transmission Issues
By Candice on 01/15/09 09:34 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Since I have bought the Jeep the check engine light kept coming on, took it to a Jeep dealership and replaced Transmission Control Module. Still having same issues and I took it back to dealership and now it is the shifter module. It doesn't want to switch gears and when I put it in drive or reverse it doesn't want to go. Does anyone know anything about this or has had some of the same issues?

MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THE 05
By unhappy jeep girl on 12/26/08 22:21 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the car in 06 with 23K miles on it. By 45K miles, I had to replace the transmission. At 60K I had to replace the starter, alternator, brake pads, rotors, and transmission again. 2 weeks later, the drive shaft and casings were all replaced. Now, at 75K I am looking to replace the drive shaft again and possibly a wheel baring. The service manager at a dealership told me that starting in 05 Jeep started "turning and burning them!" Doesn't exactly make you feel good about your purchase!!! Be very careful when buying a Jeep from 05 and on!

Modifications are Fun!
By LuckyAZ on 12/14/08 14:57 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have the 5.7L Hemi and have added a performance chip and cold air intake. This made the Jeep awesome off-road and fun in-town. I love going on the trails, and then beating performance sedans in town.

The Worst Vehicle...
By stressedowner on 12/03/08 20:36 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

As others have stated, this is the worst vehicle I have owned. This past Sunday, it went to the dealership on a tow truck for the 6th time in the past year (yes, 6th time). The first 5 times were because it would not start - as in completely dead! The battery was replaced 3 of the 5 times. This last time was for the transmission. According to the dealership, the filter cracked and the transmission needs to be rebuilt. They are waiting for a part to come in. Lucky for me, it has all been covered under warranty. I am, however, now afraid to drive it anywhere but local for fear of it failing again and leaving me severely stranded!!!

3rd X a charm...hopefully: tran trouble
By mimi77 on 11/30/08 17:33 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

In 2006 we bought an 05 Laredo (18K mi) because we needed a bigger car after having 2nd baby. I had to have it, always wanted a Jeep Cherokee. Not 10 months later transmission had to be rebuilt. 10 months later again, transmission had to be replaced. Both times under warranty, but I have a feeling work was already done, before we got it. 1 year later we are having same problem: leaking fluid and starting to shift hard, taking it in for third time in less than 3 years. Never ever buying a Jeep again, for that matter any Chrysler-Daimler make.