2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
No problem with Jeeps
By smartjeeplady on 04/30/09 08:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The first Jeep I had was a 1995 year model had it for 7 years and the only thing that went out on it was the air conditioning. Traded it for a Chrysler Pacifica. Loved the car but 6 months later a 17 year old ran a stop sign and totaled it. That is when I bought the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and love it as much as the first one. I was taught to keep up maintenance on cars by my Dad's example. I always go to our local Jeep dealer for maintenance. But I will say we bought the extended warranty because of the heavy use of the air conditioning system in Texas. My jeep is not 4WD but it performs well because of the 8 cylinder engine. We have had it for almost three years and still like it.

Weird check engine light situations
By Kai on 04/25/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Every other week the check engine light goes on, either I have a catalytic converter issue or it is just a short circuit. A lot of dangerous blind spots. I would fire the guys who designed the car, it looks like cheap plastic stuff. Nice to drive, even though wind noise unbearable when going over 60 mph.

Never Again
By Scott on 03/16/09 10:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Jeep, but I can't give the company any further business. Warranty repairs that charge a deductible, parts that wear out in less than two years (and AREN'T covered under warranty), and a customer service agent who told me that she didn't need my business. Just noticed that there were ZERO Chrysler products (including Jeep) were recommended by Consumer Reports: I'm buying a new vehicle in the next three months and it (sadly) can't be a Jeep.

Forever Jeep
By HappyJeeper on 03/15/09 15:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drive a Jeep Laredo Cherokee '05. I bought it used with 18K already on it. I have owned it 3.5 years. Other than routine maintenance, I have not had to replace one part. At 46K, I even have the original brake pads. At the last brake inspection, my trusted mechanic said I may go to 50K or beyond on them. A year ago, I was rear ended by a hit and run driver, on one of the famous Massachusetts rotaries. In a smaller, foreign car I'm certain my car would have had some serious damage and I would have been sore or injured. Because, I was in my Jeep, I had no injuries and my car only had a few scratches, easily fixed with touch-up paint.

Truck Died on Testdrive
By saxguyck on 03/13/09 07:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

So I will say that I always absolutely loved the grand cherokees until I got to drive one; the quality is horrible. I went to test drive a beautiful black 05 4x4. For the first 5 minutes of the test drive, I was in love. The car was cool and looked good from the outside and the interior was nicely appointed. Then when I stopped at a traffic light, all of a sudden, the certified pre-owned truck died and had to be towed. We went back to the lot and I picked out another one and this other one wouldn't start. At this time I decided to leave and forget about buying a Jeep at all. Again, these were 2 certified pre-owned jeeps with less than 30,000 miles that broke down while I was trying to buy

TRANY IS JUNK
By NICK on 03/13/09 03:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

bought this vehicle Jan 09, with 17000 miles on it and thought I had purchased a good vehicle. have owner several jeeps before without problems , all being wranglers so I would consider myself a loyal Jeep owner. The transmission light on the dash has came off and on several times but has never acted or done anything weird and went out. Just prior to reaching 22,000 miles the transmission just died. I could manually shift in 1st 2nd and reverse and thats it. just took it to the dealer and they have to rebuild it. as I was looking through these posts I think this wont be the last time either. DON'T buy this vehicle. If the trany drops after 22,000 miles I cant wait to see what else will happen

Transmission problems
By MaiaG on 03/10/09 16:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I received my jeep as a Christmas present. It has been amazing! I had so many problems with getting my other cars stuck in the snow. It was a major relief to get my jeep. I never got stuck again! However, my jeep has a very inconvenient problem. Sometime when I drive it the transmission will not shift. I have to pull over and turn off the vehicle, but then it works just fine! Also, the tire pressure light comes on randomly and makes a dinging noise. I like how my jeep heats up fast and the heated seats work wonderful.

Transmission
By out of luck on 03/08/09 13:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this jeep used, I have only had it 6 months. It has 64,000 miles on it. It has no warranty on it because i bought it used. I took it to the dealership and it now needs a new transmission, which they quoted $3,00-$4000.

Problematic
By freddyg on 02/28/09 14:21 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Nice vehicle that had to go due to too many problems. Replaced the gear shifter mechanism, front shock, rear differential, two computer modules and the sunroof. I did not trust it out of warranty. Only had 37,000 miles. The resale value was terrible, originally a loaded 40K V8. Wound up with 15k on a trade in and in and lucky to get that.

Never Again
By CherokeeNoMore on 02/19/09 09:19 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was so happy when I first purchased my Cherokee. Brand new off the lot, it was shortly after I started having problems. Tranny, rack & pinion, etc... The dealer, no matter which one I took it to was so bad I had to start taking it to a paid mechanic who himself states he sees too many of these in the shop. After I had my baby I had a terrible time with his car seat and the back. I was so disappointed as this is supposed to be a family car. NO! I don't even feel safe with him in the car now... its having back electrical problems causing interior lights to flash, no starts and weird smells. I am DONE WITH THIS THING! I have lost nearly double what this originally cost and won't get it back.