2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
I Love Jeeps... BUT!
By zrubin1 on 10/29/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this JGC for 10 months. Within that time I have had to send it in for 2 major repairs. This car has already cost me $1,700 to fix and according to the mechanic, who just replaced my starter, servos and battery, I will be needing a new Water Pump soon. That's another $600 fix. In addition to the mechanical fixes there are several issues that I have let slide, including burnt out LED's in the dash ($150 to repair), window motor broken, AC not getting cold, and door lock getting stuck. This Jeep has been a NIGHTMARE. I've owned 4 jeeps and will probably never buy another one again.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! on 10/08/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car with under 30k miles, 2 weeks after purchasing this car it was having transmission issues, not shifting properly. I have been taking this vehicle into dealerships for almost 3 years now, paying the deductible every time, always for the same problem. since then the transmission has only gotten worse. Popping itself into neutral while driving, cannot use the brakes, needing to pull over to turn the car off to get it to work properly. MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE! It does not like to shift out of 3rd gear. I have replaced several parts on this car. Today was at a stop and all the lights on the dash lit up, everything dinging, going on and off for no reason.

Lemon?
By Eleanor on 10/07/09 11:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a 4.7L engine in February of 2009. It had odd electrical issues - the message center would constantly tell me to "service the 4WD system" but I never used the 4X4 and the rear passenger side window wouldn't roll up after being rolled down. And the car got terrible gas mileage! My previous Jeep, a 1999 model had gotten great mileage and I never had problems with it. It was a great car! Then my boyfriend totaled my '05 Jeep. To replace it, I decided on an 05 Limited with the 5.7 (Hemi). And this new one stinks too! Gas mileage is even worse, and the passenger side window won't roll up. Plus, the car leaks when it rains. I used to love JEEP!

Great Mid-size SUV
By TJ on 09/02/09 03:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with purchase. We have had no problems with the vehicle (62,000 miles). It rides great. This is my wife's primary car and used for all long long family trips. I've looked at and drove other SUVs and feel Jeep just designs them better.

Jeep is moving on up!!
By Wayne Daughtridge on 08/28/09 15:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several jeeps over the years both Wranglers and Grand Cherokee. My GC has the 4.7 V8 motor, and I tow a 22 foot boat back and forth to the coast several times a year about 4 hours each way. I also pull a motorcyle trailer all over the southeast. My fuel mileage is just as good as the F250 Diesels. I average 13 to 14 miles per gallon. The jeep is strong and reliable even with 65,000 miles logged in.

J:ust E:mpty E:very P:ocket
By NO MORE JEEPS FOR ME on 07/25/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I drove this off the lot as happy as can be. I loved every aspect, heated leather, 4 wheel drive, Sunroof, DVD system, etc. I was thrilled during my first year of ownership (I purchased the Jeep with 40K miles). The second year of ownership has been nothing but problems. I have had constant problems with all electrical components (dash lights, A/C, etc). The Jeep turns off unexpectedly... I have had multiple Certified Chrysler dealers look at the problem and nobody has found a fix. The issues aren't constant; they come and go... very annoying. I will not purchase a Jeep again.

ugggh!!
By mvm on 07/13/09 22:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep with 70k on it and and have driven it 5k and my fuel pump needed replaced, a shock was leaking, and my tranny just went out. Each one I had to pay $200 deductible with Chrysler. Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty or id already be out like $4k! If you purchase this vehicle buy the warranty! If I were you though, look elsewhere!

Best suv i have ever rode in!
By rozzyroz on 05/30/09 05:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is the third JGC that we have owned since 1999. we have had a 1999, 2002 and this 2005. the 2002 had a steering pump hose burst on a -20 degree day, but i guess you would have to expect that.. the other two have never had any problems. we have long commutes to work and school for my son, when we had to replace the 2002 after an accident, we decided to try other suv's...after all the test drives, we both agreed that none of them stacked up to the jeep. the leather interior, the 4.7 v8, the sunroof.. all awesome. looks great,and drives even better. we get some nasty snow in the Ohio area, so we are thankful that jeep offers such a superb 4 wheel drive in a great package!

A lemon that fell from a lemon tree.
By Tony B. on 05/26/09 15:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

2 weeks into ownership had transmission problems. Took back to dealer several times for adjustments. Not kidding about this paint started "bubbling" on roof pockets of rust showing. Mind you under 5k miles at this point. Made several pleas with Chrysler to make a fair trade deal or something but they ignored me until I got a lemon lawyer. It ended costing them $6k and out of that I ended up with $3k we both lost!

WARNING DO NOT BUY
By jacquie on 05/22/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this Jeep 5 months ago, have had nothing but problems, Had to rebuild front diff, bearings and now the front control module, which was not covered under the warranty... Wish i would have read more about this vehicle before i thought of buying this, i would have changed my mind....Very disappointing, Love the Style of the Jeep but very poor quality, Will trade this in soon as i can and gonna stick with Toyota or Honda.