2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Good reliable SUV
By Ben on 02/12/10 09:00 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the car in 2006 with 18,000 miles on it. It now has 95,000. I have not had any mechanical problems. This SUV is one of the smoothest riding vehicles I have been in. Power is good and it is holding up well to the wear and tear. No visible rust. Gas mileage is poor at best. I had been getting between 17-16 mpg around town and 18-19 on the hwy. However, now I am below 13mpg. It may be caused by the lack of driving. I have a company car now so it only gets short trips here and there. Also it tows very well. I pull a boat on occasion and can hardley tell it is behind me. I would recommend this car to friends. To

2005 Cherokee Laredo, 4.7 liter
By DSV on 02/10/10 05:02 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have 93,000 miles on this car. I have had only two problems that the dealer should have been able to repair rapidly, but didn't. The alarm system would not open the door with the key and then wouldn't run after opening with the key. The control module was bad and the technician couldn't determine this? The tire pressure monitors also indicate a leak, but are not leaking. I took to a new dealer who checked the car during an oil change and he told me that batteries were bad. This is a very expensive fix at $90 each.

fun for the money
By jeepsRfun2drive on 02/07/10 01:56 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

the jeep has had some issues, but overall the fun and satisfaction of driving it has been far beyond my expectations. i bought my 05 5.7L HEMI with 24k, have 49k now, had electrical issues with ac and the knob on the gps fell off, both replaced under warranty. Battery died at 30k. Having electrical issues with lights flashing on and off, haven't had dealership look yet, only works in automatic without problems. keychains broke, cupholder in the back broke, passenger side heat vent broke, sunroof doesn't close right unless i push it along, and it still rolls back sometimes when closing, leather on drivers seat ripped. american car, i got what i paid for, gas guzzling power lo quality build

Very disappointed Jeep owner
By NotAHappyCamper on 02/02/10 16:47 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Jeep and my first American car. What a disappointment. The car is always giving me problem. Just recently at 27K miles the transmission went. Then again at 36K miles and within a year of the transmission some circuit board that controls the transmission blows. Then itÂ’s the squeaky wheel which will cost me $800 to fix. The car is falling apart and it only has 36K miles and 4.5 years old. BE AWARE AND DO NOT BUY A JEEP. I am trading mine for a more reliable car.

Good vehicle with regular maintenance
By Angela on 01/29/10 16:22 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I am happy with my purchase. I bought my Jeep brand new, and have logged 175,000 miles on it. I had to replace the battery after 2 years, and have had some minor transmission issues. The shifter had to be repaired twice. Otherwise, everything has worked fine. I get an oil change every 6,000 miles, and have the transmission fluid flushed/replaced every year. I had the brakes replaced, but with as much as I drive, that's to be expected. It still runs good, and I will probably keep driving this Jeep until I run it into the ground. A friend of mine bought the same model the same year I got mine. His turned out to be a lemon, but mine runs well. Get a warranty to be safe.

Bad Transmissions
By Cristine Lewis on 01/23/10 05:22 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this Jeep for Ohio Winters and comfort. Purchased with 53K miles. After one year of driving at 69K miles tranny was shot. Noticed vehicle slightly surging on inclines (was tranny slipping). Very upset with 12 pymts rebuild tranny cost $3K. Towed it back to dealer and traded on a 2010 Jeep Patriot. Do not buy this car! Hope our luck changes for the better at a healthy cost.

?
By LoveMyJeepie on 12/30/09 11:16 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my Jeep. I love how it drives, looks, and all the features. It has been my favorite car so far, BUT it has SO many problems!! The sunroof leaks, the dust cover around the shifter broke, windshield washer fluid squirter broke off, the button to open the back hatch glass broke, and it sounds like the transmission is having problems!! for only being 4 years old I had assumed i bought a lemon! Also it seems that there is hardly any room in the back seat.

disappointed
By krisje on 12/14/09 14:55 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Oh my, where do I start. So many things gone wrong, parts melting, 4 WD drive system had to be completely replaced, drive shaft when 3 weeks in possession, etc...etc...etc.. it doesn't stop. I kept the car this long just because I looooovve driving it, but I sure can do without all the repairs. I put up with it under warranty, but that is over with. I've had to invest thousands in to my Jeep this year, of course after the 100,000 mile warranty ran out, figures. I would love to trade it in for another one just like it, but all the troubles I had with it scares me to buy another Jeep again, or any other Chrysler product.

Practial ride, so-so gas mileage
By GP on 12/09/09 17:24 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car in October 2008 with 42K miles when my first kid came. It's the 6cyl 3.7L so it's not the fastest thing on the road but it gets the job done. 13 months later it now has 58K miles on it. Only trips to the dealer have been for oil changes every 3-4K. Gas mileage is not that great 15-17mpg city average, around 22mpg highway average. Lots of room in the trunk to haul things. Interior is pretty simple but rugged which I like because it's easy to maintain.

TERRIBLE NEVER BUYING ANOTHER
By JusEmptyEntirePocket on 11/09/09 06:45 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 05 Jeep Grand cherokee in June of 2008 and have had nothing but problems since day one. Right away the starter went and then from there on the list is endless now the rear end is leaking the car only has 54,000 miles on it and it's sitting in a driveway because within the past 3 weeks it has cost me over $2,000 in repairs. love my jeep but it is really getting ridiculous. I am looking into trading it in for a brand new honda, no more jeeps even though I have loved them my whole life. I guess it's just the luck of the draw some people have good luck others do not.