Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Performs flawlessly and gets me anywhere
By Jeeper05

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I am a hunter and use this Jeep a lot and use it hard. Even with the 4x4 Quadtrac 1 system, it gets me through the mud, sand, deep water, through brush and up and down hills great. I never get stuck. Not quite a Wrangler in some manners but almost and it rides like a champ. Very comfortable, good gas mileage, 18 mpg in town and 23 on one trip. Great in the snow also. I have 36,000 miles on my jeep now and it's running great. My last one went 275k until tranny needed work. Sold it to employee with 330k and is still running great.

Favorite Features

4x4 capability and comfort. Also looks and gas mileage. Good heater and a/c. Rigid suspension and good working 4x4 system.

Suggested Improvements

4x4 low engagement and more ground clearance.

Excellent Vehicle and Great Value!
By Ryan328

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This car is efficient; I get 18.5 mpg in town. Excellent offroad I have to say. I also have a Wrangler, so I know what offroading is about. I am a hunter, fisherman and ride quads so I use it quite a bit. It never gets stuck. No reliability issues, itís been solid and is very smooth. I would recommend to anyone. My friend's 2005 4Runner broke his rack and pinion while on a hunting expedition and my Jeep towed him home over the same terrain. Toyotas aren't what they used to be. He now drives a Jeep. For the price you pay get something that will do what you need.

Favorite Features

4x4 system is great, especially for being a full time unit, excellent capability. Comfortable interior, great sound system, smooth ride on the road, good acceleration, love the looks.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more ground clearance, 4x4 low, but it does the job and does it well.

unsatisfied
By dan

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Jjeep and I am not impressed. Vehicle seems to handle poorly on bumpy turns at highway speeds. Also purchased vehicle with 4.7v8 and it seems under powered. Donít rest your elbow on window when auto locks engage you get pinched. A/C not up to par and windows seem to fog up too much.

Favorite Features

Free satellite radio for one year.

Suggested Improvements

Improve handling, A/C and mileage.

A Jeep Thing
By p

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Jeep: an '85 Cherokee (used),'96 Grand Cherokee (new), and now this one, an '05 Grand Cherokee. I test drove several '03 and '04 GC's (used) and the new model is far better in many ways. I also owned an '04 TrailBlazer, which I promptly traded after 9 months. It was very floaty (like an old Buick). I wish I had not sold my '96 Grand Cherokee for the TB. So far, I am very happy the new GC (19,500 miles). The ride is almost car-like, but still firm. The 3.7 liter is very capable and responsive. I would only consider one of the V8's if gas was cheap or I had to tow heavy loads. I average about 18-20+ mpg, which is not bad for an SUV with AWD. The list of standard features was also pretty good.

Favorite Features

AWD and traction control, quiet ride and handling, interior design, 5 speed auto, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Make low range standard. Less hard plastic. Less side bolstering on seats. Not much else.

WISH I BOUGHT A CHEVY
By LLR

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

The Jeep Grand Cherokee looks nice, but there are problems with the design of the 2005. I bought mine in June 2005; in October I took it in for service because the air conditioner didn't work. The told me it's not covered under warranty because something from the road hit it and put a hole in it. Now I thought this was an off road SUV. There is a gap under the bumper that's at least 1 foot by 2 foot with no protection at all. The customer care center didn't seem to care that the car was 3 months old and only had 3500 miles on it. Sorry Nature caused your problems. It wasn't nature, it was a bad design and should be covered.

Favorite Features

Cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Put cross bars in the front of the suv so damage should not happen. This is the first year Jeep has left that area unprotected!