Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Take a Closer Look at the Grand Cherokee
By gc

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Grand Cherokee is a fun vehicle to drive. In reading some of the professional reviews, I was skeptical until I actually drove the Jeep. It has a 4.7 V8, which has plenty of power, and we have found it to be a very comfortable vehicle. The interior has plenty of room and everything is conveniently located. Ours is "optioned" up pretty good and has the Quadra Drive II. Overall, I would highly recommend the Grand Cherokee to anyone looking for a fun, mid-size SUV.

Convenient controls, and the Boston Acoustics 6 disc stereo are several of my favorite things about the Grand Cherokee. I also like the rain-sensing wipers. The transmission is a 5 speed automatic, but it operates much like a stick (without the clutch).

I would recommend that they make Sirius Satellite Radio a standard feature. The Jeep is not really an inexpensive vehicle, and for everything that's so right about it, the lack of Sirius was a minor annoyance, especially when the Laredo model that was next to the Limited that I bought had it.

Powerful vehicle
By Hershel Green

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Jeep for almost a year now and I have been very impressed. I owned 88 and 98 Cherokees before this and have loved them all, but this one is the best. I have driven the thing into the ground putting almost 23,000 miles in the first year. One of the best things I like is its towing ability. I moved from Virginia to California pulling a trailer and load of about 4700lbs. I was quite unsure of how it would do but to my surprise it performed great. I have the tow package. The gearing and transmission performance in the tow haul setting was great, even in cruise control. I was able to maintain the speed limit in all areas except some mountains. I was still able to maintain at least 55 there.

Tow package. AWD QUAD TRACK II system. New body look and interior looks great.

I did have one problem. I have had a random service 4WD waring that the dealers can't seem to fix or even find. And the doors need more comfortable arm rests.

My 3rd Jeep
By Jason in Denver

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third Jeep, the first was a Wrangler, great Jeep, the second a Cherokee, didn't last. This one has been great so far, gas mileage in heavy city driving has been 14mpg so not the best, highway 20mpg. But I do jackrabbit starts so I'm not surprised by the mileage. Otherwise the interior is great and the features the Limited comes with are awesome. From my experience with Jeeps, always change the oil about every 3k miles, but besides that reliability should be good. We've owned foreign cars as well and they seem to take more abuse but if you stay on the maintenance the Jeeps are fine.

Full time 4x4, Bluetooth, heated seats, driver seat memory (Pilot doesn't have it).

Longer warranty would probably sell more since American cars have a bad rep in general. Better gas mileage.

Sorry, No More Jeeps
By ACMilan99

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great in snow which is why I needed it in the first place but overall quality is awful. This is not my first Jeep but will certainly be my last (especially since the new models are ugly, expect Liberty). Going on the second set of brake rotors which Jeep will not pay for! Has only 12K miles in 1.5 yrs. Grinding noise over bumps in cold weather which no one can figure why; white tire lettering chipping away; transmission shifts with a huge jolt; performance is good; gas mileage is bad (but not why I bought it anyway). It is fun to drive but I can see vehicle aging very quickly.

Great looking especially Red; lots of room inside.

Larger glove box; better factory Q.A. practices for future models or customers will flock elsewhere.

It's Got a Hemi
By Sean

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I recently traded in my beloved Honda Accord for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The ride is smooth and quiet but you can hear the RUMBLE when you need that HEMI power to kick in. The fuel economy stinks but I was ready for that when i was getting the 5.7 liter engine. Driving stability is phenomenal. I love the front chrome grill on my Jeep. It's got every imaginable feature such as rain sensors, auto dimming mirrors, heated front seats, 6 disc mp3 cd player, dvd player, memory seats, tire pressure monitor, back up sensor. And its size is not as monstrous as the Suburban so ... you can step on it a little without the fear of losing control. How can you not gun it if you've got a HEMI! :)

Obviously the best thing i like about my Jeep is the 320 hp hemi engine. I like the exterior and interior design. As a matter of fact, I like everything about my Jeep. It is a very sturdy vehicle.

I've only owned my Jeep for barely 2 months and so far I haven't noticed any weaknesses in the vehicle.

• SUV