Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Most Helpful|
It's OK
By Texas Driver

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Cherokee because of the smooth ride and reputation of Jeep. My Cherokee has been very dependable but it has been in the shop once to have the "O" ring replaced. The comfort inside the vehicle is nice and roomy for front row passengers only. The bad things are the many blind spots, the front windhield seems small to me as I have to duck down my head a little to see stoplights, no back leg room if both front seats are moved all the way back and the Gas mileage seems poor. I average 15 mpg city/18hwy. The seat belts also don't seem long enough if you have a belly. This vehicle is not for tall or heavy set people as you will the same things to be bothersome.

Favorite Features

Roomy front seats and wide middle armrest. The Laredo package is also nicley equipped.

Suggested Improvements

Front windshield should be bigger and do away with the wide plastic pieces on the sides of the front windshield, they obstruct vision.

Weird check engine light situations
By Kai

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Every other week the check engine light goes on, either I have a catalytic converter issue or it is just a short circuit. A lot of dangerous blind spots. I would fire the guys who designed the car, it looks like cheap plastic stuff. Nice to drive, even though wind noise unbearable when going over 60 mph.

Favorite Features

good stereo, comfy seats, ac works well enough in TX

Suggested Improvements

make a new car from scratch, no use to overhaul it (gas mileage, interior design)

Good Experience
By sjordan2009

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 wk new and it now has 105000 miles. Ive abused it in the snow, at the beach and on the trails. Had to replace the starter at 60k miles ($200) and the heater core at 90K miles ($1000). I plan on keeping the vehicle another 100K.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to solid front axles.

2005 Grand Cherokee
By Dr.Scott13

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

2005 Grand Cherokee, purchased used 2006 w/ 29,000. Was fine until 35,000 and the Tranny Blew! Heard about it, read about it and then experienced. Love the ride, the storage, but can't get past the transmission problems. Would like to buy another Jeep, but can't forget the burn it gave me the first time. Sorry can't recommend, unless you have $3,000 for a Transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission

Limited Hemi
By bradyd

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love my Jeep. Had some problems right away when we bought it. We bought the $200 deductible warranty which came in handy. Had to rebuild the rear differential and fix the cruise control wiring. Now it has the famous "Service 4 Wheel Drive System" message but not worrying about fixing that. It pulls my 16' boat like nothing and never downshits going up hills. Get's great mpg. 19 on freeway and 21 at 60 mph. Hemi is the way to go.