Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

best value in class
By colby vanscoy

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I now have 35,000 miles on this Jeep. It gets 17 miles to the gallon on the highway, 15 in the city. Just towed my 20 ft Bayliner to south Florida. It got 14.7 miles to the gallon and I didn't even know it was there. The truck handles great on the road and there are no rattles when on the bad washed out roads. the v8 motor has more power than Chevys or Fords . This is the best truck I have ever owned!

U connect hands free connection. Sirius satellite radio. limited slip rear end.

Lower suggested retail price.

Wish we didn't buy a defective Jeep...
By John

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

No matter the make or model of any car, there will always be cars with many problems and some who never have any! Luck of the draw. Well, we didn't luck out. We've had nothing but problems. Everything is under warranty, and there was a recall (no big deal), but it's already been back to the dealer for the following: replaced the torque converter, roof leaks, fuel sensors died, had to replace entire gas tank, had to replace the starter, shakes at certain speeds, and even stalls out at times. Transmission is HORRIBLE. Seems like a lot of problems to have within the first year. We were excited to buy the Jeep (both of us being previous Jeep owners), and wish we bought one that wasn't defective!

Style, safety (one of the safest SUV's in its class).

Better accommodate people over 6'0. Car seats only fit properly in center seat & vents don't move to cover all angles (just check them out when you look at the car). Fix the many small details they seem to have overlook, Replace the transmissions with one of better quality, & they'd have a great SUV!

Good but need improvements
By Juan Gonzalez

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Car is an excellent option for the price, but need to improve quality. I've just owned this car since December 2005 and it's been in service department 3 times. The last time, we needed to change something on the 4x4 system and it took 2 months to get that part delivered from Chrysler.

5.7 HEMI driving.

Building quality.

Used 2005 JGC Owner in GA
By custombuilt53

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I love the feel of this Jeep. I owned a 2002 Laredo I purchased new, and it started with problems and a rougher ride. This 2005 was purchased with 34,000 miles. The ride is very smooth. Hopefully the first owner has already gotten the heavy hitting problems taken care of.

I like the body style of 2005, but I believe the old body style of my 2002 had more definition. The interior of the JGC Laredo 3.7 stinks a bit. It looks cheaper than the same 2002 Laredo. I prefer a busy dash, as most women do. I liked the premium sound that was put in the 2002 Infinity system.

Put a few more buttons and better sound, with a more attractive dash in the Laredo. The ride is great in mine, the exterior looks great on my gold with black trim. Find something other than gray to blend with the exteriors! Chrysler backed off the options for the JGC Laredo, but kept the price tag.

Overall great....but...
By RANDY

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great vehicle, but for some reason it overheated at 750 miles (since new) after a brief gas stop on 250 mile trip home. It was flatbedded to the nearest dealership. They found nothing wrong! Strange, since now I wonder if it might happen again. Dealership not helpful in explaining how this could have occurred. Otherwise, my 6 month experience with this Jeep (5.7 L) has been great.

The 5.7 Hemi; Sirius radio; great cruise control; very comfortable; great looks (mine is white).

Can't think of any.