Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Problematic Vehicle
By carguru12

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned the truck since it was brand new, and now it has 177,000 miles on it. Recently, the EGR valve had to be replaced, as did the front C/V joint, radiator, and water pump. The transmission is noisy, and gas mileage is horrible. It was a good car when it was new, but has started to show its age.

Favorite Features

Great sound system, good power, clean but rugged looks.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, navigation system needs work, rear DVD headphones need to be more durable, transmission is noisy, gas mileage is horrible, seats are rather uncomfortable.

Biggest Mistake of My Life!
By advoman56

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I honestly made a huge mistake buying a Chrysler product. I'm having problem after problem. I'm going back to Toyota or Volvo. Chrysler should shut there doors for there sake. Trash all the way!!

Best car I have ever owned
By sage69

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am the original owner of my Jeep which now has 180,000 miles on it. It is my third Jeep. As an outside salesman I have driven over 1,000,000 miles in the past 30 years. And this is the most durable car I have ever driven. Besides still having the original brake pads with 40% of their life left, the only "repairs" so far have been a water pump, EGR valve and throttle position sensor. The 3 items were done at 170,000 miles. It took 60,000 miles just to break in the motor which uses not a drop of oil between regular oil changes every 5-6,000 miles. My car has every available option and NOT one thing has malfunctioned in 180,000 miles. You just can't go wrong with this car.

Favorite Features

Some of my favorite features are the rain senseing wipers, audio controls on the steering wheel, touch shifter, tow control, adjustable brake peddle, nav system, heated leather seats, blue tooth feature, programable garage door opener, auto dimming headlights, sunroof, and no squeeks anywhere at 180,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Provide free updated navigation discs, relocate spare tire.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
By bobfabsik

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the vehicle new. It is a Laredo Rocky Mountain edition with the 4.7L V-8. Shortly after I purchased it, the "Service 4 wheel drive" message appeared. It took the dealer several weeks to resolve the problem. The same error message still occasionally occurs, but the vehicle operates fine. Gas mileage is 10-12 city and 14-18 highway. For the last 3 years, the car has been in Mexico. The roads are very rough an dusty. The car is holding up exceptionally well. A recent problem is a noise near the rear axle. Otherwise, all is well at 66K miles.

Favorite Features

Sirius XM radio 4 wheel drive system Engine torque and performance Tire pressure monitoring

Suggested Improvements

Better spare tire accessability

2005 Jeep GC with 5.7
By stoppy3

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Worst automobile I have ever owned. So many problems ranging from axle isolators (second repair)to interior parts such as door panels (all of them) breaking, vent tabs falling off, nav system inoperative (2nd unit), window switches inop on driver door, front driveshaft replaced, brake calipers froze up, Try replacing a starter as you will need to grow two additional hands to help. Can't say much good about this automobile. Even the resale value stinks.

Favorite Features

Can't think of one

Suggested Improvements

Fix all the shoddy manufacturing shortcuts.