2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Biggest Mistake of My Life!
By advoman56 on 09/09/13 16:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I honestly made a huge mistake buying a Chrysler product. I'm having problem after problem. I'm going back to Toyota or Volvo. Chrysler should shut there doors for there sake. Trash all the way!!

Not Recommended :(
By carguru12 on 02/20/13 13:36 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned this Jeep since it was brand new. The performance is great on the V8, as is the features we have (leather, navigation, DVD, satellite radio) but we take great care of our vehicles, and unfortunately this generation of Grand Cherokee has held up the worst of all of the ones we've owned (we've owned three out of the four generations of Grand Cherokee). The center console lid is worn, the rear DVD headphones broke, etc. They claim it is "quieter than a Jaguar S-Type 3.0", but the transmission is quite noisy. I don't recommend this generation of Grand Cherokee.

Pretty Good SUV
By moparornocar91 on 10/16/11 20:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My uncle bought it new in 05 then I bought it from him and its a 60,000 miles and going strong it rides amazing but the v6 is sluggish (really need to mash the pedal to pass on the hwy) gas milage isnt great but i'm not complaining. it has been rattled hard (uncle lived on a dirt, rutted horrible road lol) and has only had a few problems.

been a good rig
By jimsjeep1 on 04/21/11 20:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I Bought this Jeep in 2005 brand new. It has been reliable and fun to drive. I drive about 35000 miles a year and this vehicle has served me well. I only took it to the dealer a few times and the rest of the time the local oil change place. It has 201,000 miles on it and I am going to trade it in for something that gets better mileage. No major problems. Maybe they run better when you run the heck out of em!

Wanted to love it
By beach987 on 12/14/10 20:24 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This car is amazing... when it's working right. I've had so many problems, cracked axle (seriously), new tires at like 50,000 miles, transmission computer glitches, had to replace the stereo system, new shocks, and now the instrument cluster is the latest. I've put way more money into this car than it ever was worth. And I love it, taking it off road was awesome, but I was always freaked out that something would happen to it, almost too much to enjoy it. Honestly I can't wait to trade it in for something more reliable.

Not Again
By nojeep on 12/10/10 13:56 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Sorry to say I wouldn't buy again, imput shaft broke off transmission at 36K. cover by warranty. Had to replace electronic shifter module 4 times which they covered under 7\70000 now it needs a 5th. one and they won't cover it for some reason and it only has 61k and will cost almost $1000.00 and this is a safety problem try pulling into traffic and your jeep stops. p0700 code replaced water pump at 56K. Mopar just lost a 40 year fan because of this. To bad because believe or not I really liked my jeep. If you want to spend $1000.00 ever 12k-14k for a shifter module go ahead and buy one.

Transmission
By Mikelamb on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Why does it seem that i have to fix the transmission in my Jeep every year. It's always the shift modulator. My buddy just got a Jeep of the same year and drove it off the lot and when he got in his drive way it did the same thing as mine. Transmission light came on and you cant switch to manual shifting. i think Jeep needs to get me a new transmission.

Wish I bought 2
By Don B on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great vehicle. I bought it for winter all wheel drive and towing motorcycles. It has done everything well. Comfortable and quiet for travel. Only mechanical issue is a stripped cog on the electric seat adjustment (it gets used a lot). Just reached 60,000 after five years. Only drawbacks, besides the seat, are poor fuel economy in town and towing, and the relatively extensive routine maintenance. On balance, compared to other cars and trucks I've owned, it has been a good value. My wife likes it, so it would be nice to have two (the seat would last longer).

First Jeep
By Twitch on 08/24/10 23:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Have been driving the 3.7 version for almost two years. Towed a fully loaded 5x8 enclosed trailer weighing 2000 lbs across the country with no problems in the mountains. Turn radius in parking lot is similar to small car. Power steering works great when at full stop. Spark plugs are difficult to replace, but not impossible. Climate control is quick to respond.

Electical nightmare
By bob on 07/15/10 07:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Jeep, but it won't stop breaking. The back is full of spare parts that always brake, lots of fuses and extra wire to make a fusible link from the battery. Why don't they have a fuse for the radio or power Windows? And why don't they make parts out of something other than plastic? I have been buying parts from the Audi dealership, and modifying them to work on my Jeep. Its now a Jedi.