2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Horrible Product
By not happy on 08/30/10 17:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I had a bought a brand new 96 and had no problems with it, so i decided to upgrade bought this Jeep after bringing it home water pump started going out took it back then after that air bag light kept going off and now I keep having dry starts, The inline 6 motor they had was great,thats why they changed them into regular motors so that they would break down easier, never again will I buy a jeep.

Amazing Vehicle
By Amber on 03/14/10 19:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I love my jeep. Were about to hit 100000 miles and i've never had one thing go wrong with it.. scared ill jinx myself now.. but overall this cars been awesome. i love it and its the best vehicle ive ever owned.. treat your jeep good and itll be good to you!!

2005 Cherokee Laredo, 4.7 liter
By DSV on 02/10/10 05:02 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have 93,000 miles on this car. I have had only two problems that the dealer should have been able to repair rapidly, but didn't. The alarm system would not open the door with the key and then wouldn't run after opening with the key. The control module was bad and the technician couldn't determine this? The tire pressure monitors also indicate a leak, but are not leaking. I took to a new dealer who checked the car during an oil change and he told me that batteries were bad. This is a very expensive fix at $90 each.

Bad Transmissions
By Cristine Lewis on 01/23/10 05:22 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this Jeep for Ohio Winters and comfort. Purchased with 53K miles. After one year of driving at 69K miles tranny was shot. Noticed vehicle slightly surging on inclines (was tranny slipping). Very upset with 12 pymts rebuild tranny cost $3K. Towed it back to dealer and traded on a 2010 Jeep Patriot. Do not buy this car! Hope our luck changes for the better at a healthy cost.

TERRIBLE NEVER BUYING ANOTHER
By JusEmptyEntirePocket on 11/09/09 06:45 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 05 Jeep Grand cherokee in June of 2008 and have had nothing but problems since day one. Right away the starter went and then from there on the list is endless now the rear end is leaking the car only has 54,000 miles on it and it's sitting in a driveway because within the past 3 weeks it has cost me over $2,000 in repairs. love my jeep but it is really getting ridiculous. I am looking into trading it in for a brand new honda, no more jeeps even though I have loved them my whole life. I guess it's just the luck of the draw some people have good luck others do not.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! on 10/08/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car with under 30k miles, 2 weeks after purchasing this car it was having transmission issues, not shifting properly. I have been taking this vehicle into dealerships for almost 3 years now, paying the deductible every time, always for the same problem. since then the transmission has only gotten worse. Popping itself into neutral while driving, cannot use the brakes, needing to pull over to turn the car off to get it to work properly. MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE! It does not like to shift out of 3rd gear. I have replaced several parts on this car. Today was at a stop and all the lights on the dash lit up, everything dinging, going on and off for no reason.

reliability
By ed wess on 01/22/09 15:26 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

3 and half years old with 150,000 miles replaced starter, tires, brakes and tune up nothing more. Msrp 32,000 bought for 26,500 plus parts total cost 27,500 can't beat it.

3rd X a charm...hopefully: tran trouble
By mimi77 on 11/30/08 17:33 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

In 2006 we bought an 05 Laredo (18K mi) because we needed a bigger car after having 2nd baby. I had to have it, always wanted a Jeep Cherokee. Not 10 months later transmission had to be rebuilt. 10 months later again, transmission had to be replaced. Both times under warranty, but I have a feeling work was already done, before we got it. 1 year later we are having same problem: leaking fluid and starting to shift hard, taking it in for third time in less than 3 years. Never ever buying a Jeep again, for that matter any Chrysler-Daimler make.

Jeep no more
By TROPICAL JEEP on 10/17/08 08:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

The 3.7 L V-6 is a disappointment. After dealing with: transmission problems (apparently loose parts); a fuse box that took me a couple of weeks to determine where it was located and still haven't gotten a good look at them to change the one I think may be responsible for the windshield wiper washer not working; a leak inside the cabin every time it rains is driving me nuts (I don't have time for this, I need my car to work full time; strange outside wind noise which you will get used to, just as people who live near airports get used to airplane noise; in other words, if your time is precious and have to work for a living don't buy this car. Take your pick of problems!

A comfortable cruiser
By Bob on 09/15/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in an Acura. This Laredo is so much more comfortable on long trips. Especially visibility, soft adjustable seats for smaller people, lack of road noise. Getting 22.5 mpg on interstates, 65 mph, A/C always on, V- 6 motor, 2WD.